WTB First EUC (v8, ks16s) US

Ash_lee_g

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

18XL! Wow. Looks like you could upgrade your budget!

Thank you!!

I was originally supposed to sell the wheel for my friend in exchange for someone's v8 that I would buy, so they could upgrade, but after riding it a bit. It just felt magical! He's selling it to me for $1000, it has less than 50 miles on it and barely a scratch! 

I pretty much got the hang of it. I practiced for an hour or so around the block and practiced some figure 8s and tight turns. 

After that I rode all around the city, probably a total of 20 miles. It was incredible!!! I feel like I definitely got the hang of it and I'm so glad I made the choice to keep it! I'm already exceeding the limits of the v8 speed. 

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Enjoy your fantastic forever-wheel. And don't forget the appropriate protective gear (full face helmet, wrist guards, knee pads, etc.).

Not yet, I have wrist guards coming in and I currently have a skate helmet. I havent really been going faster than 20ish miles, but I do plan on getting more gear in the future, any suggestions would be super appreciated! 

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Did you also get a EUC bodyguard for the 18XLt? They are great value for protecting the wheel really well, during the learning phase and after that, too. I'd buy one for every wheel for which there is one, no questions asked.

Do you have a link for this? I didn't know there was one! 

11 minutes ago, Ash_lee_g said:

He's selling it to me for $1000, it has less than 50 miles on it and barely a scratch! 

18XL nearly brand new (actually better than new: tested and confirmed good) for $1000? Am I reading this right? Steal of the century. You basically robbed this guy!

Looking forward to hearing more of your experiences with the wheel.

11 minutes ago, Ash_lee_g said:

Do you have a link for this? I didn't know there was one!

Originally from https://www.roll.nz/int/27-store (New Zealand), shipping is said to be only a few days, courtesy of @The Fat Unicyclist. Can also be had on ewheels: https://www.ewheels.com/product/18l-xl-bodyguard-protective-neoprene-covers-roll-nz/

@Flyboy10's videos on Youtube (Flyboy EUC) show plenty of it, for example.

-

(Again, FF helmet + wrist guards + knee pads are the minimum for such a wheel. Learn from our mistakes, not your future mistakes. Sorry for the proselytizing but it's true:whistling:)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

18XL nearly brand new (actually better than new: tested and confirmed good) for $1000? Am I reading this right? Steal of the century. You basically robbed this guy!

Dude, I know. One of the nicest people I've ever met! He is a regular at my job and we started talking about wheels well, here I am

I am so excited! 

17 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

(Again, FF helmet + wrist guards + knee pads are the minimum for such a wheel. Learn from our mistakes, not your future mistakes. Sorry for the proselytizing but it's true:whistling:)

No worries, I appreciate the advice. Any suggestions for which to buy? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ash_lee_g said:

No worries, I appreciate the advice. Any suggestions for which to buy? 

As for a full face helmet, doesn't really matter, as long as you have one. Cheap, expensive, whatever. Choose what you deem best for you. Looks, good fit, right for the temperatures you ride in, ...

Wrist guards should have plastic slide plates for unimpeded sliding on the ground. E.g. the Demon Flexmeters. But again, even the cheap ones (like from a $20 rollerblading set) work if they have that.

Also I only believe in outer, hard plastic knee pads. This is best explained by the first 20 seconds of this video (I think those are "the usual" Triple 8 ones). For convenience, you will definitely want "butterfly" style knee pads that you don't have to slide onto your leg (having to take off your shoes and fighting with your pants), but which can close with velcro and a few straps directly around your knee.

About the rest, I have no experience there, but we have an own forum for this topic: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/58-riding-safety-and-protective-gear/

15 minutes ago, Ash_lee_g said:

I am so excited!

:D Enjoy!

• Like 2

@meepmeepmayer so I got knee and elbow pads, wrist guards and a full face helmet. Probably necessary bc I'm already hitting over 40 km/hr already. Its been amazing so far! I am in love and just never want to stop riding lol

One thing, do you have any suggestions for preventing calf bruising? I've got some pretty bad ones. Also, when riding for long periods of time, my feet start to Hurt and I'm wondering if this has something to do with my stance. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks a bunch! 

2 hours ago, Ash_lee_g said:

One thing, do you have any suggestions for preventing calf bruising?

Buy a yoga matt or an EVA foam excercise/work matt, and cut suitable pieces for extra padding. Attach with strong double sided tape/adhesive. It’s been a real life saver for me.

(Edit: Although, 18XL pads and their position is quite good already. Maybe first try to familiarize yourself with a wider stance, and don’t squeeze or even touch the wheel while riding.)

when riding for long periods of time, my feet start to Hurt and I'm wondering if this has something to do with my stance. 

Stance, lack of experience, unability to relax, and/or unsuitable shoes. You might want to try standing half an inch more forward or backwards to see if your foot position should be tweaked. Many beginners stand too far back. Matching the back of the shoes with the rear end of the pedals is a good starting point.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ash_lee_g said:

One thing, do you have any suggestions for preventing calf bruising? I've got some pretty bad ones. Also, when riding for long periods of time, my feet start to Hurt and I'm wondering if this has something to do with my stance.

All that goes away with more practice and when you get used to the wheel more. And you can always take a short step-off break if something starts getting uncomfortable.

The EUC bodyguard might also help with the calves, it's soft after all;)

• Like 1