EUC noob needs halp!

mook

hi hi euc peeps -

to cut a long story short - i've inherited a ninebot one E from a neighbour that put it in his recycling bin - apart from needing a charger, valve extension and any understanding of electricity i would really appreciate some help in getting this thing back on the road. I have some internal combustion experience, but when it comes to wires once the blue smoke comes out i can't seem to get it back in - still working on an idea, if there are any VC doods out there, hit me up.

Previous owner has zero information - i think he got bored of it, flat tyre, couldn't be f'd pulling it apart etc, is moving back to the old country (we have a serious language barrier) so if anyone has any information re the following, it would be much appreciated:

- charger for ninebot one E?

- will i need firmware upgrades etc given vintage?

- am i wasting my time?

thanks,

mook

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mook said:

- am i wasting my time?

No, but you are on a slippery slope. Once you have the E in running condition and start to ride you will hopelessly addicted as I am. I started with an E+.

I would first find a charger and see if the batteries are good.  If the batteries seem okay, then on to fixing the tire, etc.  Maybe you'll luck out and find a kind soul in Australia who will loan you a charger.  

If the unit is fried it probably won't be worth your time and expense to rejuvenate.

Welcome,

Bruce `

• Like 1

Check the battery voltage first. It is easy. The battery is under one of the grey covers. Left side or right side, I forgot. Look for video in YouTube. If the battery voltage above 40 volts, it is worth to look for charger. Good luck

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

thanks Bruce and Ch.Eng.62 - i appreciate the responses. 

Battery voltage is 55v / 240Wh - I can't find a charger (OEM or aftermarket) for these specs - does anyone have any hints re charger parameters that may work?

#Aliexpress € 68,32 | original Ninebot One C C+ E E+ electric unicycle charger unicycle accessory 120W 61V charger international version
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWHeFRU

I use this seller and recommend him, but I don't know anything about delivery to Australia.

Edited by Ch.Eng.62

Consider this, I bought a used low mileage, highly scuffed but very usable Ninebot One E+ for $200 to learn on. It has hot glue, torn pads and I ended up super gluing the battery down because it fell out every time I bailed off while learning. It's rough, but it works fine. You got yours for free, the battery is good which is one the most expensive parts. So I think you're on the right track to fixing it up. But keep in mind that you're going to learn a little, realize you want a faster one, because these are low speed machines, and now you're going to drop a thousand on a used Z10 because that spill wasn't really that bad and your arms are healing nicely. But you want to go over 30 kph so you drop the cash....wait that was me. My arms feel fine now and my knee barely hurts at all anymore...Get pads, even cheap motocross ones on Amazon.

• Like 2

Dig around a bit for charger, it should be possible to find one for less than 70€ (I’m selling a whole NB A1 with charger for 100€)
I'm sure Ch.eng s seller is fine but it is a old wheel with a small battery, don’t throw too much money at it.

Edit: found a cheaper one on Ali, 45€ not that cheap, it's the downside of the slightly special connector and voltage. Maybe second hand somewhere? Or if you tinker you could find a corresponding voltage and a plug. Or you could change the socked on the wheel to something more standard like GX16

It's great fun riding, really the most pleasant tech discovery I've had since childhood perhaps.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 9:24 AM, mook said:

charger for ninebot one E?

As written you need a 

On 7/1/2020 at 4:21 PM, Ch.Eng.62 said:

Ninebot One C C+ E E+ electric unicycle charger

Or just any 15s LiIion charger - there are many (much cheaper) available. You'd  "just" need the right plug in the right way attached to it.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:52 AM, mook said:

Battery voltage is 55v

That is the nominal voltage (15*3.7V=55.5V). Maximum voltage for charger and battery is 15*4.2V=63V.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Chriull said:

As written you need a 

Or just any 15s LiIion charger - there are many (much cheaper) available. You'd  "just" need the right plug in the right way attached to it.

That is the nominal voltage (15*3.7V=55.5V). Maximum voltage for charger and battery is 15*4.2V=63V.

The original E+ battery is very robust: I have one that is over four years old with more than 5,000 miles on it, and I still get 10-12 miles per charge. I personally wouldn't buy a new charger, however. I agree with @Chriull - just charge the battery from another source that can supply 2-4 amps between 55-64v. There are two connectors on the battery: disconnect both and carefully plug a hacked connector into the small wires (black and yellow - self-explanatory). You can check out this post and video to have a closer look at the battery compartment.

To get to the battery you will need to partially disassemble the E+ on the side that has the battery (the other side cover protects the control board). It is likely to be the right side (straddling the unit with handle tip facing to the rear), but that's not guaranteed. My original E+ from 2015 has the battery on the other (left) side; my spare wheels' are on the right. Speedy Feet UK has two disassembly videos: the first shows how to remove the footplate, and the second shows how to remove the leg cover. You'll need a small hex bit (aka allen wrench) to remove the small inset screw under the foot plate hinge, and a phillips for the rest. He skips the step in-between which requires removal of the light ring and disconnecting its two wire connectors - just pop it off gradually by prying with your fingers incrementally around the outer edges, or use a plastic spudger being careful not to scratch or gouge the case or ring itself. In fact, you really don't need to remove the footplate to remove the light ring and leg cover.

You can also order a 110v or 220v charger from Speedyfeet as well. His prices are competitive and shipping is fast and reasonable. I have a spare 220v fast charger I purchased from him I would be willing to let go so PM me if interested.

The Ninebot E+ is still a great wheel for free (or low cost) and worth saving to learn on - you should be able to sell it for parts if you can't revive it.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 12:48 AM, PennBruce said:

No, but you are on a slippery slope. Once you have the E in running condition and start to ride you will hopelessly addicted as I am. I started with an E+.

I would first find a charger and see if the batteries are good.  If the batteries seem okay, then on to fixing the tire, etc.  Maybe you'll luck out and find a kind soul in Australia who will loan you a charger.  

If the unit is fried it probably won't be worth your time and expense to rejuvenate.

Welcome,

Bruce `

Thanks Bruce - I'm in the market for a new vice after giving up several others, so an EUC addiction would fit in nicely. Thanks for the response.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:03 AM, Ch.Eng.62 said:

Check the battery voltage first. It is easy. The battery is under one of the grey covers. Left side or right side, I forgot. Look for video in YouTube. If the battery voltage above 40 volts, it is worth to look for charger. Good luck

Thanks for the reply - The battery is in tip-top shape so tracking down a charger. Fingers crossed!

On 7/5/2020 at 5:27 AM, Chriull said:

As written you need a 

Thanks Chriull, good info.