Riding getting worse :-(

Gasmantle

Hi all,

I just wondered if any other riders have had a bit of a dip in their riding skills?

I currently ride a KS16s, I've been riding about 1 year and have done about 2000 miles so I'm reasonably experienced but not an expert.

Just lately I've been finding it more difficult to do tight turns, there is nothing wrong with my wheel and I haven't suffered a fall but somehow my confidence seems to have lessened a little. I can still manage a 90o turn in a tight space but feel a little unsteady. My normal speed riding is fine.

I'm hoping it's just a temporary setback and an hour or 2 practising slow speed manouvering will bring it all back.

Anyone had similar?

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Tire pressure got too low?

I must admit I hadn't thought of that, I've just had a quick look and it seems fine but I'll check properly with a gauge tomorrow.

I kinda think I've developed a bad habit, even on normal cornering I tend to scrape the pedals a lot - maybe I need to get into the habit of turning at the knees or waist rather than leaning the wheel.

I think it's a matter of warm up and waking up the ole' nervous system, I was riding like a little ninny a few days ago til I had a step off at a stand still and almost fell, after that, I sort of "woke up" and rode better.  I also freaked out after getting my Mten3, I was scared to ride my 16x but I forced it, I did lose time/skill but have now gained it back and then some, but yeah, I think it's normal.  

Thanks @RetroThrusterabout 2 weeks ago I saw a youtube video discussing riding styles and tried experimenting with my style so that may have started a hint of nervousness.

I tend to ride in a straight up stance and can carve etc but after seeing the video a few riders seem to crouch with bent knees and one rider often lifted his heels off the pedal but had great control.

I really like the way Chooch Tech carves in his crouched position but it's not easy to change from my existing riding style.

• Like 2

Tire pressure affects the wheels turning ability a lot.

While standing on the wheel do some pogo stick movements to feel the bouncyness of the tire. Remember the feel. Increase or reduce the pressure to not have it too twitchy nor sluggish.

The preassure is different for every rider as it depends on their body weight. The tire should compress by a certain percentage when loaded with your body weight. In cycling they use the number 15%, with eucs I believe it's a bit higher but not much.

Most people ramp up wheel use in the beginning and then taper off after the trill is less. Some of your skill will Drop but it should not be hard to get back.
After the winter and riding less because of present circumstances, I actually stopped and lifted my wheel to get up an 8 inch curb. I just wasn’t ready at the time and too many people were watching. Last fall I would not have even hesitated. The next day I hopped several curbs in private just to make sure I could still do it. 
Riding these things takes a lot of mental feedback. Small body movements and timing control these wheels. I tend to carve, first calmly then more aggressively to get the feel of the wheel back. Accelerate and braking with the carve. A straight line in an open area is counter productive. You need to get that feedback. 

• Like 2

I'd wager its a combination of tire pressure and an "off day" (or week).  A lot of it is mental and its really easy to be in just a slightly distracted headspace and have things feel "different" and make somethings that are usually "automatic" slightly more "manual" and then you notice the little errors you make and get even more in your head.  Then you start really paying attention to what you're doing - in a way that you don't normally - and you make even more little changes as you're becoming hyper aware of things you normally aren't aware of.

• Like 2

Many thanks guys :)

I've had a look at tyre pressure and that seems fine, It seems that after experimenting with other riding styles I lost a bit of confidence but after a bit of low speed manouvering practice at home things have improved.

I guess sometimes when you think something is going to go wrong it's easy to get caught in a trap of over thinking it and not relaxing properly. Like all experienced riders I used to be able to turn without really thinking about it but went through a temporary phase of thinking about it too much in the way you do as a beginner. I'm gradually getting more relaxed.

• Like 3

You must have bent knees no matter what vehicle you are riding... Your knees response way faster then a stiff leg...having a stiff stance is going to make you feel way more off-balance... There are still some Goofy Segway mini users that ride around with a straight leg and they don't understand why when they hit a bump they fall down.... That wouldn't be the case if you have bent legs... Not always at least...

Edited by MetricUSA