Tire Pressure Management System (TPM)

oliver

Dear Group, 

I have started using tire pressure management systems on my electric motorcycle and my truck and low and behold found out that it works really well on my KS-16X too. 

Check out the pictures and the link to the system. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RTB7WXK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pictures of TPM mounted on wheel and on hand

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually interested in something similar but I heard bad things about pressure-sensing valve caps (supposedly they compromise the shraeder valve safety mechanism for a weaker safety mechanism within the cap itself). I don't know if this was only true of cheaply-made caps I've read the reviews on or all of them. I would definitely love to have something like this that integrates with my phone, however (not a fan of standalone display I need to attach to something). If this works fine for you and doesn't leak air after a few months, I may jump on that bandwagon as well.

I use TPM with valve caps about two years on Gotway Monster.

TMP monitor is mounted on the right backpack strap, I am comfortable to look at it for control and can hear when it starts squeaking due to pressure loss.

My usual EUC tire pressure is about 1.2 - 1.5 bar for comfort trail riding. 

The tire аt 0.8-0.9 bar it is at risk of turning around and snapping the nipple, so pressure control is very important and the TPM saved the nipple at least twice.

Pressure loss is about 0.1 bar at 500 km - my usual week total rides. So I  pump the wheel about once a month.

6 hours ago, Alex Tsepkov said:

I just purchased TPMS sensors at local Walmart, and while they fit my wheel, there is now internal scraping when the wheel rotates (Gotway Tesla) due to the sensor size. Do you guys get low-profile sensors somewhere or just have larger EUC with more room inside?

You can use nipple adapters to connect the sensor - there are such corner adapters - 90 and 135 degrees or you can try to connect with a flexible hose - but in any case more space for the sensor on the big wheels.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like it's only a matter of time before TPMS becomes an option for EUCs. I mean, you only have one tire so the pressure of that tire is super important. Having that info available wired up to an alarm in EUC World would be transformational.

• 3 months later...

100% needs to be a feature going forward.   I haven't popped a tire or had a flat/leak but these stupid things have to be filled every 3-4 weeks at least.  I don't recall ever having to bother with the pressure on my car tires nearly as often, why are EUC's and such so much worse?

• 5 months later...

Sorry guys, I haven’t checked for such a long time and didn’t get notifications either. 

I want to sell my Sherman and that’s why I pulled the forum up and found all your replies about TPM Systems. 

On a side note: 
I had sold my 16X and the the new owner had something horrible happening to the wheel.
He slipped on metal grating in the harbor and saw his wheel slide in slow motion into the ocean water without having time to have a ceremony for a wet funeral :) 

I have not bothered installing a TPM system on my Sherman nor my V-11, but I still liked it on my 16X.  So I don’t know if this or any of these valve cap sensors would fit on any other wheel and if I was just lucky it fit so well on the 16X. 

I have to admit that having an additional readout is a bit cumbersome but I ended up just having it in a bag and check before I would ride. 

The integrity of these caps is pretty darn good in terms of making the valve leak. 
I have been using them on several cars now and even on a formula race car and regular race car with no issues. Even after long term use. 

It would be absolutely ideal if the EUC manufacturers would integrate it into the wheel, a small rim sensor would work, although yes, there is another point of failure again then and if you’d have to fix a leak at the sensor that is almost more annoying than fixing a flat that can’t be fixed with slime. 

Anyway, thanks for the replies and inputs and sorry for having dropped out of this. 

Here is the picture I found again in my albums of the sensor and how it fits on the 16X. 
https://share.icloud.com/photos/01DdV-8AQRVl36TRSQRcXTAbA#Round_Rock

Cheers

Oliver

Edited by oliver

It just seems a little overkill and a point of cost and failure. Its just too damn easy to step on the wheel and FEEL if its low or not. Unlike cars and heavier vehicles, we have a DIRECT connection to the only tire, via our feet. Seriuosly tho, isnt there some other more useful thing to spend money on? Its not like a tpms is going to prevent a tire from slowly going flat, quite the opposite. We had so many problems from tpms sensors in cars, it was VERY common for people to request they be removed. Lets not forget that it can create an imbalance if not balanced AFTER installing these things. K.I.S.S. people! Sometimes adding things that arent neccessary, create their own problems. In this case, increased points of failure, increased weight, increased costs and one more digital device to be concerned about. Hop on and feel the damn thing, or give a squeeze as I sometimes do before leaving, sheesh! THey also make handy dandy tire gauges that WONT create a slow leak. :facepalm:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I actually wholeheartedly agree by now ShanesPlanet. 

It was very convenient and created a level of consistency when I was a total beginner where I wasn’t able to really read the effect of the tire pressure well on the riding characteristics of the wheel. 
But by now, I can tell where I am in terms of the tire pressure and even enjoy the pros of a soft tire for a while until I refill it. 

I enjoyed experimenting with it though. 

And in terms of having to fiddle with another device linking into the phone or having an external readout that can fall off, and also has to be recharged makes it not pleasant anymore. 

Thanks for your input. 

Oliver

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

What about pedals that move up and down alternately, to reduce foot fatigue.

You could even use the motion to regen the battery!  :blink1:

so... a one wheeled bicycle?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

so... a one wheeled bicycle?

OMG... If that were the case, you could actually take out the batteries and just use the pedals.

And if you attached the pedals the right way, you could even get rid of the hub motor... With all that weight gone you could get awesome range!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

OMG... If that were the case, you could actually take out the batteries and just use the pedals.

And if you attached the pedals the right way, you could even get rid of the hub motor... With all that weight gone you could get awesome range!!!

Best range can only be achieved by wearing a pink tutu...

• Like 2