Gene Martin

100V vs 84V motor differences

Just curious about the physical differences between a 100V motor and an 84V motor. Winding wire size? Number of coils?

Could you use a 100V motor with an 84 volt control board? What about a 100V control with an 84V motor?

I am sure the control boards are voltage specific, but are the motors also?

Exact same motor. Just driven at different voltages.

For example, the 84V and 100V Monster, MSX, Nikola use exactly the same motor, the one motor Gotway uses for all their current 16 inch and bigger wheels (not sure if the Tesla motor is the same or an older revision of their "one" motor).

Older 84V EUCs had ebike motors that had 60V printed on them. So motors do not need to be voltage-specific. In the end, it's just a hunk of metal that gets connected to a power source. As long as nothing melts or fries, it works.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Sure:)

In addition, as the battery gets empty, the voltage it provides decreases from its maximum (e.g. 84V) to its minimum which is like 25% lower (e.g. 66V or 60V for a "84V" wheel). So a "fixed" voltage doesn't exist anyways.

Is it possible to convert my 84 v monster to 100?

23 minutes ago, Han Vo said:

Is it possible to convert my 84 v monster to 100?

Not worth it. You would need a new board and new batteries (buying batteries separately is almost as expensive as buying the entire wheel). Selling the 84V and buying a 100V makes much more sense because it saves you a lot of money and work.