Where are people storing wheel collections when they live in colder climates?

Hi all. My partner is strongly considering my murder currently. Why you ask? I like im sure many others here have commandeered the hallway,cupboards, corner of the kitchen every nook and cranny of the house homing multiple euc's, onewheels, and whatever other rubbish (her words not mine 😂) i collect. The garage surely cant be an option for fear of wrecking my batteries or am i being overly cautious. Would love to hear what clever options people are using to not make their home look like a wheel showroom. 

• Like 1

@Glenn@mansfield - cold/cooler places are great for storing wheels(batteries)!

Just warm _and_ fully charged batteries should never be brought to cold places - that would have the same effect as overcharging. (What li.ion cells do not forgive at all!)

The cold/cooler places should be just safely above freezing. And before riding/charging the batteries have to be brought to about room temperature!

If all of this is regarded there is no prob, in contrary this should be absolutely great for the cells!

Storing them in hot places (barn or car in summertime sub) is a severe problem!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

@Glenn@mansfield - cold/cooler places are great for storing wheels(batteries)!

Just warm _and_ fully charged batteries should never be brought to cold places - that would have the same effect as overcharging. (What li.ion cells do not forgive at all!)

The cold/cooler places should be just safely above freezing. And before riding/charging the batteries have to be brought to about room temperature!

If all of this is regarded there is no prob, in contrary this should be absolutely great for the cells!

Storing them in hot places (barn or car in summertime sub) is a severe problem!

good info... maybe off topic, but i am fearing what it will do when I go for rides with 2 wheels and one has to stay in a hot summer car in the south. Taking 2 fully charged wheels but swapping, would mean a full wheel, sitting in temperatures that probably reach 130F. Uh oh..   I store my wheels at home, in the same climate I store the people.. 60f-95f , with the random leaving of the mten out all night in the rain.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

Oh right ok this is great news. I think that ousting a few wheels to the garage will go along way. I can only ride one at a time after all. My garage doesnt tend to get too cold anyway due to the boiler being in there. Will be fine at this time of year anyway but winters in the uk are fairly relentlessly grim. Not uper cold but plenty cold enough that it worried me. Thanks for the advice guys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

good info... maybe off topic, but i am fearing what it will do when I go for rides with 2 wheels and one has to stay in a hot summer car in the south. Taking 2 fully charged wheels but swapping, would mean a full wheel, sitting in temperatures that probably reach 130F. Uh oh..   I store my wheels at home, in the same climate I store the people.. 60f-95f , with the random leaving of the mten out all night in the rain.

#1 thing, keep them out of direct sunlight.  Like cell phone in a shoe box on the seat vs cell phone on the dash, it makes a massive difference.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Taking 2 fully charged wheels but swapping, would mean a full wheel, sitting in temperatures that probably reach 130F.

I would leave your car/truck running with the AC on. Idling your vehicle wouldn’t cost too much but would definitely diminish  the undesirable effects of toasting your battery packs.

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I would leave your car/truck running with the AC on. Idling your vehicle wouldn’t cost too much but would definitely diminish  the undesirable effects of toasting your battery packs.

Oh hell no I aint doing that. Allowing a vehicle to idle with a/c in the hot sunshine is wretched tough on the cooling system and builds up carbon. I've seen WAY too many cars overheat from doing this very thing. Not to mention, who in their right minds would leave a car unattended and running for hours+ in public areas? I'd much rather take my chances of leaving a wheel in the front floorboard, covered up. I'll have to look into what temps present a danger to the batteries, as I think the electronics can handle that easily. Of course, THEN theres the plastics, but luckily none of mine are coated.. Last but not least.. I rarely use a/c, Im a window down, arm out, no radio with cigarette dangling, kinda guy. Hell, half the time I wonder if my a/c even works. lol

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Oh hell no I aint doing that. Allowing a vehicle to idle with a/c in the hot sunshine is wretched tough on the cooling system and builds up carbon.

Ok...bad idea. How about taking both wheels on your ride;)

49872283571_87170d3268_z.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Oh hell no I aint doing that. Allowing a vehicle to idle with a/c in the hot sunshine is wretched tough on the cooling system and builds up carbon. I've seen WAY too many cars overheat from doing this very thing. Not to mention, who in their right minds would leave a car unattended and running for hours+ in public areas? I'd much rather take my chances of leaving a wheel in the front floorboard, covered up. I'll have to look into what temps present a danger to the batteries, as I think the electronics can handle that easily. Of course, THEN theres the plastics, but luckily none of mine are coated.. Last but not least.. I rarely use a/c, Im a window down, arm out, no radio with cigarette dangling, kinda guy. Hell, half the time I wonder if my a/c even works. lol

Buy a LARGE cooler or 12V fridge to store the one not being used in? :efef2e0fff:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Ok...bad idea. How about taking both wheels on your ride;)

49872283571_87170d3268_z.jpg

That is freaking great. But my old back cant hardly tote the mten. Maybe i should learn to just trolley one offroad while riding the other. Hell, I could show up wth one having half battery and recharge by pushing it on the trip during the first one... (j/k obviously). So cool someone found t good bag for it. I wonder what kind it was?

I think 140-150f is about as hot as a car gets in hot summer with windows up around here. I'd almost bet that the plastics are more at risk than the batteries. At least for the shorter term of 3-6 hrs as Im expecting. Good idea on the cooler, maybe toss in some dry ice, keep the beer cold too..

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I recently saw a guy selling a wheel that came with a hard shell peli case for the wheel. I wonder if you guys in hot climates could use this option when leaving in a car? They are kind of insulated when closed. Could maybe combine with a small cool pack beneath the wheel. Or just get a big cool bag...yeah probably easier. Condensation could be interesting..