Ninebot One: DO NOT UPDATE TO 1.2.9 FIRMWARE!

esaj

Looks like Ninebot has done it again: another firmware update that can potentially blow up your mainboard. Current advise is not to update!

At least a few cases so far where it looks like the mainboard got damaged right after the update. On the other hand, some people seem to have updated without problems.

Posted by @Cranium at one of the topics (looks like the "manual quote"-option is gone after the forum update):

What I've found elsewhere on the internet so far:

German shop is recommending  to not go to 1.2.9: http://scooterhelden.de/
HoodRiderz has tweeted to not update yet: https://twitter.com/HoodRiderzStore

Not much out there yet.

• esaj pinned this topic

We at FORWARD California understand how frustrating it has been for Ninebot One owners that have had damage caused by the v1.2.9. firmware. As the Northern California distributor for NINEBOT INC we would like to send out an apology. If there is anything we can do to help don't hesitate to contact us. We will do our best to get you back up and Rolling.

I placed an order for a Ninebit one E+ a few days ago and I asked my supplier about the 1.2.9 update and associated problems.

He advised me that the factory models now incorporate 1.3.0 version.

Anyone confirm this - FORWARD california?

4 minutes ago, Cranium said:

I think this topic would be safe to unpin now that it is no longer available and 1.3.0 has been released.

True, although there might be wheels in warehouses with 1.2.9 preinstalled, so maybe I'll still keep this around for a while, so people are aware and know to update to 1.3.0? 

Edit: on the other hand, 1.2.9 was out for a so little while, that maybe it wasn't preinstalled on any wheels...

I agree to leave it pinned for another week or two, I read that a newly delivered Ninebot P had the faulty 1.2.5 preinstalled, so there is still a possibility that someone runs into this problem even with a new Bot.

@AlanR when you get the Bot, download the "Ninebot" App from your favorite Appstore (as long as its apple or android) and there you got a settings menu to check for firmwareupgrades, there it tells you what you have and what's available.

22 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

I wonder why people still take the risk even though there's so many issues about this model. Buying it is like playing Russian Roulette. I also played it and lost.

Until I read about the 1.2.9 issues Ninebot One E+ was highly rated in this forum[?]

Why do you say "...take the risk even though there's so many issues about this model.." ???

Buying other Brands or "Brands" is even more Russian Roulette (but with 6 Bullets loaded instead of one)

There was another Mosfet-gate with 1.2.5 and before that another one I cant remember with what version. But it happened before and broke bones and burned Motherboards. Does not make it OK, dont get me wrong! But on the other hand, some Updates did good things, like 1.2.7 for N20 E+ Owners gave them more speed. So its more of a Risk vs. Reward..

At least Ninebot CAN upgrade the firmware without sending the device in for manual flashing... (still far from perfect though, downgrade-flash should be a option too)

17 minutes ago, AlanR said:

Until I read about the 1.2.9 issues Ninebot One E+ was highly rated in this forum[?]

Why do you say "...take the risk even though there's so many issues about this model.." ???

You haven't heard of issues that have risen from firmware versions 1.1.6 , 1.2.6. and 1.2.7. Every now and then, Ninebot releases firmwares which acts as bombs ready to be detonated and once you have activated it, you will be joining the group of people complaining and chasing for the replacement parts and will be crossing your fingers hoping to receive your replacements soon. Hoping you don't face such issues because it's very infuriating. I know how it feels.

Thanks SlowMo, perhaps the solution is don't instal upgrades until a few have commented on results !!

Jag-Rip thanks for the tip re App to find version installed.  [BTW, how do you reference using the blue box with @name?]

• 1 month later...

I managed to blow the control board on my E+ after three weeks. Running whatever the latest firmware is. 1.3.something. Come to find out, the problem seems to be with riding mode 0 and perhaps mode 1. These draw too much power in some situations (like curb jumping), and cause the thing to pop. Once this happens, disconnect your battery and contact your sales person for support. Ninebot requested a video of my dead bot (below) for proof, apparently. I was promised the new board is on its way via DHL now. My advice: stay away from mode 0 and 1, especially 0. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived