Puncture and first fall - KS16s.

Gasmantle

Hi all,

The title says it all really, got a puncture after about 8 mths of riding and ended up with face meets tarmac interface. Luckily I realised something was wrong so I wasn't travelling fast but still ended up with an unpleasant cut to my nose and a few abrasions to my hands :(

Anyway,the main the main reason for posting was to ask what is involved in repairing my wheel?

I haven't yet taken it apart but is there an inner tube or do I need a new tyre? (I guess when I dismantle it then it makes sense to change the tyre anyway.) Is it much of a job to remove the wheel?

I can't say I'm looking forward to it :(

• Like 1

I’m sorry to hear that you got hurt in the process! Here’s what I suggest:

1) Inspect the tire closely to see if there is a nail, thumb tack, thorn, staple, or tracks of anything that could’ve caused the issue. Inspect the root of the valve stem as well.

2) If there is something that clearly caused a clean puncture, the easiest way is to remove the cause, install Goop, Tire Slime, Multi Seal or some other GOOD sealant, pump up and go. 5-10 min job.

3) If the tube is torn past what a sealant can handle, the wheel needs to be dismantled, and the tube repaired or replaced *). For a first timer this should be a 1.5-2h job. After which, install the sealant to prevent the same from happening again!

*) Do note that the valve stem has to be bent only 0-45 degrees to the side for the new tube to be suitable for the 16S. Many tubes with a bent valve have the valve pointing to 60-90 degrees to the side, which would not rotate freely inside the shell.

• Like 2

Glad your semi OK. Good thing you realized something was wrong and slowed down. Here’s an ‘easy on the eyes’ KS16S tire replacement video if you can get past the repetitive background music. 

• Like 1

Many thanks for the help guys, I've watched the video and it looks reasonably straight forward to replace the tube.

I guess a puncture repair compound would be easier but it's only a few quid more to replace the tube and that would seem a better solution - my local dealer doesn't appear to have spare tyres in stock but I'll give them a call next week and try to replace that as well if I can.

As for the fall I can I'd like to urge newbie riders that the minute your wheel seems to behave strangely stop riding and don't do any more until you get the wheel home to investigate the cause. In my case I had done a lot of riding that day and run my battery down far more than usual, the wheel was starting to become hard to control and pulling to one side, like an idiot I just assumed it had something to do with the battery getting low.

I only had 1/mile to get home so I pulled over took a minute rest then continued riding - needless to say 50yds further and I was lying in the road with a few scrapes and bumps but otherwise ok.

• Like 1

The Ks 16s/ battery will let u know by   throttling,"please decelerate"  then tiltback then"  "please charge battery".It rides the same but just gets progressively slower!.I,m with @Mrelwood,give Slime a go if u can.let us know how u get on. Stay safe and make sure u gear up next time.

The valve stem had managed to slide into the wheel rim making it impossible to get to without removing the wheel so I've now had to do that - it turned out to be a bit of a fiddly job prising the plastic covers apart but it went without problems.

I've ordered some of this slime :-

Tyre slime.

I'm assuming that's the kind of thing people are referring to, is it any good?

Since I now have the wheel removed it makes sense to change the tyre and inner tube (the tyre has some use left but it is significantly worn), I'll order them tomorrow.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 1:49 AM, Daley1 said:

that's the one!.Youll need a valve removal tool to pull the valve out of the valve stem.The bike shop should be able to sell u one.!

I've never used Slime so didn't realise I'd need to remove the valve, luckily I have a small lathe so if an extractor tool isn't supplied I ought to be able to make my own.

• Like 1

valve core removal tools are common as anything. Go to ANY auto parts store or walmart or similar and youll find them. A lot of times they are plastic and come with cap kits or the like. You can also go big pimpin and buy a metal with double ended(small on one end for that rare tiny style) and some spare cores. Just saying, it may not be worth the hassle of making them yourself, as theres many a sweat shop that has made them by the millions in the past. I'd be shocked if Slime brand (so expensive) doesnt include a $.0003 core tool with it as a cap. $5 should get you a tool, a coke and change to throw in a pond.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 1:49 AM, Daley1 said:

that's the one!.Youll need a valve removal tool to pull the valve out of the valve stem.The bike shop should be able to sell u one.!

There's an adequate valve remove tool built into the cap of that slime product, I did my tyre on my 16S about a month back. 

• Like 2

Many thanks to those who offered help :)

My Slime hasn't yet arrived but the inner tube has and I've now fitted it without too much problem.

I do like the KS16s as a kinda commuter wheel but having now repaired a puncture I must say I'm sure with a bit of thought Kingsong ought to be able to design something easier to dismantle. On this occasion everything went well but the side covers are flimsy plastic that clip into place and need to be prised apart, it looks to me as though it would be easy to damage them and it's not a job I'd want to do regularly.

Just a matter of interest how many miles do others get from a tyre before it needs replacing?

• Like 1

I usually replace a tire as soon as I start to think that another tire would fit my needs better. But if I find a suitable one, I’ll maybe replace it after 5000-10000km, depending on wear level.

• Like 2

With a bit of luck I'll get another few months out of the tyre I'm using then :)

I suspect that before I had the puncture the tyre was a little bit under inflated, I've now added slime and inflated to the recommended 35 - 40psi and can't believe how much better the wheel handles, I used to have to lean the wheel as far as scraping the pedals to do a tight 90o  turn  but now I can turn much tighter without the need to lean the wheel as far. It also seems to handle bumps and kerbs much better :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

inflated to the recommended 35 - 40psi

Good to hear that you’re getting the handling of the wheel back! Don’t look too closely at the numbers on the tire. Even 40 psi would be a bit low for my weight. The tire pressure should be chosen based on your weight and the tire size. Here’s a calculator for a decent starting point:

• Like 2

Is my tyre the only one in the world that deflates to about 30psi constantly? Before going for a long ride I put 45 psi in and sure enough 2 weeks later its back to 30 psi.Ive put 50 psi in but its to "squirrely"(is that a word) to enjoy the ride.It never deflates fully but seems it only wants 30psi!:confused1:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Is my tyre the only one in the world that deflates to about 30psi constantly? Before going for a long ride I put 45 psi in and sure enough 2 weeks later its back to 30 psi.Ive put 50 psi in but its to "squirrely"(is that a word) to enjoy the ride.It never deflates fully but seems it only wants 30psi!:confused1:

I suspect the inner tube before my puncture was the same.

I've had the KS16s about 9mths and had never reinflated or checked the pressure in all that time, it appeared to have sufficient air in it when I bought it so I just left it as it was but I think before the puncture it must have lost a lot of pressure as it now handles much better with the 40psi I'm now running at.

Whether it maintains that pressure remains to be seen but at least now I know to check it often :)