New guy here

Fuerte

Hello all,

I didn't see a place to introduce so I figured I would do it here. I have put in a preorder for the Ninebot One P. I have never ridden an EU, but looks like fun for a mid-life crisis. :-) I am wondering if anyone would recommend that I buy a cheap-o to learn on and if so, which one and where? On Amazon, it looks like the cheapest are about 325 dollars. I live in Northern California, so I would appreciate any advice. I believe that there is someone from San Francisco on here, but I wasn't sure if he was a dealer or not. Thanks guys and gals!

There is no need to buy another unit. You can learn directly from your Ninebot One. Just cover it with the supplied foam padding. A faster way to learn is to have someone by your side to hold on to while you master your balance. Otherwise you can learn to ride alone if you have the persistence just like the gentleman in this video:

I wouldnt buy a cheap wheel just to learn pn it, unless you are planning to have a back up wheel in case your main wheel is not available. You can learn pretty fast on the good wheel, yes ypit may get some scratches and bruises but if you pad it well you should be ok. Any wheel will get some scratches eventually even if you ride well. 

Id rather buy a good wheel and then use your "cheap wheel money" towards another good one in the future, different wheel size pr different brand, or next model. Good luck

Hello all,

I didn't see a place to introduce so I figured I would do it here. I have put in a preorder for the Ninebot One P. I have never ridden an EU, but looks like fun for a mid-life crisis. :-) I am wondering if anyone would recommend that I buy a cheap-o to learn on and if so, which one and where? On Amazon, it looks like the cheapest are about 325 dollars. I live in Northern California, so I would appreciate any advice. I believe that there is someone from San Francisco on here, but I wasn't sure if he was a dealer or not. Thanks guys and gals!

You could buy a better wheel as a christmas gift, "test" it for a couple of months to make sure it's safe and wrap it up:)

I started riding on my Ninebot One E+ but covered with foam - which by the way was really tough to remove afterwards. It has fallen once during learning. After I felt confident and tried riding through obstacles it fell much more than during the learning process. Be honest sooner or later it will get scratches. For me it is better to learn on the good unit than buying some crap which may fail you. 

Do not worry in worst case you can buy new covers instead of this crappy unit you wanted to buy. Parts for ninebot one are accessible.

Have fun :)

I started riding on my Ninebot One E+ but covered with foam - which by the way was really tough to remove afterwards.

I put some adhesiv tape on mine and it took several hours for me to take it off:D I would do it without and in case I scratched it too bad i would just buy some new covers.

Thanks SlowMo for advice but for me it is too late - 2 hours wasted on cleaning up glue from ninebot with some solvent :)

Oooohhh nice tip.  I still have the 2 sided tape + foam on mine, so it's not too late for my case.  Thanks!

@Fuerte Welcome aboard.  It's going to be great, too bad you have to wait for pre-orders to come in.

Another MLC candidate - welcome :D

I didn't bother with the foam stuff on mine.  Early hours were spent on a carpeted floor in a deserted office - just until I could stay on my feet without wobbling too long.  Later on I spent some time on Grass but it was only a matter of time before the concrete / tarmac came calling and it soon got all scuffed up :(

The good side is, now it doesn't look new anymore I don't have to worry about spoiling it and can just ride and enjoy it.  I'm not too bothered about how bad it looks - it's less likely to get stolen - and due to the fact there aren't too many around, it is still new (and doesn't look bad unless you get too close to me!).

A 'cheap' learning wheel could end up putting you off, and even hurting you if it fails (yes I know even the Ninebot has failed some, but generally speaking the quality is better?) so I'd stick to the P and just 'get on' - see what I did there? - with it :)

I am new here as well and am from San Jose Ca, I bought a cheap unit to learn because I couldn't find a good one for sale anywhere. I don't regret it at all I got it Sunday and have been riding it everyday. It took about 10 minutes before I could ride away, biggest problem I had was I thought I needed the training wheels which I did not. I found it much easier to hold on to my car to start off, I still haven't master starting off with out holding on to something but getting better. I have no foam tape on mine at all but I got lucky and learned really fast not a scratch so for and I bet I have ridden it at least 50 miles.

This is so much fun can't wait to get a better faster one soon. I am still doing my research but think I will get a King Song 14" 800w 680wh unless someone can tell me why not. Oh yeah I am 52 so there is hope for a geezer in training like myself.

Blair

Where are you located Hank? Do you have an EU yet? If not, which one are you leaning towards?

In the US - currently NJ. 

I am looking at both the 9Bot or the King Song and I plan on learning on a carpeted floor, protective gear for me, and of course using foam padding for the EUC.  One trick I can think of is to first apply some blue painters tape directly onto the EUC and then apply the foam to the tape.  That way everything is easy to remove with zero residue on the unit.

This is a video I recommend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8UtHOPqPZ4

Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

New here too! For what it's worth, while learning, you can try to wear knee-high socks and then stuff some other socks on the inside of your lower legs. Wear long pants so you won't look like a dork! Just kidding, you can wear shorts. This way you don't need foam at all. I did whack the hell out of both my inner legs while learning. Also I was lucky enough to be able to practice in a warehouse with carpet tiles. This way I didn't get the unit scuffed up badly while learning. It was difficult for me to stop "clamping" the unit with me legs. Also my feet hurt like hell just from riding on it for a few minutes, but now it doesn't bother me at all. Stick with it while learning! Once you get it, it really is effortless and even natural. Just been a couple weeks for me and still figuring out the whole backwards things, but I feel like i'm controlling the wheel and not vice-versa.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

So I pulled the trigger on a 9b1 E+ early in january. I've also pre-ordered a Mini Pro for my wife as I thought an 9b1 would be to extreme for her. But I can always get P later if needed.

I did mostly read various resources 'bout ninebot but now it's the time to register an account.

I didn't ride my ninebot yet becasue of winterweather so pretty noob here. But I have done my homework and got some stuff like trolley handle, lezyne femto and some clear griptape for better grip on the pedals :) 

I didn't wrap my bot in rubber tape yet and not sure if I would do that - but we'll see. Wish me luck with that steep learning curve))

Archived