MSX Dual Sport Tire Upgrade

ZenRyder

So, I felt like the stock MSX tire is fine for the street, but pretty weak on any kind of trail. I wanted to try out a dual sport tire which could work on the trails and the road. I decided to try out the Shinko 244.

51QDQ6Uqp1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

There are other options out there that people have tried, but I really liked the look of this one. The problem is that tire lists the width at 2.75". Then the specs show that it is at 2.95" which is only about 1/8" wider than the stock tire. So, I thought, it should be fine. However, inflated the tire really measures about 3.25". Ouch, so what to do? I had to use a belt sander and sand that thing down on the sides to make it fit. I also had to take the entire wheel apart in order to sand the housing and give it a little more clearance. So, for the rated difficulty of installing this tire, I'm not sure I can recommend it. 

But I LOVE how it works when finally installed. Virgin tire - road only at this point.

20191122-073348.jpg

Time to get dirty...

20191122-072956.jpg

Morning ride after San Diego rain. It can get a little muddy out here on these hills.

20191122-072758.jpg

But the views are great.

20191122-073146.jpg

As you can see, I definitely need a mud flap now because the nice upgraded one from eWheels won't fit on this tire at all.

Loose soil, sand, bark, gravel, straight up mud are no match for this thing. Stable and solid like it's glued to the road from what I've tried so far.

I'll let you know how it's working once I've put a few more miles on it. 

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 8:20 AM, ZenRyder said:

So, I felt like the stock MSX tire is fine for the street, but pretty weak on any kind of trail. I wanted to try out a dual sport tire which could work on the trails and the road. I decided to try out the Shinko 244.

51QDQ6Uqp1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

There are other options out there that people have tried, but I really liked the look of this one. The problem is that tire lists the width at 2.75". Then the specs show that it is at 2.95" which is only about 1/8" wider than the stock tire. So, I thought, it should be fine. However, inflated the tire really measures about 3.25". Ouch, so what to do? I had to use a belt sander and sand that thing down on the sides to make it fit. I also had to take the entire wheel apart in order to sand the housing and give it a little more clearance. So, for the rated difficulty of installing this tire, I'm not sure I can recommend it. 

But I LOVE how it works when finally installed. Virgin tire - road only at this point.

20191122-073348.jpg

Time to get dirty...

20191122-072956.jpg

Morning ride after San Diego rain. It can get a little muddy out here on these hills.

20191122-072758.jpg

But the views are great.

20191122-073146.jpg

As you can see, I definitely need a mud flap now because the nice upgraded one from eWheels won't fit on this tire at all.

Loose soil, sand, bark, gravel, straight up mud are no match for this thing. Stable and solid like it's glued to the road from what I've tried so far.

I'll let you know how it's working once I've put a few more miles on it. 

Put that tire on one of my MSX's about a year ago and although it is a pain in the a$$ to fit,it makes the MSX the most awesome of off-road wheels!:cheers:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Put that tire on one of my MSX's about a year ago and although it is a pain in the a$$ to fit,it makes the MSX the most awesome of off-road wheels!:cheers:

So glad to hear that someone else has put on this tire!!! :roflmao:

I agree that it is a real pain to make fit, but it would have been easier if I knew the extent of what is required. I was worried that even the height was too big, but that is not the issue. It's just the sides that are extended on the edge. There is no problem with sanding those down, because your wheel is never going to be banking at a 50 degree angle. At least not with weight on it. If that part of the wheel is touching the ground, you've got bigger problems.

My question for @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" is what is your experience on pavement? I don't think the road noise is very significant and although it looks like a dedicated knobby tire, the design where it hits the ground is actually pretty smooth. I found it to be great for road and trail. Any feedback regarding the dual purpose of the tire? The saying "Jack of all trades, master of none." comes to mind. But to me, it seems like this is the best of both worlds.

Any thoughts?

Great photos! It warms my heart to see another off-road MSX being used in my natural habitat. :lol:

Yep, I had read that the SR244 requires trimming on the sides, which is why I went with the CST C-186. It would be so interesting to get to do a direct comparison between the tires! For some reason the photos make me think that the Shinko would actually carve more naturally on pavement than the CST, but that might be just wishful thinking. My guess is also that the Shinko rubber is not quite as soft as the trials-style CST, but then again not sure why I think that.

Man, those photos make me want to go riding right away!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZenRyder said:

So glad to hear that someone else has put on this tire!!! :roflmao:

I agree that it is a real pain to make fit, but it would have been easier if I knew the extent of what is required. I was worried that even the height was too big, but that is not the issue. It's just the sides that are extended on the edge. There is no problem with sanding those down, because your wheel is never going to be banking at a 50 degree angle. At least not with weight on it. If that part of the wheel is touching the ground, you've got bigger problems.

My question for @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" is what is your experience on pavement? I don't think the road noise is very significant and although it looks like a dedicated knobby tire, the design where it hits the ground is actually pretty smooth. I found it to be great for road and trail. Any feedback regarding the dual purpose of the tire? The saying "Jack of all trades, master of none." comes to mind. But to me, it seems like this is the best of both worlds.

Any thoughts?

I find that it rides on pavement essentially the same as the stock tire.I only limit the use on pavement because I have another MSX with the stock tire that I use more for hard surfaces thus preserving the life of the nobby tire.

• Like 3