EUC Charging with a Smart Plug

I absolutely love this idea but the multiple(!) customer reviews including ominous pictures of charred plugs/outlets that burnt up (see https://amazon.com/dp/B0178IC5ZY/#CustomerImages) make this seem like just another failure point added--and a particularly dangerous one given our unique context. (Also considering since the majority of these are likely intended/probably mostly tested just for simple lamps and things that draw far less power and have much less extreme failure outcomes than EUCs with 1000+ Wh Li-ion batteries.)

I think I trust for example the ewheels smart charger that can automatically turn itself off (or at least mostly off) more than one of those cheap plugs, although I'm sure somebody could probably scare me about those too.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

I absolutely love this idea but the multiple(!) customer reviews including ominous pictures of charred plugs/outlets that burnt up (check it out: https://amazon.com/dp/B0178IC5ZY/#CustomerImages) make this seem like just another failure point added--and a particularly dangerous one given our unique context. (Also considering since the majority of these are likely intended/probably mostly tested just for simple lamps and things that draw far less power and have much less extreme failure outcomes than EUCs with 1000+ Wh Li-ion batteries.)

I think I trust for example the ewheels smart charger that can automatically turn itself off (or at least mostly off) more than one of those cheap plugs, although I'm sure somebody could probably scare me about those too.

My EWheels fast-charger went up in smoke :o

Every product has horror stories. Yet it has a 4-star rating out of a totality of over 800 reviews. Not too bad in my book.

The standard charger uses less power than a typical light bulb. And worse case, if mine "fried", it's many feet away from my wheel/charging brick.

It's just not something I'm going to worry about. But thanks for putting the thought in my head anyways ;)  I returned the favor with my EWheels story above :P

• Like 3

Fair enough. Although I still think an overheat/failure in the metal enclosure of a higher-end charger (with adequate clearance to things around it) seems better/safer than that little plastic thing melting right against a wall/outlet.

Wonder if anyone has taken one of those apart to see what it looks like inside? (Does it have obvious screws to do so or is it snapped/glued together?)

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Fair enough. Although I still think an overheat/failure in the metal enclosure of a higher-end charger (with adequate clearance to things around it) seems better/safer than that little plastic thing melting right against a wall/outlet.

Wonder if anyone has taken one of those apart to see what it looks like inside? (Does it have obvious screws to do so or is it snapped/glued together?)

Ignorance is bliss :D

• Like 1

I used to use the smart plug method, I had them named "gotway" "inmotion" and "segway" and even had them working with alexa. However, alexa could just turn them on and off, she was not able to set a shut off timer. I had to use the app just like your video. In the end, I decided it was too much work to pull out my phone and set a timer every time I wanted to charge. Now i keep a mental note of how many percent PER HOUR each charger/wheel gives me and use an old school mechanical timer to set the amount of time to get to my target percentage. All in the name of convenience and laziness. 

timer.jpg.f8cc644c195ac5c68b6ad6470085d026.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MVDTEXS

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I used to use the smart plug method, I had them named "gotway" "inmotion" and "segway" and even had them working with alexa. However, alexa could just turn them on and off, she was not able to set a shut off timer. I had to use the app just like your video. In the end, I decided it was too much work to pull out my phone and set a timer every time I wanted to charge. Now i keep a mental note of how many percent PER HOUR each charger/wheel gives me and use an old school mechanical timer to set the amount of time to get to my target percentage. All in the name of convenience and laziness. 

timer.jpg.f8cc644c195ac5c68b6ad6470085d026.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MVDTEXS

This from the guy who buys all the latest "toys". You're disappointing me Scot :P

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 4:02 PM, Lefteris said:

My next order, found it in Greece for 24€!

But it's brand is TP-Link the model is HS110 the latest version is "3" and the KASA it's the product line?!

Kasa is the name of TP-Link's home automation system (and mobile app), so everything is OK :) You've ordered the right plug :)

• Like 2