Tesla v1 power reading - plausible?

alcatraz

Hey

Peaking 70A at times and I come from an 800w wheel, and I have tiltback set at 30km/h. I saw 3000+ watts in wheelog for several seconds and it worried me. 

I also never hear a single beep. In the gotway app only the first beep is disabled. The machine beeps loudly during power on/off, calibration and bluetooth connection.

How can I ensure my warning beeps are working? I know are 5 beeps 80%? What about 3 beeps then?

If 3200watts isn't at least 50% or even touching 80% then what is considered 80%?

I'm quite light at 65kg so these readings seem a bit high to me.

What do you think? 

Screenshot_20200124-125325.jpg

These numbers are not accurate. But they would be no problem if they were. Also, the rated motor power (800W vs. 1900W) doesn't really count, it's all about the battery.

On paper and very roughly, 4 * 10A * 84V = 3360W is what the Tesla battery can put out continuously (!) at full battery. Even twice that would be doable for a short spike, so something like 6720W. At 0% battery (66V) these numbers would be 2640W and double that. [Battery cells are rated very roughly ~10A continuous and ~20A for short spikes, and you have 4 parallel configurations of them in the Tesla battery, which is a 84V battery.]

But these readings are not accurate and too high (much higher than in reality). That's Gotway's specialty.

The Gotway "80% alarm" (5/continuous beeps) is strictly speed and battery-charge dependent (it is a speed alarm that reduces with falling battery charge, with 50kph at 100% going down to 39kph at 10% for the Tesla). So if you put even extreme stress on the wheel at lower speeds (lower than 39kph to be exact), this alarm will never sound. But at lower speeds, your motor torque reserves are also very high, so only the battery limits what the wheel can do. And the battery is strong. No problem there. It is quite hard (or rather near impossible) to overlean a strong wheel like the Tesla at lower speeds. So the fact that there is no alarm where you would expect one is quite fine, especially for your low weight.

There is also a low battery/low voltage alarm that would sound if the battery is near-empty (beginning at 15%). But there are no other alarms (besides the 30kph 2 beeps/35kph 3 beeps you can disable). And you don't really need any.

There are plenty of videos of Teslas (with heavier riders like Marty) doing strenuous mountain climbs without problem. They would surely show more than 3000W then (no matter what the real wattage is). So your 3000W reading for a few seconds is completely harmless:efee47c9c8: Don't ride like crazy and find out how even the Tesla can be overleaned at lower speeds (might be quite the challenge), but don't worry about those readings, too.

Going from the V8 to the Tesla, you easily doubled your max power (battery has double the parallel configurations, plus you have lower voltage drop with such a battery, plus the Inmotion additionally limits the power output, the Gotway does not). Just to give you an idea how much room you have - a lot:efefe00999: While 800W vs. 1900W is just the rated motor powers (which don't really mean anything), this also pretty much reflects the actual difference between their peak powers.

In short: a Tesla below 30kph with a 65kg rider... it just laughs at you if you worry about getting near its limits or about a short "3000W" spike:efeebb3acc:

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

Thank you very much. I really appreciate taking the time to write.

To anyone else reading, are there others with such odd elevated amperage readings?

I'm a bit afraid the tesla is malfunctioning. It'd be nice to know it's not uncommon.

After riding 100km the machine has been very smooth. I can read a near 0A power draw when it's parked. When I have one leg on the pedal at an incline (body weight not on the machine) I get a constant reading of 10A power draw.  That's ridiculous ain't it? 800w just for the machine itself to not roll down a hill.

I verified using the gotway app that the numbers there are the same.

7 hours ago, alcatraz said:

To anyone else reading, are there others with such odd elevated amperage readings?

I'm a bit afraid the tesla is malfunctioning. It'd be nice to know it's not uncommon.

After riding 100km the machine has been very smooth. I can read a near 0A power draw when it's parked. When I have one leg on the pedal at an incline (body weight not on the machine) I get a constant reading of 10A power draw.  That's ridiculous ain't it? 800w just for the machine itself to not roll down a hill.

I verified using the gotway app that the numbers there are the same.

GW wheeps report the motor current and the battery voltage. They are both not directly related - so multiplying this values and calling the result power is just nonsense.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:03 AM, alcatraz said:

Peaking 70A at times

Is very normal for GW wheels.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:12 AM, alcatraz said:

So what you're saying is that an Mten3 is actually two MsX put together? :D

Don’t know how this math of yours came about, but my 84V MSX commonly reports max power slighty past 10000W, and I can’t even get up a certain steep hill without amps peaking at around 180A. I also saw logs from a 100V 18xx Wh MSX that peaked above 18000W and 200A...

GWatts and GWamps are units of their own. Not comparable with actual watts and amperes that other wheels report.

17 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Don’t know how this math of yours came about, but my 84V MSX commonly reports max power slighty past 10000W, and I can’t even get up a certain steep hill without amps peaking at around 180A. I also saw logs from a 100V 18xx Wh MSX that peaked above 18000W and 200A...

GWatts and GWamps are units of their own. Not comparable with actual watts and amperes that other wheels report.

We should call them "gotway amps/watts" then.

The most powerful wheels today are 2000+W continuous and 4000+W peak. That's how I did the math, jokingly of course.

The numbers can't even be used in context with gotways own specified numbers then. That's confusing then. If they write 1900W continuous and then show me 5000W in the app, I get worried. I thought I had a guideline but now I don't know the limit at all. I wish I did.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

True that! I recorded 11814w on my last ride with the 84v. I do sympathise with the OP though, because if the Gotway app itself also reports these crazy figures it's going to cause concerns for riders if they don't know different and are simply looking for a reading of around 800w as that's whats all over the sales blurb. That's not even close to the watts the OP saw in the Gotway app. I guess GW just don't give a monkeys. At the very least they should just remove the ability to read current (obviously using that term loosely) from the app.

• Like 1