Commuter wheel - which one and why?

Mookie

It gets complicated if weight/size matters.

Otherwise for any regular commute that is > 3km/2 miles, I'd get something with a nice big wide comfortable tire, for daily comfort and obstacle forgiveness. 18+ incher or wide tire "16" incher like the 16X/Nik/V10F I guess. Just glide to work in smooth relaxed cushiness while you slowly wake up. Why not?

The only other reason (non-weight/size) I can think of to buy a smaller wheel for a daily commute would be a very short commute or when you have a lot of starts and stops (city streets?) or acrobatic riding where maybe a lighter, smaller, better accelerating wheel is more enjoyable to use.

And you know what they say: "Stronger wheels are safer!" and "You bought another wheel, what can the wife really do?";) I am not responsible for any consequences of this recommendation.

TDLR: Go for a big, comfy tire as soon as it makes sense (= the riding matters more than the rest).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mookie said:

And you know what they say, "Happy wife, happy life".

Amen to that! A pity there's no equivalent phrase/sentiment for husbands...

I'm in a similar situation to you at the moment. We just closed out a big discussion on the commuting merits of the Kingsong 16x/18xl (at least I think it's closed, it kinda took on a life of its own)

I wasn't paying parking fees so the only saving I could claim was the fuel not being used and that is more difficult to calculate. In the end the option I had to go for to afford the expense was to downgrade my car.

Agree with the above posters. for door-to-door commuting; bigger, faster, longer better. The only reason to commute on a light weight sub 16" wheel is if you are jumping on and off trains or buses. You're in Seattle I see, so InMotion may well be the best brand choice as they seem to be the only ones at the moment taking weather proofing seriously. There is a new InMotion wheel rumored at the moment...

Good luck!

Edited by Mortal Coil
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mortal Coil said:

You're in Seattle I see, so InMotion may well be the best brand choice as they seem to be the only ones at the moment taking weather proofing seriously.

That was a factor for sure and the kingsong 14D is also waterproof.

My commute is 4 miles each way.  Takes me about 20 minutes.  2/3 of it is wide open bike paths.  1/3 is crowded downtown streets.  I have the wheel at factory tilt/nag warning settings.  Starts to tilt at like 12 mph and nags at about 14 mph.  When it feels like an extension of my body I will bump it up to the max which is roughly 5 mph faster.   Would knock 4 or 5 minutes off my commute.

But the limiting factor for model selection this time was cost - <--$1000.   My plan is to master this wheel, then get a bigger one and use this one as a "guest wheel" for my friends.

I did the exact same thing you did. I had a 3.5 mile commute with 1 mile on busy roads. I put 1300 miles on the 14d that I purchased used for $425. I then found a used 14s for $400 so I bought that one and sold my 14d locally. 3 months after that I got the 18XL. I'm glad that I had the 14d to learn on but you will outgrow it quickly. Used wheels are really cheap. I'd recommend a used 16s or used 14s or even a used ACM or MCM5. Charging the 14d twice a day got old very fast. You will start to here the beeps about 6 miles into any ride.

Update: browsing the used wheels section of forum, I found 3 ks16s models under $1000.

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

Update: browsing the used wheels section of forum, I found 3 ks16s models under $1000.

I considered a used wheel, but wanted a new one.  Might consider a used one down the road ... if it was cheap enough and a major upgrade.

4 hours ago, winterwheel said:

14D will do that just fine

Well, I like to venture around on my way home from work sometimes and take alternate routes.  Will do so even more when the weather starts to warm up in a few months.  I like to run around downtown on my lunch hour too.  Is nice to have a bit more range than I need.

The V8 cost $100 more than the 14D, well worth it for the extra range ... but was still a tough decision.  It maneuvers pretty well downtown.  When I come in at 5:45 am, the streets are largely empty so I ride mostly on the streets coming.  Going home, the streets are busy and it's rush hour so I stay on sidewalks and bike lanes.  And the side streets if there are no cars.  

Edited by Mookie