Can someone show me a photo of the KS18XL Motherboard?

seage

Hi everyone. Im currently switching my wheel to a new inner case due to a break and while i was taking off the cover for the motherboard (with all the batteries disconnected) the motherboards speaker let out a loud beep. It was about a second or 2 long before turning off and that was that. Made me worry that i somehow disconnected something. If anyone has heard that sound or knows what it is could tell me id be happy. For now, i'd like to double check and make sure my board is in the same condition as everyone elses. 

ks1.jpg

ks2.jpg

ks3.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

After you disconnect the batteries you should always turn the wheel on to drain the capacitors too... If you hadn't done that and the board powered up as you were removing the cover (did you possibly hit the power buttopn) then you would hear a beep like that. And it would have seemed a lot louder than normal too (they always do when the case is apart).

This one may be slightly different to yours as this ia a v1.3 board, but here are some photos... It is a spare, so if you want to see anything closer up I can easily take more photos - just let me know.

KS-18XL v1.3 Control Board

Thank you so much! Seems like everything is in working order. And yes, it was super loud. I didnt know that i needed to drain the capacitors. That answers my questions completely, thank you! Im brand new to this, but im happy to finally be getting under the hood and truly understanding my wheel. Almost done with the switch now. Then gonna gear up like the winter soldier and take it for a spin to see if i messed up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Did you remember to add a silicone sealant around where the two inner shells join?

Yes sir! Everything but the heatsink. Do i need to add any around the hole where the wires from the wheel/motor come through into the case?

• Upvote 1

Good question...

Since your wheel was made KS have started doing just that (at least, they did it on the 16S I just toredown). Though if there is that much water inside the cover, then you have more to worry about than water getting into the motor.

What I also do is put a thin stripof duct tape running up the padal hanger and onto the motor wires. So it sits between the inner cover and the pedal hanger (below the motor wires) and you can see it coming out and over the motor wires.

The reason I do this is that, should you need to remove the motor again, it provides a "ramp" of sorts to help the case slide over the motor wires (without catching or damaging the motor wires). You still need to flex the case outward, but it doesn't have the angled edge of the cable to get in the way.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, seage said:

Hi everyone. Im currently switching my wheel to a new inner case due to a break and while i was taking off the cover for the motherboard (with all the batteries disconnected) the motherboards speaker let out a loud beep. It was about a second or 2 long before turning off and that was that. Made me worry that i somehow disconnected something. If anyone has heard that sound or knows what it is could tell me id be happy. For now, i'd like to double check and make sure my board is in the same condition as everyone elses. 

ks1.jpg

ks2.jpg

ks3.jpg

I am doing the same thing. Can you please take some extra photos as you put this back together. 

I had it at service for rework (lamp and trolley, both v1idsues) and they have silicone glues parts together so I were fighting hard to get this apart. In the end I did get as good and many pictures as I liked. 

17 hours ago, Unventor said:

I am doing the same thing. Can you please take some extra photos as you put this back together. 

I had it at service for rework (lamp and trolley, both v1idsues) and they have silicone glues parts together so I were fighting hard to get this apart. In the end I did get as good and many pictures as I liked. 

Its already back together now, and took it out for a ride today (it was back before this message, im sorry!) Did you have any questions in particular, while its all fresh in my mind? 

And yeah! we had unscrewed the case and tried to pull it apart and were so confused what was going on. It wasnt until we looked in the well that we saw the silicone. The lamp seemed to not have anything on it, nor the trolly except at the very bottom, that red stuff. I guess to seal it from any water that gets in the bottom of the case. 

But yeah, i didnt take enough either. But i have a few that i can post later, once i transfer em. 

• Like 1

I don't think I am putting it back together anytime soon, maybe week 37...but I need a new lamp unit because I think it broke due to the silicone added from previous service (that my dealer did). 

Right now the biggest issue is the cable harness that in my frustration pulled out but didn't log what goes where, at least well enough I think. 

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

I don't think I am putting it back together anytime soon, maybe week 37...but I need a new lamp unit because I think it broke due to the silicone added from previous service (that my dealer did). 

Right now the biggest issue is the cable harness that in my frustration pulled out but didn't log what goes where, at least well enough I think. 

I'm happy to help... Just ask specific questions...

You are a darling @The Fat Unicyclist.

Right now I am getting hold of spare parts so once I start I can complete the job. 

As for you tip using tape to protect the motor and it cables. Do you have a picture of it just so I don't get it wrong. I have an idea what you are on about... But never the less. 

Right now I have gotten a new structure, incomming 2x sidecovers and top cover. I ordered the rtv silicone to seal the structure joining. 

I am getting price on 2 lamp units and the edge cover part that holds the lamp (2 pieces). 

I had a connector that was glued together with some white/yellowish stuff but when I pried them apart the plastic of the connector cracked as the glue had made it brittle. 

Right now everything is packed down so once I get my parts I start rebuilding the wheel. Hopefully I don't have to replace the connector. But I have properly colleagues that can assist if it comes to that. 

Most parts seems fairly simple to mount. It is mostly the cable harness I might struggle with. Probably 6ish weeks before I start the job. 

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:10 PM, Paul2579 said:

I’m having trouble envisioning the silicone adds abs the duct tape ramp.  Any addition description would be appreciated.  Thanks!

20 hours ago, Unventor said:

As for you tip using tape to protect the motor and it cables. Do you have a picture of it just so I don't get it wrong. I have an idea what you are on about... But never the less.

I have a video that I have been trying to find time to finish that showed this on a 14S - slightly different, but the same concept.

I need to finish a tax return by tomorrow night :( , but should be able to pull together a few stills or a short clip after that...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I have a video that I have been trying to find time to finish that showed this on a 14S - slightly different, but the same concept.

I need to finish a tax return by tomorrow night :( , but should be able to pull together a few stills or a short clip after that...

That would be lovely, I just ordered the RTV silicon and waiting for that to come to a local car spare part dealer dealer so I don't have to play shipping as it is as much as the tube itself. 

Now I am waiting to get a quote for the lamp units and side middle part (like on the coin edge). Today I just got new tube and tyre and a set of "used" new white side and top cover set. 

I do like the disassembly and assembly videos of the KS16X that Kingsong did. I wish they did that for the KS18L/XL series too ( @US69, if you like to bring that feedback forward).

12 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Now I am waiting to get a quote for the lamp units and side middle part (like on the coin edge).

They aren't on our site yet, but we have a few of those (actually in stock)... PM me if you would like to discuss getting some to you...

13 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I do like the disassembly and assembly videos of the KS16X that Kingsong did. I wish they did that for the KS18L/XL series too

I need to tear one down to replace the (v1) inner shells... I'll video that for everyone if KS hasn't done it already.

OR... I could live stream it and you could play along at home!!!   :popcorn:  Hows that for an awesome idea?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

They aren't on our site yet, but we have a few of those (actually in stock)... PM me if you would like to discuss getting some to you...

I need to tear one down to replace the (v1) inner shells... I'll video that for everyone if KS hasn't done it already.

OR... I could live stream it and you could play along at home!!!   :popcorn:  Hows that for an awesome idea?

Could be fun but I am waiting for parts right now, eta 3-4 weeks. 

I ordered rtv silicon at our local Volvo service place, as it save me shipping costs. No eta on that but hopefully soon.

But I can act as the trainee 🙄asking questions to the Pro😁👍.

I did take pictures but for some reason they turned out useless. I use wrong lens so I had too much motion blur due to too long shutter time for hand held. Much simpler to do on a mobile to be honest. Preferably doing short video to show from different angels (just a few seconds) complimented by wide view photos for bigger picture overview. That would be my recommendation if someone needs to take part a wheel. 

I have holiday in week 37 so those days timezone is not an issue. Expect I plan to visit Stockholm with car and KS16X. A 500ish km drive of 5-6 hours (Thursday driving upp early morning and Friday driving home very late evening). 

Need to get home to feed my cats. They are fine for me being out for 1 overnight trip, but then I must be back. 

Edited by Unventor

@Paul2579 and @Unventor...

I just realised that the video explaining the duct tape thing is already online. Here it is, queued up and ready to go.

There is a slight difference as the cable on the 14S sits sidways in the wheel, but the principle is the same.

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I just realised that the video explaining the duct tape thing is already online. Here it is, queued up and ready to go.

There is a slight difference as the cable on the 14S sits sidways in the wheel, but the principle is the same.

I can't seem to embed it with the start time set, so you will have to click through - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD1D1U6hi4s&t=892

Sweet table to work with the EUC.. Hmm maybe I should get me something similar. 

7 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Sweet table to work with the EUC.. Hmm maybe I should get me something similar. 

It's great not having to worry about the motor wires being damaged while you're working.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:26 PM, Unventor said:

I do like the disassembly and assembly videos of the KS16X that Kingsong did. I wish they did that for the KS18L/XL series too ( @US69, if you like to bring that feedback forward).

I will do that, sure!!!

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 1:26 PM, Unventor said:

Is this what you mean?

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Is this what you mean?

Partly, they made this for KS16X.... 

The difference is you can see how they connect items. 

@The Fat Unicyclist I took your inspiration to heart and got myself this today from a local shop.

I stepped up a model due to being able to adjust work height and a more steady frame, and being able to tilt the table platform. 

Price about 100€ or 175nzd

RWB03RWB03--Hero_1_HiRes.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-RWB03-Adjustable-Metal-Folding/dp/B00DJ8SJOO

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 9:58 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

thats what ive done to two 16s'.. one of them when i first pulled it off it was so extremely tight that it sheared the cable shielding off.. ridiculous, so i added a piece of heat shrink around the wires where it tore, then wrapped it tight in electrical tape, then duct taped it down lol.. that hole needs to be elongated or just a slot that goes all the way to the bottom.. it always freaks me out when i have to take off the shell lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

@The Fat Unicyclist I took your inspiration to heart and got myself this today from a local shop.

I stepped up a model due to being able to adjust work height and a more steady frame, and being able to tilt the table platform. 

Price about 100€ or 175nzd

RWB03RWB03--Hero_1_HiRes.jpg

That looks awesome... As EUC have very few straight / square aspects to them, something like this will make it so much easier to put everything in a good place to make it easy to work on!

• Like 1