KS18XL fan?

null

What type of cooler fan does the KS18XL use?

I’ve searched through everywhere and can’t seem to find. It doesn’t appear in the KS disassembly video either.

Mine is making crappy fan noises, and I’d like to order / find a replacement before opening the wheel.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by null

45 minutes ago, null said:

What type of cooler fan does the KS18XL use?

Picture of the mainboard i found at https://ecodrift.ru/2018/11/29/kingsong-ks-18xl-chernoe-na-belom-i-chto-spryatano-vnutri/

In https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/15349-can-someone-show-me-a-photo-of-the-ks18xl-motherboard/

"Best" visible on https://eunicycles.eu/en/spare-parts/135-motherboard-ks-18lxl-newest-spec-v13.html

Doing a google search for ks18xl board and looking at the pictures maybe leads you even further.

Should be a radial radiator - roughly like https://www.mouser.at/ProductDetail/Sunon/MF50151VX-B00U-A99?qs=EU6FO9ffTwfWIV5p3irB3g==

As one can guess from the photos the fan is between the four big capacitors and the heatsink - ?with an opening in the heatsink as air input?

So you'd need quite exactly the same model, so everything works out... And still some skills to get mouting right.

Btw: maybe something got (partially) inside and just touching the rotor blades making the noise!? Or playing roulette inside the fan...

Edit: ps: there exist different ks18xl mb versions...

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot @Chriull for the investigation and all the links. I had looked, but being on mobile hadn’t realized it was sandwiched with the logic board. It certainly corresponds to some type of standard.

It makes the sounds of a fan that one can touch to make the bad harmonics / synergies go away.. shaking the wheel can help. I’ll go with dual ball bearings if possible as they should be more durable.

@SDmike great, thanks a lot  for the reference. I’ll look at finding a corresponding fan, posting here.

• 11 months later...

So, a year later. (recap: fan rattles in a coughing irregular manner, want to replace)
Got a (second hand :/ ) replacement fan. (There where no corresponding sizes or standard I could find)

Inspecting the board there is about 1mm between the fan and the heatsink, so it might have been possible to use a slightly thicker unit. edit: no the fan pulls air from both sides.

Getting it replaced looks difficult: Being under the capacitors one of the screws holding it to the heatsink is inaccessible. One would have to both disconnect / move some larger cables (motor etc) (ok enough) but also (worse) bend at least one capacitor up and away. I really would like to avoid putting any wear on those legs.

If anyone has a better method to replace the fan I'm interested, it doesn't seem like anyone have documented the process till now. (or even done it at all)

IMG_0211.jpg.90a96e26ee13bb020565730cd91fb744.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg.d870f63b464a607fb1a7f56fdbfdc3de.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg.08a35c04c8386d3774b75b7ae02e65f6.jpg

Edited by null

• null changed the title to KS18XL fan?

I bet you can get a new fan when you buy a new wheel :)   Seems to me like I wouldnt tackle that for maintenance, as itll put stress on too much stuff and undermine your intentions. If a fan went bad, I'd say the hard way is the only way. Gotta gently pry up some caps and have official chinese wheel glue ready. I dont envy you on wanting to replace that!

• Like 1

Receive my 18XL in a couple more weeks.  I'm going to add another fan in the area of the control board.  The goal is to "evacuate" hot air around the control board and that compartment.  I did this on a control box on my electric truck and it worked out very well for pulling heat out of the box.

Edited by Senior Coffee

8 minutes ago, Senior Coffee said:

Receive my 18XL in a couple more weeks.  I'm going to add another fan in the area of the control board.  The goal is to "evacuate" hot air around the control board and that compartment.  I did this on a control box on my electric truck and it worked out very well for pulling heat out of the box.

Are you having overheat issue? The old 'if it aint broke don't fix it" comes to mind.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 7:30 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Are you having overheat issue? The old 'if it aint broke don't fix it" comes to mind.

These are known to run hot "out of the box" as the saying goes.  I can see why.  There is a very small fan and the inlet is mostly covered by capacitors so I think some of the airflow is blocked.  Once the air is pushed past the control board and collects more heat there doesn't appear to be any exit for the hot air.  It' appears to be a similar situation to my electric S10 where the heated air just stays inside the "plastic box".  The top of the wheel in this case.  Of course I'll take a closer look when it's finally shipped.

The number that's been quoted has been at least 10 degrees hotter than other wheels.  I'll be in AZ soon and the summer temps there is just going to add to the inherent temp issue of this wheel.  Think of it as preventative maintenance.  It's cool to have another NC guy on here.  I grew up in Jacksonville, NC. 

Edited by Senior Coffee

On 6/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

I bet you can get a new fan when you buy a new wheel :)   Seems to me like I wouldnt tackle that for maintenance, as itll put stress on too much stuff and undermine your intentions. If a fan went bad, I'd say the hard way is the only way. Gotta gently pry up some caps and have official chinese wheel glue ready. I dont envy you on wanting to replace that!

Thanks for the consideration. Conclusion was: the caps are bending down the fan because one of them is soldered a bit short. Bending to give more distance would be difficult and risky. New fan wouldn’t change anything. It might have been possible to grind off some spacer tube to compensate but meh. The EUC is going to a colder country now, and rarely had to kick in the fan anyway (at about 50 degrees AFAIK). So be it. A new controller board is expensive.

@Senior Coffee This EUC rarely overheats (or even kick in the fan) in normal use, and the space is cramped in there. You might benefit from waiting to see if you find the temp problematic.

@Roadpower I believe the fan kicks in at 52C, so around there is acceptable at least, not sure the max is. You could monitor it a bit with an app.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

I've yet to see any of mine get hot, but I'm also not in the desert, don't weigh much, and don't ride faster than 27mph:innocent1:.. Adding a secondary fan sounds like an easier solution than replacing/upgrading at least. I also run a rollNZ on mine, but again, i dont live in +100F climates.

Edited by ShanesPlanet