Darknessbot vs EUC World battery status

It's what each app uses as their API's and procedures etc.

Maybe one app is better made, properly optimized and other is not?! Maybe one app uses more native elements and the other uses more webviews and/or media, maybe one app uses less bluetooth connection than the other!?

5 hours ago, shwinston said:

I took a screen shot of the battery percentage on both apps. EUC World showed 37% and Darknessbot showed 54%. That’s a big difference. Anyone know why this would be the case?

There is a battery percentage number reported from the wheel - that's a number linearly calculated from battery voltage.

EUC World has the option to show a different battery percent calculation which corresponds better to the real battery charge state as this simple calculation from the wheel.

I don't know darknessbot (i'm on android) - could be that this app also can switch between a better battery charge display and the normal wheel display?

Also KS18XL is one of the few wheels allowing to use the battery down to 3.0V (?3.15V with some firmware versions?) instead of 3.3V.

Maybe an app is not regarding this in the calculations?

What shows the KS App and how are the settings in EUC World and Darknessbot?

• Like 3

As @Chriull explained, it's just different algorithms for computing the battery percentage from the battery voltage.

Voltage is the measurable physical state of the battery, but you can interpret differently how much percent battery that is supposed to be. E.g. is 50% battery the middle voltage between full and empty, or is 50% battery when you have as much range left (in real life) as you have used? Or is it something else? Because these are not the same due to the nonlinear battery discharge behavior.

So app makers have some leeway interpreting the battery voltage into a percentage. EUC World even lets you choose different algorithms, not sure about DarknessBot. Some wheels also have nonstandard voltages which the app needs to interpret correctly.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

This is a relief because my new MSP is reporting

96/97% on full charge which is 99.90v  I therefore suspect some circuit charge max to perhaps preserve the batteries longer and consequently an under-reporting of battery %?  ( say this because Ive seen this behaviour now in two MSPs')

That said ive checked original Gotway apps, both of which report battery voltage as 100% so I put this down to the Darknessbot app. Furthermore, Ustride also noted in video an app underperforming of battery % reporting in E.World app.

Edited by RayBanMonster

1 hour ago, RayBanMonster said:

96/97% on full charge which is 99.90v

A full charge would be 100.8V

Your 99.9V reported are a deviation of -0.9%

That is a very normal deviation for the maximum charger voltage and the motherboards voltage measurement accuracy together.

Showing 96/97% for this voltage is a bit strange, but charge % are just a very rough approximation anyhow...

Edit: it's not, as accuracy is calculated over the whole range to zero, charge percent just show the range between 4.2V to 3.3V per cell...

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

A full charge would be 100.8V

Your 99.9V reported are a deviation of -0.9%

That is a very normal deviation for the maximum charger voltage and the motherboards voltage measurement accuracy together.

Showing 96/97% for this voltage is a bit strange, but charge % are just a very rough approximation anyhow...

Thank you for this information Chriull, that keeps me sane...  Ill keep an eye on it, after quick ride and second recharge top up we're now upto 100.2v at full charge. Im just recharging after a third short ride so hopefully we edge up there extrapolating the previous... 

1 hour ago, RayBanMonster said:

Thank you for this information Chriull, that keeps me sane...  Ill keep an eye on it, after quick ride and second recharge top up we're now upto 100.2v at full charge. Im just recharging after a third short ride so hopefully we edge up there extrapolating the previous... 

It can occasionally happen that a brand new wheel needs a few first charges where the battery voltage creeps up to its maximum, after two or three charges. Not sure why that is the case, but looks like that's what is happening for you. I'd say you'll be at 100.8V or close by after the next few charges:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It can occasionally happen that a brand new wheel needs a few first charges where the battery voltage creeps up to its maximum, after two or three charges. Not sure why that is the case, but looks like that's what is happening for you. I'd say you'll be at 100.8V or close by after the next few charges:)

Many thanks for your input Mr Mayer appreciated.. now im motivated to get to the wheel and test again.... :)

• Like 1