16X Not Charging...What The Hell?

Tom D

Hey all, at wits end...16X will not charge.  I have plugged in all available chargers and tried every configuration e.g., both charging ports, dual chargers, different electrical socket, etc, etc.  The wheel does not go into charging mode e.g., charger(s) indicator light remains green and wheel does not go into its characteristic charging mode...just sits there.

Current battery level is 54%.  Firmware 1.07.  Second batch wheel with original board.  No crashes or wheel dumps.  Wheel still operates and runs great, just won't take a charge.  With 54% battery remaining, not really willing take the wheel out.

Scoured forums and saw some entires regarding 16S charging issues, but nothing on the 16X.  Anyone have any ideas or has anyone experienced a similar issue?  Wanted to post here before reaching out to Jason and eWheels.  Thanks all, appreciate any insight.

2 minutes ago, Tom D said:

Anyone have any ideas or has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Could be just a bad solder joint at the charge plug. Was often reported here.

Or a malfunction of the charger.

2 minutes ago, Tom D said:

Wanted to post here before reaching out to Jason and eWheels.

Depending on your skills reaching out to @Jason McNeil is perfect - he offers great service as reported here! You have good luck to have a reseller like him!

Thanks Chriull.  Will search the soldering issue...didn't see it during a previous search.  Have tried several chargers at both charging ports with same outcome...no charging.

10 hours ago, Tom D said:

Thanks Chriull.  Will search the soldering issue...didn't see it during a previous search.  Have tried several chargers at both charging ports with same outcome...no charging.

You should check then with a voltmeter the charging voltage arriving at motherboard and at the batteries.

Be carefull to not cause any accidential shorts to the battery!

9 hours ago, Chriull said:

You should check then with a voltmeter the charging voltage arriving at motherboard and at the batteries.

Be carefull to not cause any accidential shorts to the battery!

Have any instructions for that?  Have a nice Fluke meter, but not sure where I would be probing.  Jason has reached out...hoping this can be resolved.

1 minute ago, stephen said:

Is it worth upgrading firmware to 2.02 and see if motherboard resets anything

When did you notice this ? Has it always charged ok and now it's just stopped working? 

Stephen - Don't know if it's worth upgrading.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt.  I'm not a radical speed demon, so the slight changes/nuances in the different FWs really have not impacted me.  I'll see what Jason says before actually upgrading.

I noticed this past Friday.  I went to charge up (battery was (is) as 54%) and get ready for a weekend of riding, especially since the city council in Honolulu has opened up the main drag for bikes/scooters on Sunday's between 6:00AM-12:00PM.  I've been fortunate and have never had an issue, beyond multiple flats/punctures, with any of my KS wheels.

Seems like this is a rare anomaly since there are no threads on this particular issue.

Yup...Jason is the man!  I contacted him immediately and as always, eWheels (Jason) provides unrivaled customer service.  charging port panel has been FedEx'd out.

I posted issue here as well to see if any other 16X owners have experienced anything similar.  Will keep the community updated.  Thanks all.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2020 at 9:22 PM, Tom D said:

Yup...Jason is the man!  I contacted him immediately and as always, eWheels (Jason) provides unrivaled customer service.  charging port panel has been FedEx'd out.

I posted issue here as well to see if any other 16X owners have experienced anything similar.  Will keep the community updated.  Thanks all.

Die you resolve the problem?

My 16x won´t charge since my last ride. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...