Jump to content

KS18 starting wheel bad idea?


Simply_Striking
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I have decided on the KS18.....and want to put the money down on it. Issue is I have never been on an EUC before. I have recently learned to ride a OneWheel, but found the speed and range a little limiting, picked it up very quick, i found it fairly simple but and EUC seems a bit harder.... Would it be a mistake to start on such a big wheel?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And if you are scared to scratch up the wheel? ...
Well I did not want to buy expensive special cushioning for my wheel - So I improvised. I used cardboard a lot of tape and some scissors. With some amount of work I was able to make a very scratch resistant cardboard shell for the e-wheel.
It did work and I could have even painted it black to look cool ;)

One caveat is that you have to make certain that the tape can be removed with alcohol later. This could be a problem If you have a rubberized black shell. I am not sure that using alcohol to remove residue from the tape will not hurt the rubberized layer... 

Today I would get some probably get some stretch foil and some soft cloth - Then I would just use the foil to fix the cloth (towel?) around the wheel shell. This should work quite well to stop any kind of scratches and it should also solve the tape residue problem ... 

Edited by Roland
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Which wheel model do you mean exactly?

18S (oold but still sold)

18L or 18XL?

S18, the latest with suspension?

You can learn on any wheel, and in doubt don't buy the wheel for learning, buy the wheel for how you think you'll use it:)

S18 with suspension, and yeah it is the wheel I will be using. Im am just worried that it may be a bad idea..... Like taking a 16 year old taking an f1 car in the streets to leanr how to drive....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Simply_Striking said:

S18 with suspension, and yeah it is the wheel I will be using. Im am just worried that it may be a bad idea..... Like taking a 16 year old taking an f1 car in the streets to leanr how to drive....

Nah, big and wide tire + high wheel = easy to learn. It's just quite heavy, but you can get used to it (it's not that heavy). Just pad it up thoroughly and before you ever ride it outside. Then after a few weeks you can take the padding off.

Great first wheel really, suspension and everything, and looks great:efefe00999:

Absolutely worst case, you just get a cheap learner wheel if you feel the thing is too big and heavy for your learning. But most likely everything will just work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 5:50 PM, Simply_Striking said:

S18 with suspension, and yeah it is the wheel I will be using. Im am just worried that it may be a bad idea..... Like taking a 16 year old taking an f1 car in the streets to leanr how to drive....

I just got the S18 yesterday. I have never been on an EUC before also. I started practicing this morning and by midday, i made it around  our business parking lot. I have to admit, It was intimidating and i did have a moment when i thought i may have made a mistake but I am now actually happy i got it. Keep with it! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/28/2020 at 5:04 PM, Josephch said:

I just got the S18 yesterday. I have never been on an EUC before also. I started practicing this morning and by midday, i made it around  our business parking lot. I have to admit, It was intimidating and i did have a moment when i thought i may have made a mistake but I am now actually happy i got it. Keep with it! 

Nocie thanks for this, have you ever done other form of sports that are balance related? Also did you order it from ewheels.. if so how long did it take?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2020 at 1:45 PM, Simply_Striking said:

Nocie thanks for this, have you ever done other form of sports that are balance related? Also did you order it from ewheels.. if so how long did it take?

 

Not really. I have a segway minipro for about 2 months that  i got to use use on the golf course to push my golf pushcart around. Thats where i got an interest in the ecu. I found some of the videos and was just so fascinated. I have put about 50 to 55 miles on it already.  I actually bought it from a private seller here on the forum. He purchased it from ewheels.com but not sure about the waiting time. 

I cant stop riding it. So hooked on it. Will be using it to try to commute to work in downey from los Angeles soon..trying to figure out the routes and see if there are any traffic rules i have to obey so i wont get ticketed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16.08.2020 at 15:49, Simply_Striking said:

Итак, я остановился на KS18 ... и хочу вложить в него деньги. Проблема в том, что я никогда раньше не был на EUC. Я недавно научился ездить на OneWheel, но обнаружил, что скорость и диапазон немного ограничивают, очень быстро освоил, мне это показалось довольно простым, но EUC кажется немного сложнее ... Было бы ошибкой начинать с такого большое колесо?

Why was it decided to take such a powerful and expensive unicycle at once? I would have taken a less powerful and cheaper one. Aren't you afraid to beat him on the first day? If you have never ridden, there will be a lot of falls at first. This will lead to breakage and scratches. Take 14S for a start. Then, as you learn to drive, you can take a more powerful EUC.
In general, look at the reviews of electric unicycles. Then decide what suits you best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2020 at 1:06 AM, gihis said:

Why was it decided to take such a powerful and expensive unicycle at once? I would have taken a less powerful and cheaper one. Aren't you afraid to beat him on the first day? If you have never ridden, there will be a lot of falls at first. This will lead to breakage and scratches. Take 14S for a start. Then, as you learn to drive, you can take a more powerful EUC.
In general, look at the reviews of electric unicycles. Then decide what suits you best.

Good point. That was my plan in the beginning to buy a used euc but the prices that i saw for used, i didn't think it was a good choice for me personally until i saw the s18 for sale here in the forum. I know if i get a v8 (what i was looking at before i found the s18) i would like something faster or more long range soonervotlr later and would have to invest into another euc. So i went with the s18 as a first Euc, I figured, I'll ride slow and learn, i,ve seen many euc youtubers with lots of experience drop or take a fall, figured im bound to drop it sooner or later. I do love it no regrets. I have dropped it a couple times but no falls so far...knock on wood. 

Edited by Josephch
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

On 9/4/2020 at 4:06 AM, gihis said:

Why was it decided to take such a powerful and expensive unicycle at once?

I get what you are saying saying, but I have not intention of going through 2 wheels, or going through the hassle of buying and then selling, and then buying another. When it comes to looks I plan to vinyl wrap the panels anyway, or just tape cardboard over it for a few weeks while I learn.

 

8 hours ago, Josephch said:

i would like something faster or more long range soonervotlr later and would have to invest into another euc.

Yup this is the deciding point for me as well, I want some thing that will suit my needs, vs going through the buying 2x hassle. I am committed to the S18 and just waiting for KingSong to fix the issues with the their first few batches before ordering. Taking the wheel apart to fix suspension issues a few people are reporting is not my cup of tea.
So far I have ordered a Ruroc full face helmet, that can convert to open face, and knee/shin guards. On the fence for elbow pads as I may just get a jacket..... but I live in Florida so it is a toss up....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Simply_Striking said:

 I am committed to the S18 and just waiting for KingSong to fix the issues with the their first few batches before ordering. Taking the wheel apart to fix suspension issues a few people are reporting is not my cup of tea.

Then wait for KingSong to fix the bugs. And found where to buy already?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Simply_Striking said:

So far I have ordered a Ruroc full face helmet, that can convert to open face, and knee/shin guards. On the fence for elbow pads as I may just get a jacket..... but I live in Florida so it is a toss up....

Please also make sure to get some good quality wrist guards!  I personally consider them most definitely the second 'must have/wear' safety item, after a helmet!

Edited by fbhb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2020 at 1:50 AM, Simply_Striking said:

S18 with suspension, and yeah it is the wheel I will be using. Im am just worried that it may be a bad idea..... Like taking a 16 year old taking an f1 car in the streets to leanr how to drive....

Personally I don't think it's a clever idea. These suspension wheels are all quite fragile and it's inevitable you're going to fall a lot while learning.  It's also difficult to fully protect suspension wheels with padding. The other issue is these wheels weigh more than a fully loaded suitcase and, every time you drop it, you'll have to pick it up.  Why buy an expensive, fragile and specialist wheel when you're just starting out and haven't a clue what you want from a wheel? 

You should really start by saying what you want the wheel for, how much you weigh and whether you have to manage stairs etc. Get a 2nd hand wheel if you can or buy something rugged like a V10f or a V8f and get the cover that goes with it. The KS16S is also quite rugged and has been around a long time.  When you've ridden your wheel for a while you'll then know what wheel actually suits your use case. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2020 at 5:44 PM, Simply_Striking said:

 

 

I get what you are saying saying, but I have not intention of going through 2 wheels, or going through the hassle of buying and then selling, and then buying another. When it comes to looks I plan to vinyl wrap the panels anyway, or just tape cardboard over it for a few weeks while I learn.

 

Yup this is the deciding point for me as well, I want some thing that will suit my needs, vs going through the buying 2x hassle. I am committed to the S18 and just waiting for KingSong to fix the issues with the their first few batches before ordering. Taking the wheel apart to fix suspension issues a few people are reporting is not my cup of tea.
So far I have ordered a Ruroc full face helmet, that can convert to open face, and knee/shin guards. On the fence for elbow pads as I may just get a jacket..... but I live in Florida so it is a toss up....

The vinyl wrap doesn't work really well. I tried it and the first drop, it scratched through and i could see the panels. I took the vinyl wraps off in one day. I stuck some pads on the corner of the panels using soft paddings i found on amazon. Its a corner padding for furniture to protect babies when they start walking i think. Here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/KOOLDOO-15-7ft-Multi-Purpose-Coverage-Proofing/dp/B07CQT344B/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1QZDPOXYMSTRV&dchild=1&keywords=kooldoo+15.7ft+extra+wide+edge+corner+guards&qid=1599602009&sprefix=kooldoo+15.7%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-5

It worked out well for me. I dropped it twice so far and it seems to protect it well so far and you get a lot of it so you can always replace it if it wears out. Someone has posted before. 

  Its been 11 days since i purchased the s18 as a newbie, and i can't get enough of it. I have been on it every single day and on Sunday i finally accomplished my goal of riding it up to the Griffith Observatory from Los Angeles and back and then on Monday took it back to the trails at Griffith park and rode there for a couple of hours hoping not to get lost. I don't know if i am lucky, but i got the hang of riding the Euc pretty quick. I can't seem to keep away from it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...