Starting to teach my 9 year-old how to ride, any tips.

Albatross

Hey riders,

From my very beginning with EUCs a few months ago, I knew that I want to teach my 9 year old son how to ride and make this “our” activity.  It feels that everything this kid has, always gets overrun, taken over and destroyed by his 5 year old brother. He seems very interested and super excited to learn and start riding and I look forward to exploring the many bike/nature trails in our area with him. 

I recently was lucky enough to acquire a v5f+ in excellent condition for him. The wife is not happy and is set dead against him riding. I’m working on her and sure that I will wear her down by the weekend, lol.  

The question that I have is for people that have taught their kids how to ride if you have any tips or suggestions on how better to teach a child how to ride an EUC. 

thank you in advance. 

Below pic of Dad’s and son’s wheels (although he hasn’t seen his yet)

F47C49A9-1589-43F7-90EE-629E802786B2.jpeg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, VikinG said:

She's very confident for her age

He is a boy.  He is 9. Thank you. I think he is going to be riding by the time of the weekend. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Albatross said:

He is a boy.  He is 9. Thank you. I think he is going to be riding by the time of the weekend. 

You could think about getting him a full face helmet (take a look at @buell47s videos!)

Forward falls on the face are unfortionately common with EUCs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chriull said:

You could think about getting him a full face helmet (take a look at @buell47s videos!)

Full face helmet has been ordered a few days ago. Should be here Monday or Tuesday.  Mine unfortunately has been ordered since May 22 and still on it’s way. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chriull said:

Absolutely, she already faceplanted 3 or 4 times while riding offroad. (big roots or sand traps)

2 times the helmet safed her face. 

Oh no, one time more last weekend on Asphalt @22 km/h, because she used her walky talky while riding and doesn't look where she was riding. Full faceplant, but only a smaller scratch on her belly. :efefc8626c:

Edited by buell47

5 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Absolutely, she already faceplanted 3 or 4 times while riding offroad. (big roots or sand traps)

2 times the helmet safed her face. 

What happened the other  1 or 2 times?

Bruce

Oh yeah. Definitely full face helmet. I will also get him some chest, shoulders and back armor once we start riding together. Which I hope is going to be next week. 

Another training session today and he made it 3-4 feet on his own and recovered nicely, when he was loosing control. 

• Like 2