What's the next step after MCM5?

I've been having an MCM4 and currently I have an MCM5 because I needed a longer distance wheel. I'm sooo satisfied with my MCM5 after 5000km of riding so I feel I don't really want a heavier or a faster wheel since I never go faster than 35kmh anyways. The range is very good (40-50km approx) and I don't actually need better range either, except when I go for long distance tours where I would like 80-100km, but I still want to have a small wheel since I very often end up in small forest trails where I have to carry the wheel etc.

I'm considering buying another MCM5 when I'm done with the one I have now, but it's not fun to buy the same wheel. I was looking at a Gotway Tesla 2 ~1050wh which may be my next step, but it's 16" and was a little bit heavier than mine.

Will there come more 14" awesome wheels soon? For example MCM6 or something, with just slightly better range or something? I understand that the batteries are heavy so the more power, the heavier.

Tesla has more ground clearance than MCM5, and imho more natural response.  The 16" tire is a nice bump over the 14".  The Tesla tire is thin so it steers easily still.  I too was lamenting the extra few pounds of the Tesla, but once I started using it, it's worth the extra weight increase.  There's some ~1400wh version of the Tesla on aliexpress.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xorbe said:

Tesla has more ground clearance than MCM5, and imho more natural response.  The 16" tire is a nice bump over the 14".  The Tesla tire is thin so it steers easily still.  I too was lamenting the extra few pounds of the Tesla, but once I started using it, it's worth the extra weight increase.  There's some ~1400wh version of the Tesla on aliexpress.

That's good information. Since you already seem to own an MCM5 then your input is valuable. So you would prefer your Tesla instead of your MCM5?

7 hours ago, Yffisch said:

That's good information. Since you already seem to own an MCM5 then your input is valuable. So you would prefer your Tesla instead of your MCM5?

I felt more planted without loss of steering on the 1020wh Tesla.  I don't ride super fast, but I felt more comfortable going faster on the Tesla.  I feel that the MCM5 is almost too light weight, and flip flops side to side a bit too easily.  The Tesla's additional heft slows that motion down with more inertia a bit higher, in a good way, imho.  For general usage I would recommend the Tesla.  The MCM5 is a blast but the plastic case and metal pedals ride slightly low.  Note that I'm a casual urban commuter, while you mentioned forest trails.  Remember the MCM5 is in a class of its own for accelerating up crazy steep slopes, which isn't matched by any other wheel including the Tesla (or MSP) it seems.

If you are going 100km though ... why aren't you on a Nikola, hah.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2020 at 6:27 PM, xorbe said:

I felt more planted without loss of steering on the 1020wh Tesla.  I don't ride super fast, but I felt more comfortable going faster on the Tesla.  I feel that the MCM5 is almost too light weight, and flip flops side to side a bit too easily.  The Tesla's additional heft slows that motion down with more inertia a bit higher, in a good way, imho.  For general usage I would recommend the Tesla.  The MCM5 is a blast but the plastic case and metal pedals ride slightly low.  Note that I'm a casual urban commuter, while you mentioned forest trails.  Remember the MCM5 is in a class of its own for accelerating up crazy steep slopes, which isn't matched by any other wheel including the Tesla (or MSP) it seems.

If you are going 100km though ... why aren't you on a Nikola, hah.

Sounds good! Well, I want everything. I want urban, I want forest trails, I want uphills and I want long distance. MCM5 is extremely suitable for all of them in my opinion, but I would love to be able to go 70-100km in one charge instead of 50-60km :P
Guess I need several wheels for different purposes, but I don't want to have two wheels at home since that doubles the "risk" of "burning up when you're not at home" accidents. I think it's an extremely small risk that it will just burn up without being charged or anything, but I kind of want to feel that I lower the risk as much as possible. Another wheel will double the risk!

6 minutes ago, Kryziss said:

According to my calculations, @Marty Backe has about 276 times more risks then.

Haha, I guess it's higher risk for your mobile phone to explode. But still, even if it's very very very small risk. I want to keep it like that. Knowing where my wheel is.

By the way, are there any "safe boxes" for wheels out there? That you basically can cover the wheels with when leaving them unused for months?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yffisch said:

Haha, I guess it's higher risk for your mobile phone to explode. But still, even if it's very very very small risk. I want to keep it like that. Knowing where my wheel is.

By the way, are there any "safe boxes" for wheels out there? That you basically can cover the wheels with when leaving them unused for months?

Not specifically for wheels, but some people (including @Kuji Rolls) store their wheels in a container. It's actually very easy (but not cheap) to buy fireproof storage cabinets that a wheel will fit in.

If I only had a couple of wheels I would own one of those cabinets. I keep mine in our detached garage.