Nikola 84V faceplant due to electronic failure

MBIKER_SURFER

Today I experienced my first faceplant, which wasn't a riding fault. After 47 km at about 38% battery level, the Nikola stopped working. I was running at about 35 km/h.

Since my accident last year I'm always riding with wrist guard - that was my luck. Only bloody ellbows and knees. Nothing broken. I was slipping along the street on my wrist guards.

I realized a moment before crash, that the Nikola didn't balance anymore. Now you even can't sitch it off. Front and rearlights are flashing.

Outside conditions: 15°C - sunny - wind 4 bft - dry. 6000 km - 11 months old - mainboard factory stamp 16th June 2019.

Edited by MBIKER_SURFER

1 hour ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

Today I experienced my first faceplant, which wasn't a riding fault. After 47 km at about 38% battery level, the Nikola stopped working. I was running at about 35 km/h.

Since my accident last year I'm always riding with wrist guard - that was my luck. Only bloody ellbows and knees. Nothing broken. I was slipping along the street on my wrist guards.

I realized a moment before crash, that the Nikola didn't balance anymore. Now you even can't sitch it off. Front and rearlights are flashing.

Outside conditions: 15°C - sunny - wind 4 bft - dry. 6000 km - 11 months old - mainboard factory stamp 16th June 2019.

And what do you weigh? 

Sorry to hear this, glad you're ok though. I just saw your wrist photo yesterday, that was tough to look at. That visual will be in my mind if I'm ever getting too comfortable in the future on this thing and thinking I'll just go without guards for a short ride.

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

Hallo,

Servus!

I just found this broken cable from the liftup switch. Could this be the reason for my faceplant?

Is this switch a 'opener' or 'closer'. meaning, by pressing button it's opening or closing?

This is (should?) only be a button giving a signal to the processor. So no EUC will cut out / shut off due to any signal (or not) from a liftup switch.

Same with the power button - no EUC can be turned off while riding.

But since there are three wires to the button (two would be more than enough!), especially with black and red, it could be that the (logic) supply voltage is on this two cables. So if they are by whatever not only broken but shorted (and by this the whole supply voltage for the logic on the mainboard) this would cause a faceplant.

On 9/7/2020 at 2:27 PM, MBIKER_SURFER said:

Today I experienced my first faceplant, which wasn't a riding fault.

Just out of curiosity, what are the points that make you sure it was no overlean?

After 47 km at about 38% battery level, the Nikola stopped working. I was running at about 35 km/h.

The nikola 84V has about the same speed limits as the tesla 84V? Then there could be already quite a small safety margin at 38% and ~35 km/h: 

?

And there was no incline, acceleration, bump, hole or other road irregularity, wind gust, etc involved?

• Like 2

No - it was totally flat - as always. I don't have any hills here!!!!!!!

And no beeps or whatever during riding. If you are too fast, the Nikola beeps whatever percentage of battery - depending on the speed. And I wasn't too fast. And definitely no overleaning.

I'll try soldering this cables together - just to be sure, this isn't the fault. Although, I realized loosing balancing of the wheel. If you're pressing the liftup button you also don't have balancing mode until you stop pressing the button! These are just my thoughts - don't know wehther they are logical to EUC!!

My 100v nicolas has regular short drops of battery, with 38-39% losses spikes(from~88% battery) , i still didnt identify why but that may be what happened to you and then at 38% battery u just cut out due to this... I would never go past 15mph below 50% battery due to this.... 

Edited by Ronin Ryder

• 1 month later...