Update to “Cops read me the riot act.”

John Montpetit

Nothing has changed since my last post. I am riding in the mountains north of Kyoto and in fact I have begun a vlog about one of the ancient roads from a Kyoto to the coast. I should have it posted on YouTube in a week or two. I don’t ride anywhere near the city. Recently I rode along the Kamo river but I see that another rider was recently stopped by the police in the same area. I won’t ride there again. I just want to avoid the police and get as much riding as possible. My gut feeling is that the writing is on the wall ... euc riding other than in small parks is dead in Japan.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 9:44 AM, John Montpetit said:

My gut feeling is that the writing is on the wall ... euc riding other than in small parks is dead in Japan.

燈台下暗 (Tōdai moto kurashi) It’s dark at the bottom of the lighthouse! 😝 I am riding by the local police station twice a week, always greeting them friendly.

C895F5ED-07CE-4D65-B13F-33F313B2DB9E.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 10:16 PM, /Dev/Null said:

Can't wait to see your videos!

Now you have the chance! My first video, needs a lot of work but I would appreciate any feedback, thanks John You need to enter Electric Unicycle Touring in the YouTube search field.

Edited by John Montpetit

10 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

What a great video!

The first reaction I have had to my first video! You have no idea how that feels ... maybe you do! Thanks for the feed back and I will make note of the camera angle. I just bought a new GoPro 9 so I think the videos will improve. Thanks again, mike_bike_kite.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

The strategy for avoiding the cops and still getting in lots of riding is pretty simple, stay out of town and the rest off the prefecture is yours. I just did an 81 kilometre ride west and south/west of Kyoto with another euc rider who really knows the backroads near Kyoto. Absolutely fantastic, maybe 5 vehicles in 6 hours, perfect road conditions. I haven't done any riding in the city since the cops read me the riot act and it hasn't affected my riding at all. I have access to great topo maps showing the hundreds of kilometres of backroads in Kyoto prefecture and other parts of Japan. I'm planning on an epic ride to the coast soon. I'll let you know how that turns out.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, John Montpetit said:

The strategy for avoiding the cops and still getting in lots of riding is pretty simple, stay out of town and the rest off the prefecture is yours.

Its the same where I live (Germany). Riding an EUC on public roads is very strictly forbidden here (because they are uninsurable). I just put my EUC  in my car and drive a couple of kilometers to some sparsely populated areas I know near my hometown. Barely any traffic, and in more than 1.200km of riding I have never met any cops on the open road.

My hometown has such a maze of "play roads" (for kids, mandatory walking speed for all cars), barely used backroads, bicycle lanes and parks that I can travel from the southernmost tip to the big lake at the northernmost tip almost without having to use "normal" roads with car traffic. Its pretty great, unfortunately I cant go anywhere else, LOL.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 3:15 PM, John Montpetit said:

The strategy for avoiding the cops and still getting in lots of riding is pretty simple, stay out of town and the rest off the prefecture is yours.

One question: Do you have a basic insurance (like the ones that cover drone accidents and damage)? If not, I would strongly recommend to get one. It’s about 29.000 Yen/Year and as long as you don’t cause any deadly accidents it should cover most eventualities and might well give you another „joker“ (out of jail card) 😝 with our lovely police 👮‍♂️ 
Looking forward to your next video.

Edited by Toshio Uemura

On 2/8/2021 at 4:24 PM, Toshio Uemura said:

Do you have a basic insurance

Do you mean the insurance you can get at 7/11? I tried a few months ago but was refused when they saw my euc. How did you get insurance to put a sticker on your wheel?

Did you go to an insurance agent? Thanks, John

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 5:05 PM, mhpr262 said:

Its the same where I live (Germany). Riding an EUC on public roads is very strictly forbidden here (because they are uninsurable).

Same; Except I'm up in Hamburg...
Luckily(?) I live up in the northermost district, which is surrounded by forrests - which also means infinite hikig/biking paths, which which you can also travel throughout the region of the bordering state :-) 
I regulary ride my wheel (MSP ht) 28km down the path next to the river to get to our offices downtown; haven't gotten caught yet, though it's really just a matter of time :-/ 

I've done about 1.400km in the last 1 1/2 months.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Acilius said:

Same; Except I'm up in Hamburg...

I've done about 1.400km in the last 1 1/2 months.

Wow, it has taken me five months to rack up just under 1.800km, respect.

Thankfully the Bavarian police seem to be ignoring my wheel. Once they drove after me on a dirt road/Feldweg and when I stopped they just had a look at my wheel and laughed and drove away, they didnt even get out of their car. Recently I was passed by the police in a location where they could have stopped me just as easily, but they seemed to ignore me and just drove past me. Having a license plate from an online insurer (for a Segway ... :ph34r:) on the wheel sure seems to help. Entirely worth the 29€ per year.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/3/2021 at 2:30 PM, John Montpetit said:

Same here, I mean insurance. Finally I'm going to have insurance and I hope a sticker I can place on my wheel to give me a little strength. I've been going on some unbelievable 80 km. plus rides through the mountains . Good luck in Hamburg.

Hi there how have you been treated since you go insurance?

Did you get green flashing lights for your wheel ?