Advice for a fun and safe bigger wheel

Hey everyone, I've been learning to ride on an mten3 and so far it's been great. I'm really early on in the process, haven't ventured out far yet and only just got the hang of free mounting the wheel a few sessions ago. However I know I'm going to want a bigger wheel rather soon. I just can't really go around town too much on the mten3.

I'm looking to get a larger wheel and I've mainly been looking at 16" and 18" models. I am about 5'6" and 160 lbs. I'm not really planning to be a speed demon or anything like that, mainly for safety reasons. I am a surgeon and I don't want to risk a major injury. I am aware of @Rehab1's accident from perusing the forums and I am planning to gear up heavily. While there is some risk I am willing to take, I probably do not need the higher performance Gotway models like the MSX. Mainly looking for something that is comfortable, very safe and that handles well that I can have fun carving with. I'd primarily be on paved roads with occasional trails. This is strictly for fun and I won't be able to commute with it (unfortunately). So I don't need crazy range.

Sucks to wait but I am strongly considering holding out for the V11 or S18, probably the latter, as I admit being influenced by King Song's clever marketing vis a vis Kujirolls's videos. I also like their suspension from an engineering standpoint. I was seriously looking at the KS 16X though I am concerned with reports of pedal dips and cutouts and what not. Thought KS was the safety king, hopefully they aren't giving that up.

Any suggestions for a comfortable, safe, good handling wheel?

I'll probably get some negative reaction for this but I am also thinking about getting the ninebot Z10. I know its an older model now but so many people like @Hsiang really like it and I'm kind of worried about missing out on this wheel, since its getting harder to find and ninebot might not make more. Seems like some kind of rite of passage to ride this thing. I'm aware of the quality issues, newer batches though may be better. I could get a Z10, ride it for a while, and then sell it when something like an S18 comes out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shellac said:

Sucks to wait but I am strongly considering holding out for the V11 or S18, probably the latter

Sounds like a good plan if you're not in a hurry. Wait and see how the suspension wheels turn out, they will surely be more comfortable than suspensionless wheels.

We should have the first reviews on the V11 and S18 demo models as soon as in a few weeks. Now if ever seems like the time to wait for a slight bit.

The 18(X)L would perhaps be the main contender for every one of the requirements and wishes you mentioned. The Z10 is a bit of a specialized wheel in how it rides, and I could see it being tiresome in the long run, especially compared to the much more natural flow of the 18(X)L. Carving on the Z10 is different enough that I’m not sure if it’s even called carving anymore... ;) 

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat in terms of starting with an mten3, although I got it used shortly after I ordered an 18XL from China that I'm still waiting for (and the S18 was announced two days later... DOH!), so my decision for a higher end wheel was made without ever having ridden an EUC. I will say that I thoroughly enjoy riding my mten3, even for longer rides (my longest so far is 19.6 miles... I've got the 512Wh version, and I weigh almost 200 lbs with gear on, so that was really pushing it), but I've since had a chance to try out other wheels by attending group rides in my city, and I've ridden about 100 miles now on my new friend's 18XL (including a 46 mile ride this past weekend), and honestly have no regrets that I ordered the 18XL (and wish it would hurry up and arrive!). It's comfortable and super stable, and yet I can still do lots of tight carving on it. I agree with @mrelwood that the 18XL seems to check off all the boxes for what you're wanting in an EUC.

Rather than telling you which wheel might be best for you though (as you seem to have done your research like I did before buying, so you've probably already read through hundreds if not thousands of opinions on here about the virtues and shortcomings of every EUC manufactured in the last couple of years), my advice is to try and find a local group ride and try out some other wheels at the ride to see what works best for you. I know that may not be possible in every city, and I'm not sure what the scene is like in NOLA, but as you've noticed from these forums, EUC riders tend to be very friendly, outgoing people who are willing and eager to help other people enjoy this amazing hobby, and there are usually people active in their local EUC groups that have several wheels and probably wouldn't mind letting you ride one. Or you could just take your mten3 on the ride (which I did on my first two group rides and kept up just fine) and ask to try riding some of the other riders' wheels at the end of the ride (that's how I get my first opportunity to ride on an 18XL). The funnest times I've had so far on EUCs are on the group rides, and it's also where I've gained the most firsthand knowledge, and met some really awesome people at the same time. And if you can't find people to ride with in NOLA, you'll just have to find an excuse to get out here to Austin ASAP for one of our group rides!

As far as waiting for the S18 goes, didn't you say you're a surgeon 🤑?! Why not go ahead and order that 18XL now (and a Z10 while you're at it) and then snag the S18 later this year? Haven't you ever heard of @Marty Backe...? 😁

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, guess I’ll await the suspension wheel reviews, though either way seems KS18 series is the way to go for me. I’ll have to meditate some more on adding the Z10 also  

Group rides would be nice but I have yet to find any in NOLA.