100V vs 84V motor differences

Gene Martin

Just curious about the physical differences between a 100V motor and an 84V motor. Winding wire size? Number of coils?

Could you use a 100V motor with an 84 volt control board? What about a 100V control with an 84V motor?

I am sure the control boards are voltage specific, but are the motors also?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/14/2020 at 9:48 PM, Han Vo said:

Is it possible to convert my 84 v monster to 100?

As I understand it, it seems to be the same controller board. So yes, by changing out the
(3) 20S3P batteries with
(2) 24S3P batteries, you should be good.

Correction (see below): You'd also have to change out the mainboard. I should have looked into it even further, because it is indeed a different board as @Planemo and @meepmeepmayer state.

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
Incorrect translation leading to incorrect post.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2020 at 10:23 PM, Planemo said:

The boards are not the same at all.

Look closer at the listing in the link you posted.

I have converted my 84v msx to 100v.

Hello , i need to do the same , please can you telling me if something particular to do ? i received soon a 100V board and have already a 84 msx without board and batterie pack .

I would test this borad with my MSP pack .

Thank you for your help.

Not sure I understand. So you have a full 100v MSP battery setup to fit into what was an 84v msx?

If so the only other thing you need to do is fit a 5 pin charge port. Well, you dont need to, but its doing the job properly.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:47 PM, Planemo said:

Not sure I understand. So you have a full 100v MSP battery setup to fit into what was an 84v msx?

If so the only other thing you need to do is fit a 5 pin charge port. Well, you dont need to, but its doing the job properly.

Let me clarify and sorry for my English. 

A friend give me a msx84V without pedals and a dead mother board. 

I will convert this msx in 100v and use my msp battery to check if it works. 

Because I don't want buy pack for the msx it is to expansive and I don't  found a good value aftermarket battery pack. 

My question is on the cable routing regarding a 100v and a 84 v board. Is it the same connectors?  Do I need a specific things? 

People confirm 84v and 100v motors are the sales. 

This is my goal. Thank you for your quick reply I really appreciate. 

Have a good day

Depending on the manufacturing date of the board, some of the smaller plugs (led/front light/usb etc) moved positions on the board so you may need to extend one or two of them. I think I had to do one. Not a big deal.

Overall battery/charging/motor wiring layout is the same.

If you are using MSP battery packs (21700?) you would also need the wider MSP side panels no?

On 1/14/2020 at 3:42 PM, Gene Martin said:

Just curious about the physical differences between a 100V motor and an 84V motor. Winding wire size? Number of coils?

Could you use a 100V motor with an 84 volt control board? What about a 100V control with an 84V motor?

I am sure the control boards are voltage specific, but are the motors also?

physically there's no difference, but you need to be sure the winding support the voltage, this depends on wires ;)

as @meepmeepmayer said a lot of motors are 60v rated but could run 100v easy

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, Planemo said:

Depending on the manufacturing date of the board, some of the smaller plugs (led/front light/usb etc) moved positions on the board so you may need to extend one or two of them. I think I had to do one. Not a big deal.

Overall battery/charging/motor wiring layout is the same.

If you are using MSP battery packs (21700?) you would also need the wider MSP side panels no?

Yes i will try only one side pack to test if the wheel is operational 

Do you know where we can find a wiring layout ? regarding boards?

thank you 

22 hours ago, EMA said:

physically there's no difference, but you need to be sure the winding support the voltage, this depends on wires ;)

as @meepmeepmayer said a lot of motors are 60v rated but could run 100v easy

i have no references in winding , when you said winding you talk about AWG cables ? or winding from motors?

just to be clear thank you