Gotway 18 Arrived today what do I need to know?

9 minutes ago, Donafello said:

Sounds like your doing it correctly but it seems like calibration is off because if its starting to move instantly then there is a issue. Try again. If not I think you need to return it.

Ya watch these videos when you get home if you can.

https://youtu.be/hIQKbWl2WsY

I hopped on after this video and tried but same result I could get going but my feet got stuck in the bad position once again.

Just so everyone knows that I'm not a EU loser here I am riding a NineBot with no issues.

https://youtu.be/DgV1lKTJeU0

5 minutes ago, SirGeraint said:

I'm not sure if either of these will help fix the problem but:

1) turn the MSuper on before you stand on it

2) move your feet more forward.

Tried both and they don't help.

30 minutes ago, Donafello said:

Sounds like your doing it correctly but it seems like calibration is off because if its starting to move instantly then there is a issue. Try again. If not I think you need to return it.

Ya watch these videos when you get home if you can.

I hopped on after this video and tried but same result I could get going but my feet got stuck in the bad position once again.

Just so everyone knows that I'm not a EU loser here I am riding a NineBot with no issues.

16 minutes ago, SirGeraint said:

I'm not sure if either of these will help fix the problem but:

1) turn the MSuper on before you stand on it

2) move your feet more forward.

Tried both and they don't help.

The app your using looks different from mine. The ui and everything looks different. I still can't see what the issue is from the video. I did see your feet are not even and your left one is sticking further out then your right one. Also why are you starting it with one fot on the unit. I always start mine before i get on

21 minutes ago, Donafello said:

The app your using looks different from mine. The ui and everything looks different. I still can't see what the issue is from the video. I did see your feet are not even and your left one is sticking further out then your right one. Also why are you starting it with one fot on the unit. I always start mine before i get on

Hmm can you send me APK for the one your using or a link to it.  

It starts to take off by itself as soon as I turn it on.  

3 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Could you try to ride in the opposite direction just to see if it would still go in reverse?

Yes that does fix that issue. 

1 hour ago, Donafello said:

@Donafello

So with yours your able to turn it on and just stand on it without it staring to move ?

I don't have a GotWay, but I do a lot of Gadget stuff.  It looks to me that when you lift off the ground, it does not allow the device to enter into Calibration Mode when you press the button in the app because of the wheel having been off the ground and a fault being thrown.

When you first turn it on, can you lean the device enough to get the wheel to stop pushing it?  In other words, in your video "Gotway Calibration", when it presses against you, lean it towards you till it stops trying to roll.  It appears that the calibration is so far off that it's trying to right itself, but since it's off, cannot find level.  Give it the false level it believes it should be at.  Lean it as much as needed to get the wheel to stop pushing...

If you are able to do that, then press the calibration button in the app and proceed again and see if it calibrates.  Of course placing it level after you've entered calibration mode and you do the actual calibration.

Here is a video that I HOPE makes this clearer.  I'm tired and realize I'm being confusing right now.

This may not work, but it's worth a quick try.

1 hour ago, whitecow said:

@Donafello

So with yours your able to turn it on and just stand on it without it staring to move ?

You should be able to turn it on and it will level itself and stay there without moving.  It should only move if you lean it forward or back.

26 minutes ago, Donafello said:

If i turn it on and its on a level surface it wont start to move by itself!

SOB not what I'm seeing. 

2 hours ago, SuperSport said:

I don't have a GotWay, but I do a lot of Gadget stuff.  It looks to me that when you lift off the ground, it does not allow the device to enter into Calibration Mode when you press the button in the app because of the wheel having been off the ground and a fault being thrown.

When you first turn it on, can you lean the device enough to get the wheel to stop pushing it?  In other words, in your video "Gotway Calibration", when it presses against you, lean it towards you till it stops trying to roll.  It appears that the calibration is so far off that it's trying to right itself, but since it's off, cannot find level.  Give it the false level it believes it should be at.  Lean it as much as needed to get the wheel to stop pushing...

If you are able to do that, then press the calibration button in the app and proceed again and see if it calibrates.  Of course placing it level after you've entered calibration mode and you do the actual calibration.

Here is a video that I HOPE makes this clearer.  I'm tired and realize I'm being confusing right now.

This may not work, but it's worth a quick try.

Will give this a try and report back. 

4 minutes ago, Donafello said:

You spent a pretty penny on this unit. I know it sucks but I would try and return it or swap it witth another one

Ya returning shouldn't be an issue.  Disappointed I can't show it off at thanksgiving :)  Have a farm in Ohio that I planned to ride it all around. 

On 11/24/2015, 4:16:19, Linneaunicycles said:

Nothing you need to know if you are not a new learner. Just remember to connect the power first then connect the unicycle secondly when charging it. But if you are a new learner, pay more attention about the sharp pedal if it will hit you. And pay attention to the alarm speed, raise pedal speed, these is warn before it shut off when keeping speed up. 

For the ninebot they said plug the charger in the EU first then plug it into the wall. Is it different on the gotway then?

@whitecow , dude, I hate to say this, but that Gotway seems like it wants to kill you for some reason!

How psyched are you right now that this is an Amazon purchase? At least if you have to throw in the towel on this individual EU, there is a reasonable chance of a civilized return. I guess my first bit of advice is don't grenade it too much so that you can get all the pieces back in the box.

I was sad when I read the pages of this topic because I really love the ride on my Gotway, and it is a disappointment that what I'm sure was an eagerly awaited purchase.

I don't have much substantial to add to what has been said above. I agree this is not normal behavior. Since the Gotway motor can really fling you down the highway I would be very careful with one that was behaving erratically. You may want to cover your head and wrists while you experiment with it.

I appreciate that you posted the video of you on the Ninebot, because for a moment I thought you were trying to learn to EU on the Gotway! Not that there is anything too outlandish about that, but I find it easier to train people on a smaller wheel because the Gotway larger size and higher center of gravity is definitely more wobbly until you get up to a reasonable speed.

I differ with what some have said above: I have never felt even a hint of tiltback from the Gotway, and I think that at least my individual one does not do any tiltback. There is only the audible warnings and the wind tearing up your eyes to clue you in to how close you are to the DANGER ZONE!

From what I could tell from your videos

- you gave everyone a chance to harp on turning the unit on after you have stepped on the pedal

- Mine does not give any backwards wheel spin like yours does. I'm mystified why in some of your videos you are able to roll forward with your heels tilted back.

- Soft mode is useless: the sensation of an EU on a water bed. Comfort mode is tolerable. Madden mode is the only way to work with your EU as one.

- I have a bulky foam "hat" on my Gotway because I like to lean forward and back using my shins and knees to transmit the angle, rather than just my feet. I ride with the open "V" forward pedal arangement (power button on right, pedals in original position) I've tried riding it turned around (power button on left) but I see no advantage. For a high speed lean forward it is nice to have that wide tip of the "V" under my toes.

- The Gotway has this automatic restart function: I wipe out, the EU is on it's side, it gives slow beeps, I orient it right side up, it gives a long beep, and motor snaps back on. It saves the step of turning off and on again. When you are delicately perched on top of the Gotway in the video with it giving you no love, it almost seems like it is in that refractory phase , waiting to be put into balanced position before it gives you some help.

If you are not going to return it (I would), I agree with the advice people have given to try and tilt it around to get it balanced, then recalibrate it to balance flat. Just be careful it doesn't try to eat your fingers as you tip it back and forth to find that balance point.

I really hope you can break this mustang because it is a fun ride!

Archived