Knobby tire for Inmotion V10

Cychotic

Anyone tried knobby tire for the V10?  Kuji's test of street vs knobby tire on the Sherman and he stated that the knobby tire has more stability.  I am curious if this would apply to the V10 with the below knobby tire.

https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/16ramxtionfr.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgo_5BRDuARIsADDEntQ4aVuz7xPueyirAzRaWfW-mM3t0EwrvRP3ChZtyHcVHAUwREzZ0sgaAi8vEALw_wcB

• Like 1

This is just the kind of information I need since I plan to buy Inmotion V10F. I plan to use this euc even on winter. For that I need knobby tire and studs. Please keep this topic updated.

I wonder, what is the maximum load capacity of this tire?

Edited by Wolverine
Question has beed added

I wonder, what is the maximum load capacity of this tire?

Whatever it is, you don’t need to worry about it at EUC speeds. Just keep the tire in a pressure that carries you sufficiently. The optional pressure depends on the rigidity is the tire, rider weight, as well as riding circumstances and preferences.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

@mrelwood Do you think that knobby 16x2.4 (64-305) fits to Inmotion V10/V10F (16x2.5)? Or do you have better suggestions for us which tire to choose? Even better if you can give us examples.

Edited by Wolverine
Suggestion and examples.

3 hours ago, Wolverine said:

@mrelwood Do you think that knobby 16x2.4 (64-305) fits to Inmotion V10/V10F (16x2.5)? Or do you have better suggestions for us which tire to choose? Even better if you can give us examples.

16x2.4 probably would fit the V10. Unfortunately I haven’t seen a 16x ~2.5” knobby/dual purpose tire that I would’ve liked to try.

I just fitted a 64-305 knobbly to my V10F from here: https://www.einradladen.com/16-x-24-Inch-64-305-Trials-Tire

My motivation was to minimise the spinning that occurs in time of low traction and/or maximise traction in loose surfaces.

Fits well, although it took a little while to seat it evenly due to distortion from packing/shipping.  Once seated evenly it fits perfectly, it's about the same size and shape as the stock tyre.

Initial impressions are very strong, though admittedly this is only riding around a garden.  Noise on the hard stuff isn't too bad but noticeably louder than the stock tyre.  I'm initially very impressed and looking forward to my first true offroad ride.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, StuartL said:

I just fitted a 64-305 knobbly to my V10F from here: https://www.einradladen.com/16-x-24-Inch-64-305-Trials-Tire

My motivation was to minimise the spinning that occurs in time of low traction and/or maximise traction in loose surfaces.

Fits well, although it took a little while to seat it evenly due to distortion from packing/shipping.  Once seated evenly it fits perfectly, it's about the same size and shape as the stock tyre.

Initial impressions are very strong, though admittedly this is only riding around a garden.  Noise on the hard stuff isn't too bad but noticeably louder than the stock tyre.  I'm initially very impressed and looking forward to my first true offroad ride.

@StuartL Glad you found this forum. Thank you very much for sharing this information with us. Could you please keep us informed regarding of your experience with this knobby tire?

I did a couple of miles this morning on the V10 with the above tyre.

TL;DR: Excellent, very pleased.

Detailed analysis:

The weather has been very warm and dry for the UK, the ground was almost entirely hard packed clay soil with the normal woodland loose surface (twigs, dry leaves, etc).  Linking trails are hard packed dirt road with a packed small shingle surface.

The wheel is my Inmotion V10F with home-made 25mm (1") neoprene foam jump pads/power pads and the above tyre.

The tyre is labelled as "Innova 64-305 16x2.4" and specifies to be inflated to 40psi.  I ran 30 psi for this test.  Note that there is no distinction in the manufacturer or model of this tyre, it simply says "Innova".

On all dry surfaces (woodland trail, the packed mud and the packed trail) the tyre seemed to grip well enough for all my uses.  I didn't try carving hard or pushing the limits of grip but there were no surprises, weird turning characteristics or loss of traction.

Bumping over tree roots felt natural and easy and this is an area where the stock tyre suffered significantly.  The road tread on the stock tyre has a smooth (slick) surface around the perimeter and any slippery tree root caused 'interesting' behaviour.  I had a few side-ways slips with the Innova tyre but all were small/trivial, easily corrected and didn't feel unstable.  The tread on this tyre has all the blocks lined up in lines parallel to the axle and this gives a significant advantage when climbing over a tree root at lower speeds.

There were a very small number of gummy muddy sections which I mostly avoided (why get crud on the wheel unnecessarily?) but the few I did go through showed the massive advantages of a knobbly tyre.  It felt squishy but wholly stable and the wheel didn't struggle for grip at all at the steady speeds I was doing.

On an unrelated note: This is the first woodland run I've done with the pads on the wheel and OMG did it make a positive difference.  Jumping the wheel over the larger roots and small logs was easy and a great deal of fun :D

Edit: Additional note.  I just ran out for a couple of miles on the road to see what it's like.  It's noisy for sure but not as bad as you might think.  It's also not particularly great when carving so I could not recommend this tyre for road use.  For off road with occasional road (my use) it'd be fine.

Edited by StuartL
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cychotic said:

I still haven't had a chance to install it yet.  But the tire that StuartL linked looks identical to mine in the picture.  Except mine says is branded as "Qind" instead.  Still update soon.

Thank you for replying to this thread, we look forward to your experience with this tire.

I contacted with electricunicycles.eu and asked if they had a knobby tire for V10/V10F. They replied to me that they use their V10Fs these tires:

https://www.electricunicycles.eu/16_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(red)_(16x2125)-c__295

https://www.electricunicycles.eu/16_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(black)_(16x2125)-c__296

They also commented that 16 x 2.125 is a bit narrower but fits V10F and makes turning easier. Unfortunately, these are not knobby enough for me. Maybe someone else thinks this option suits him, so I brought it to daylight.

• Like 1

Did some more riding on pavement and it is obviously not as good as the original tire.  But it is good enough for this wheel.  The turning require more lean to it.  Again it was expected.  Overall I am satisfied with the change as it gives me alot more confident for offroad.

5 hours ago, Wolverine said:

I contacted with electricunicycles.eu and asked if they had a knobby tire for V10/V10F. They replied to me that they use their V10Fs these tires:

https://www.electricunicycles.eu/16_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(red)_(16x2125)-c__295

https://www.electricunicycles.eu/16_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(black)_(16x2125)-c__296

They also commented that 16 x 2.125 is a bit narrower but fits V10F and makes turning easier. Unfortunately, these are not knobby enough for me. Maybe someone else thinks this option suits him, so I brought it to daylight.

I wonder if those tire has larger outter diameter.  But yes, the thread looks disappointing.  At least the tire I am using have decent threads.  Only downside again is the smaller outter diameter.

Edited by Cychotic

Today the new "Innova" tyre had a serious hard core run.

TL;DR: Still my first choice tyre for my use.

Conditions were extremely wet, it rained most of the day and the ground was a mix of mushy mud, hard packed trail and rocky outcrops.

On the trail, across the grass and in the mud the tyre performed flawlessly, climbing up and over anything placed in its path.  The V10F is excellent in this environment and akin to the mountain goat of off-road EUC.  It performed WAY better than the three MSX on the same outing!

The rocks and wet stones were its Achilles heel.  Climbing over stones when perpendicular to the stone was easy but the tyre did suffer greatly when the tread blocks couldn't find an edge to grip.  In these circumstances the tyre failed to grip completely and the tyre slipped.  Based upon the performance of other tyres in the group I do not think there was a tyre present which could find grip on these wet slippery rocks.

The road sections were fine.  The noise was a little more obvious since we were doing longer road runs but still no worse than a mountain bike.

Overall I loved the tyre.  It embarrassed quite a few other (way more expensive) EUCs ridden by very experienced riders.  Would recommend without hesitation if you're looking to off-road on your EUC.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/10/2020 at 6:13 PM, StuartL said:

I bought exactly the same tire. Pumped it to my usual 2.8 bar (I'm a bit over 60 kg with full gear). First experience (<10 km) is that it makes an awesome difference in mud and similar terrain. I took a quick few km ride through a forest, with plenty of mud and fallen leaves (the high of autumn is here) and while it did slip sometimes, I was able to go almost as fast as when the paths are dry and not covered with a layer of wet leaves, even up/down a quite steep hill. Only when the mud was really deep I had some issues, but I was still able to ride through. With a stock tire, I wouldn't even get to those places.

However (and it's a big however), the tire is terrible at turning and carving. It just wants to go straight, even if my pedals are scratching the ground. Carving is a no-no, and I have to slow down around corners to turn the wheel using more force and body twists. It's not a gyro feeling - the wheel will tip to sides happily (too happily, given that it is unable to straighten itself). It just goes straight. Which has it's advantages off-road, as it is easier to ride straight in uneven terrain and with ditches in every direction, but even there the inability to turn easily is not comfortable.

I will try to experiment with different pressures and I will update this eventually, when I get accustomed to the tire (or decide to ditch it).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zopper said:

Pumped it to my usual 2.8 bar (I'm a bit over 60 kg with full gear)

I think you're a little lighter than me (I'm probably closer to 70kg, though it saddens me to admit it!) and I tend to run a much lower tyre pressure, maybe 1.8-2 bar.  The tyre is not great on the road, it's too narrow and too small a profile radius to be able to carve, but my off-road experience was very similar to yours.

• Like 1

Well, I tried to pump it up to 3.5 or so, to see how it behaves overinflated, and the turning got better. Still nowhere near the stock tire, but it is noticeably more comfortable on road. I might try to go lower with the pressure, but as I'm riding up and down curbs quite a lot, and in the woods, I'm jumping over stones and roots, I'm quite afraid of going under 2.5 because of rim damage. Even with my pressure, I got a few light snake bites on the rim.

I like to thank all who posted here in this thread. I am on the lookout for a real winter solution, and once snow ans ice hits my area I am expecting to go back to my V19f until we get spring. Now I could do this on my KS16x or KS18L too, but The V10f is maybe easier to fo a tire instalation on, once you know the trick to take off side panels without them cracking.

Now I don't expect you having much snow in the UK, so it is hard to estimate how well it will do in these conditions. But any thoughs you could share would be nice.

@Wolverinehave you found a nordic winter tire that suits the V10f yet?