EUC for a heavy rider? Spring 2020

My first wheel was my 18L and I got it off ebay. I got VERY lucky as I didnt know what to even ask about. It had 5miles and a scratch or two. I saved a LOT compared to new, but still wasnt cheap. Again, I got lucky the seller was upstanding. Now that you know the questions, I'd suggest ebay, craigslist and here. Of course, buyer beware and proceed with caution. To bother with used, it has to be a great deal, as you're on your own if it aint right. Good luck, but i do think that if you arent looking for the newest thing, patience will save you a mint with used. Again, used is rolling the dice, but it aint that bad of odds.

3 hours ago, HuskerDawg said:

Nice, that pretty much settles it for me and eliminates the MSX. I dont believe I could deal with peddles angled in towards the body of the wheel. ....

There is one big advantage to the angle even if you hate it and can never use it....

The advantage is, now you can pretty easily adjust the pedals to any lower angle you like. You can dial it in perfect for you, a custom fit. 

1 hour ago, null said:

By the way, while we're here, being too heavy for the tire isn't really an issue right?

No. Zero reported issues so far in any EUC with any tire and any rider weight. But be sure to check that the tire pressure is suitable for the rider weight. The tire should compress some when standing on the wheel, but even sharp curbs shouldn’t get close to the rim.

You can download my tire pressure calculator spreadsheet from the download section to get reasonable starting points for your pressure testing.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 3:07 PM, HuskerDawg said:

Nice, that pretty much settles it for me and eliminates the MSX. I dont believe I could deal with peddles angled in towards the body of the wheel. Now I have to find another prospect vs the Nicola. As well as to determine the differences in the versions of the Nicola. I'd still like to learn of options for purchase. So far Ewheels is one option but prices seem high to me. And my apologies for bumping the thread but I figured these kind knowledgable gentleman can multi task and chime in to multiple threads or off shoots of the same. Thanks

The angled pedals are actually a very good feature.  They keep your feet really well planted and keep your knees against the EUC so that you have tighter control and immediate feedback.  This is a big +.  I just got back from a 40 mile ride with trail and pavement and I never have any issues.  As a matter of fact when I upgrade in the future this feature is going to be a must have.  Also it provides more clearance when you have to avoid brush and junk when turning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazza-usa said:

The angled pedals are actually a very good feature.  They keep your feet really well planted and keep your knees against the EUC so that you have tighter control and immediate feedback.  This is a big +.  I just got back from a 40 mile ride with trail and pavement and I never have any issues.  As a matter of fact when I upgrade in the future this feature is going to be a must have.  Also it provides more clearance when you have to avoid brush and junk when turning.

I can agree with this somewhat. I guess its a matter of compromises. Do you want to be wedged into the wheel at angles, putting more pressure on your joints, or do you want to ride loosely and have less pressure on your joints and the wheel? I found that a flatter angle requires MORE effort to grab the wheel, as an angled pedal forces you to grab it at rest.  All of this is also subject to wheel width, rider inseam and pad layout. I prefer a flatter angle on street, but definitely see flatter being less a benefit on rough terrain or on a HUGE wheel.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

12 hours ago, null said:

By the way, while we're here, being too heavy for the tire isn't really an issue right?

"No. Zero reported issues so far in any EUC with any tire and any rider weight. But be sure to check that the tire pressure is suitable for the rider weight. The tire should compress some when standing on the wheel, but even sharp curbs shouldn’t get close to the rim.

You can download my tire pressure calculator spreadsheet from the download section to get reasonable starting points for your pressure testing."

Just wanted to add to what @mrelwood said: Don't believe the tire pressure limits that are printed on the side of the tire. The tire may say max pressure is 45psi, but people on the forum routinely pump up those same tires to 60psi with no issues.

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I can agree with this somewhat. I guess its a matter of compromises. Do you want to be wedged into the wheel at angles, putting more pressure on your joints, or do you want to ride loosely and have less pressure on your joints and the wheel? I found that a flatter angle requires MORE effort to grab the wheel, as an angled pedal forces you to grab it at rest.  All of this is also subject to wheel width, rider inseam and pad layout. I prefer a flatter angle on street, but definitely see flatter being less a benefit on rough terrain or on a HUGE wheel.

The pedal angle of the MSX is easy to change. You just file off a (tiny) amount of material where the pedal hits the bracket. There is lots of discussion about it elsewhere on the forum. If you order from eWheels, you can also just request Nikola pedals instead of the stock ones.  :)

The conclusion on my dads side was a Monster with 84v/2400Wh, a good comfort / price / range if you're not out for speed. (I suppose)
Hopefully the torque will be enough but it has the 2500W motor (of the MSP?) so it should be ok.

The amount of available torque will absolutely never be an issue in the slightest, but harnessing it, especially on inclines and declines might...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

The amount of available torque will absolutely never be an issue in the slightest, but harnessing it, especially on inclines and declines might...

Thanks! With his weight he should be able to push it, at worse we can make some power pads :)

Edited by null
  • Like 1