King song app

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wheel, a Kingsong 18XL, works absolutely perfect and is now in these corona-times my only mode of transportation. I think I have roughly 3500 km on the wheel. Initially I only used the Kingsong app. I had some trouble but they were resolved if I downloaded the app from the Kingsons website. It worked fine after that. However, last 6 months I started using the app EUC World and it gives me more settings than the Kingsong app and a nice link to my Samsung smart watch where I can control the wheel. Now I am only using the EUC World app because it can do all I want (and more). I have kept the Kingsong app on my phone just in case there will pop up a feature in the future that the EUC World app can't handle. However, that has not happened yet.

It is interesting to note that the Kingsong app downloaded from their website seem to behave differently compared to the app from Google Play. This must reflect a difference in the app from their website and from the app store / Google play. Furthermore, my Kingsong app is always running on the phone even when I am not using the wheel. I tried to force stop the Kingsong app but it automatically restarts again and is always running 24/7. Can this be a security risk since the app requires access to camera, microphone and GPS? Any thoughts (or even better validated information) on this... ...? ...perhaps a Kingsong representative wants to write a comment on this...? @Jack King Song

Edited by Enthusiast
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

My wheel, a Kingsong 18XL, works absolutely perfect and is now in these corona-times my only mode of transportation. I think I have roughly 3500 km on the wheel. Initially I only used the Kingsong app. I had some trouble but they were resolved if I downloaded the app from the Kingsons website. It worked fine after that. However, last 6 months I started using the app EUC World and it gives me more settings than the Kingsong app and a nice link to my Samsung smart watch where I can control the wheel. Now I am only using the EUC World app because it can do all I want (and more). I have kept the Kingsong app on my phone just in case there will pop up a feature in the future that the EUC World app can't handle. However, that has not happened yet.

It is interesting to note that the Kingsong app downloaded from their website seem to behave differently compared to the app from Google Play. This must reflect a difference in the app from their website and from the app store / Google play. Furthermore, my Kingsong app is always running on the phone even when I am not using the wheel. I tried to force stop the Kingsong app but it automatically restarts again and is always running 24/7. Can this be a security risk since the app requires access to camera, microphone and GPS? Any thoughts (or even better validated information) on this... ...? ...perhaps a Kingsong representative wants to write a comment on this...?

for him to do so you would likely have to tag him in here @Jack King Song.

21 hours ago, Enthusiast said:

It is interesting to note that the Kingsong app downloaded from their website seem to behave differently compared to the app from Google Play. This must reflect a difference in the app from their website and from the app store / Google play. Furthermore, my Kingsong app is always running on the phone even when I am not using the wheel. I tried to force stop the Kingsong app but it automatically restarts again and is always running 24/7. Can this be a security risk since the app requires access to camera, microphone and GPS? Any thoughts (or even better validated information) on this... ...? ...perhaps a Kingsong representative wants to write a comment on this...? @Jack King Song

Can you please send me a video through message of the app not being able to close?

The apps are the same except Google Play has to go through a approval process that was initially extremely delayed when we first relaunched this app. 

The app requires those features as there is a video recording feature (similar to darknessbot) where you can record video with the stats appear on the video, and GPS to be tracked on map. 

Most of the app will function fine without permission for those. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’m having issues logging into my wheel it asks for a password but I don’t know what the password is and when I try the serial number in full and the last 4 of the serial number nothing same I tried 0000 and it didn’t work at all I used darkness bot and kingsong app and both don’t work

Don't use the Kingsong app at all.  There is tons of malware.  I have been getting texts from hackers, never happened before in all the years I had my phone.  Don't disregard the malware warnings.  I normally don't bother with privacy but this app is the pits.

The app says "Turn on the GPS for better Bluetooth connection"  Which is crap.  The permissions are horrendous, your battery will drain way faster even with the app turned off.  If you have to get it to unlock a new wheel, use a burner phone and do it on a public wi-fi connection, not your home one.

I doubt Kingsong has anything to do with the app, probably contracted out.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:51 PM, Jack King Song said:

Can you please send me a video through message of the app not being able to close?

The apps are the same except Google Play has to go through a approval process that was initially extremely delayed when we first relaunched this app. 

The app requires those features as there is a video recording feature (similar to darknessbot) where you can record video with the stats appear on the video, and GPS to be tracked on map. 

Most of the app will function fine without permission for those. 

The kingsong app will not close unless I go into settings to force close it. 

The app is terrible, I got so many warnings of malware but was a fool and download it anyway.  Besides that, it requires many more permissions that the other apps don't.  It lies about having to turn on the gps, then if I don't want to it just closes so I can't see the screen.  See my post above.  Let me know if you need any video or photos from me.  I took screenshots.

I can't believe Kingsong would allow this app.

On 10/23/2020 at 5:41 PM, Jeffery Peralta said:

I’m having issues logging into my wheel it asks for a password but I don’t know what the password is and when I try the serial number in full and the last 4 of the serial number nothing same I tried 0000 and it didn’t work at all I used darkness bot and kingsong app and both don’t work

Try hitting cancel when it asks for the password. Worked for me but YMMV. You can set a password using several apps if you desire, I have enough passwords to forget already so mine is the cancel button. 

Edited by Tawpie
Add bit on password setting

On 10/23/2020 at 11:38 PM, AlaskanAlain said:

It lies about having to turn on the gps, then if I don't want to it just closes so I can't see the screen.

I ran into something similar when trying to set up a Bluetooth connection to other devices. Apparently Google DOES require GPS to be turned on in order to connect Bluetooth in many situations. I was surprised, but there IS a security concern without it (seems contradictory but the explanation made sense). I spent days trying to connect to this other device only to finally turn on GPS as the direction indicated and it went right through.

https://www.polidea.com/blog/a-curious-relationship-android-ble-and-location/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dgar said:

I ran into something similar when trying to set up a Bluetooth connection to other devices. Apparently Google DOES require GPS to be turned on in order to connect Bluetooth in many situations. I was surprised, but there IS a security concern without it (seems contradictory but the explanation made sense). I spent days trying to connect to this other device only to finally turn on GPS as the direction indicated and it went right through.

https://www.polidea.com/blog/a-curious-relationship-android-ble-and-location/

This is because some of Bluetooth LE devices acts as a "beacons" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy_beacon. So by just scanning for nearby Bluetooth LE devices app could use scan results to determine user location.

On 10/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, AlaskanAlain said:

The kingsong app will not close unless I go into settings to force close it. 

The app is terrible, I got so many warnings of malware but was a fool and download it anyway.  Besides that, it requires many more permissions that the other apps don't.  It lies about having to turn on the gps, then if I don't want to it just closes so I can't see the screen.  See my post above.  Let me know if you need any video or photos from me.  I took screenshots.

I can't believe Kingsong would allow this app.

We had reports previously about app not being able to close however it no longer seems to be an issue, can you send me a video recording please?

It asks for permissions as the app comes with many features like being able to track your ride. You do not have to allow them but you may miss out on some of the cool features. 
If you don't feel safe about the app just know that the app is downloadable through Google Play Store and is verified by Google. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t had any problems with the iOS version, it’s been fine. It does continue to use your location after it’s been closed though (blue menubar) so be aware of that. That kind of behavior is ok for me as I can use another app while it keeps tracking my trip, so when I want it to quit tracking me I force quit it.

I don’t know about malware, but Apple is pretty finicky about their walled garden so I put my trust there. And I keep my fingers crossed.