KS16 vs KS16s

Hello community :)

So im strongly considering buying one of those, the only difference I see is the enginepower, so 800w vs 1200w. Both are available with a 828 Wh. battery.

So my question is, are these 400w strongly noticeable and are there any other differences i have missed?

I would mainly use the EUC in the city for quicker transportation without sweating, but there are a few hills i wana be able to get up without problems.

The thing is, these 400w extra cost 250€ so thats quite for only 400w power raise... is it worth getting the stronger one?

It would be my first EUC but i can ride non electrical Unis pretty well, so i think it wont be difficult to ride them, even when they are a bit stronger :)

Maybe someone have experience with both EUC, cause i sadly havnt found any post here in this forum and on youtube...

Greets,

Daniel

PS: I found this board through a youtube video from @Lukasz where he made a review on the ks16s :)

• Like 1

The KS16 is a bit old and has a weaker motor axis (hold the pedals and cantilevers your weight) (check KS16B if you want to look it up, most of that one)
Except if you are on a really tight budget or your body weight is low I would go for the 16S for durability.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, null said:

The KS16 is a bit old and has a weaker motor axis (hold the pedals and cantilevers your weight) (check KS16B if you want to look it up, most of that one)
Except if you are on a really tight budget or your body weight is low I would go for the 16S for durability.

thanks for your quick reply, i meant the 16B, my local shop just havnt had the B in the title :) I'll try to edit the title :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, exem said:

Hello community :)

Welcome!

So im strongly considering buying one of those, the only difference I see is the enginepower, so 800w vs 1200w.

And maximum settable tiltback speed  30 vs 35 km/h.

Also for the KS16B/C no firmware version 2.0.x is available, which removes the high pitched whine.

The KS16S V2 has a switch in the handle which prevents the wheel spin up while lifted. (but i don't know if there exist further differences between ks16s v1 and v2)

Both are available with a 828 Wh. battery.

So my question is, are these 400w strongly noticeable and are there any other differences i have missed?

I personally changed from the KS16B/C to the KS16S and the "stepup" in power is great! A big step, but still small in comparison to a "modern" wheel!

I would mainly use the EUC in the city for quicker transportation without sweating, but there are a few hills i wana be able to get up without problems.

The thing is, these 400w extra cost 250€ so thats quite for only 400w power raise... is it worth getting the stronger one?

That's on you to decide. Had never real problems getting up hills with the ks16b - but depend on the hill of course.

But the KS16B is an oldtimer by now...

Also the KS16S is already an a bit aged wheel - but i still like and enjoy it!

If your local shop is imoorting the KS wheels via 1radwerkstadt you couod ask if smartbms (single cell voltage monitoring via mobile phone) are available (and for how much). I just heard that they exist but unfortionately no reports afterwards. Would be a great and nice safety measure!

For more detailed differences you can find the max current (torque) over speed limits for both wheels in 

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply as well :)

Also for the KS16B/C no firmware version 2.0.x is available, which removes the high pitched whine.

Would you be able to explain that or say it in german? I dont know what that is :D

The KS16S V2 has a switch in the handle which prevents the wheel spin up while lifted. (but i don't know if there exist further differences between ks16s v1 and v2)

Thanks, thats good to know and a useful technology :)

If your local shop is imoorting the KS wheels via 1radwerkstadt you couod ask if smartbms (single cell voltage monitoring via mobile phone) are available (and for how much). I just heard that they exist but unfortionately no reports afterwards. Would be a great and nice safety measure!

Could you explain that as well please?

So i saw you are from vienna, I'm from Linz, but the funshop in vienna is as far as i know the only shop in Austria for EUC anyways and i already had a chat with a shopassistant resently to ask some things about the law situation :)

Just now, exem said:

Would you be able to explain that or say it in german? I dont know what that is :D

Ab der S Serie gibt es seit kurzem Firmware version 2.0.x - bis dahin hatten alle KS Räder ein hochfrequentes pfeifen. Das ist jetzt weg. Für den KS16B gibt es diese FW nicht (und wird es höchstwahrscheinlich auch nie geben)

Just now, exem said:

Could you explain that as well please?

Afaik 1radwerkstadt in germany is (was?) the main importer of KS wheels for the germany/austria. He offered (?still offers?) for some surplus this smart BMS - maybe, if you talk with your local shop this is an viable option for you.

A shortcoming of conventional BMS is that the LiIon cells can get misbalanced and degrade. Over time/by "wrong" charging/"bad luck" they can get (voltagewise) so imbalanced that they could get really dangerous. This can only be seen by monitoring the single cell voltages.

More details:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/18317-battery-faq/?do=findComment&comment=307636

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/12650-battery-degradation/?do=findComment&comment=214089

Just now, exem said:

So i saw you are from vienna, I'm from Linz, but the funshop in vienna is as far as i know the only shop in Austria for EUC anyways and i already had a chat with a shopassistant resently to ask some things about the law situation :)

Greets to Peter - did not see him for a long time, as i stayed with my KS16S ;)

Law situation is afaik still just ignored ("gedulded/ignoriert"). Just my brother happened to get a warning recently from a bicycle police man and he had to continue with max 6 km/h on the walkway... ;(

where in the hell did you find a KS16??? its ancient dont even look at it lol, even the 16S is long in the tooth now,, but its a fantastic wheel i love it and use it every day, still the most convenient all around wheel i believe because its so small and light but the range is fantastic, i only wish it had slightly more speed but for around the city its great...

dont look at just the on paper 400 W motor difference as the only thing.. the KS16 line has been around for what four years now, there have been tons of upgrades over time i would never for a second glance at anything but the KS16S V2 now

• Like 1