KS16S Range Issues

Scott

Scott,

using EUC World App (I decide not to use KS app, after talking to Seba), try to upgrade wheel firmware to 2.01. If you are at 1.08 like I was, update to 1.09 first - not a good firmware, my wheel still doing the carachteristic sound and another one when start moving (on the first beginning)... restart the wheel after 1.09 and do it again to 2.01 firmware. Super silent, powerfull, very locked feeling (in hard mode). Your issue can be lost doing a firmware upgrade. It feels like a new wheel... much better, great improvement! Nice work KS and Seba from EUC World.

I had a problem that... in stationary the capacity of the wheel drops very fast and come back to a normal level seconds after moving the handle bar to the sides... I think it was not the handlebar but the cap with the buttons and the cables inside that touch (probably) with the mainboard or each other - try to see if these 2 solutions fit to you...

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 4:49 PM, Chriull said:

Depends about your way of falling - but normally the knees are the first to touch the ground. Next are the hands (wrist guards).

And if an overlean catches one off guard its not a nice sliding experience at first but a hefty impact...

On 1/3/2020 at 8:15 PM, mrelwood said:

Sometimes I think to myself what would happen if I purposefully fell on my knees or dove/jumped off from the wheel at speed. Even at 25km/h.

That’s usually when I start going through my gear with a magnifying glass in case there are places worth improving.

Thanks for the thought.
I guess a good point to make is that I only ride on bike paths, at no point am I riding on a road or in a bike lane on a road (laws haven't caught up here yet and you can get in quite a bit of trouble for riding anything electric). I guess my point being that whilst I'm sure it will happen at some point, the enclosed bike paths have a relatively lower risk of accidents occurring.

I'm also only going as fast as a decent road bike rider and I don't see any of them wearing anything more then a helmet and far too much Lycra haha.
I do appreciate the advice though, I might pick up some cheap knee armor as my jeans have inserts inside I can utilise.

I've got in contact to start the warranty process a number of weeks ago but I don't like the chances of anything eventuating from it. I've had 2 emails so far, one asking for a serial number and the other asking me to check if the screws are loose. They haven't responded to anything else I've asked.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:03 AM, Pedro Capitão said:

Scott,

using EUC World App (I decide not to use KS app, after talking to Seba), try to upgrade wheel firmware to 2.01. If you are at 1.08 like I was, update to 1.09 first - not a good firmware, my wheel still doing the carachteristic sound and another one when start moving (on the first beginning)... restart the wheel after 1.09 and do it again to 2.01 firmware. Super silent, powerfull, very locked feeling (in hard mode). Your issue can be lost doing a firmware upgrade. It feels like a new wheel... much better, great improvement! Nice work KS and Seba from EUC World.

I had a problem that... in stationary the capacity of the wheel drops very fast and come back to a normal level seconds after moving the handle bar to the sides... I think it was not the handlebar but the cap with the buttons and the cables inside that touch (probably) with the mainboard or each other - try to see if these 2 solutions fit to you...

Thanks for your suggestion.
I've downloaded the EUC World App and tried to update the firmware but it just says that I'm on firmware 1.09. This is what I've been on since it came out. Not sure how to get the 2.01, seems that they've recalled it (maybe EUC World have recalled it now as well?).

On a side note I uninstalled the standard Kingsong app whilst using EUC World and when I went to look for it again later I couldn't find it in the store anymore, seems that they've removed it for now?

42 minutes ago, Daley1 said:

Yep @Seba ,says KS have pulled it for the time being.

2.01 is now again available for EUC World users:

• Like 1

I've installed the latest 2.01 firmware now. It's definitely more silent, I'm not sure I'm a fan of how the wheel behaves though, it's only minor but it seems to behave differently at top speed now. Though it's only early days, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

This hasn't fixed my range issue though.

I've had more contact in regards to warranty now, it's a slow process but it looks like it's going ahead. I just hope that they're not stalling as my 6 month battery warranty is only valid for another week or so. We'll see what happens.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 8:22 PM, Daley1 said:

If u have identified the issue in the warranty period it doesn't matter how long it takes to get fixed . Did u buy online or from an Australian seller?

I bought it from an Australian seller.

I understand your point but they are only just getting to the point of describing how the warranty process works, they haven't had me do anything yet. 
I've still got my wheel and nothing has been organised despite my request to do so.

My thought is that if the pickup isn't organised or something isn't processed before the warranty period ends then it will be that date which is on all of the records.

You can see the amps being used in the EUC World app. What does it show when the wheel is stationary? does it change when you move the handlebar? What range do you get after a full charge? What range did you get? How heavy are you? Have you tried the middle setting for riding mode and does that still use as much power when stationary?

What does it show when the wheel is stationary?
It currently shows 0.0 Amps when stationary.

does it change when you move the handlebar?
There is no change when you move the handlebar.

What range do you get after a full charge?
I get around ~14km when I hit 30% and then a further ~4km at reduced speed.

What range did you get?
I used to ride ~36km to work and didn't get to 30%, I've never tried to go any further then this.

How heavy are you?
I'm ~82kg.

Have you tried the middle setting for riding mode and does that still use as much power when stationary?
I've tried all riding modes and this doesn't effect the amperage when stationary, it stays at 0.0.

I,m 110kgs and get about 45k,s on mine if ive fully charged it and dont thrash it .Never tried to do a range test though.Tilt back set at 30kmh for a safety margin as i,m bigger.I,ll have to do a range test but it means crap slow riding when the throttling kicks in!:yawn:

I have a KS16S running firmware 2.01 and I weigh 96Kg and I haven't noticed any change in range but I'll admit I'm guessing because I haven't been on any long rides since upgrading. It seems like you're getting just under half your normal range. I believe the batteries in the KS16S are 2 parrallel banks of batteries so I'm wondering if one bank has died or become disconnected? If the wheel is relatively new and you bought it from a local supplier then I'd see if they can provide help, otherwise try Kingsong to see if they can offer advice on how to test your battery.  There was a good thread by @Chriullcovering batteries on this wheel:

• Like 1

Well ,i bit the bullet and upgraded to 2.01 thru the KS app.Strangely it said upgrade 1.08 to 1.09.It did nothing so i closed the app.Restarted and now showed firmware at v1.0.It just said upgrade and it did.The firmware upgraded to V2.01.Did a calibration and took it for a short ride.Couldnt notice any sound difference but the brakes seemed stiffer.I,ll give it a better test tomorrow.

ps my lift sensor is still screwed,do u have to calibrate this or just turn it on?Its turned on and does nothing!

4 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Well ,i bit the bullet and upgraded to 2.01 thru the KS app.Strangely it said upgrade 1.08 to 1.09.It did nothing so i closed the app.Restarted and now showed firmware at v1.0.It just said upgrade and it did.The firmware upgraded to V2.01.Did a calibration and took it for a short ride.Couldnt notice any sound difference but the brakes seemed stiffer.I,ll give it a better test tomorrow.

ps my lift sensor is still screwed,do u have to calibrate this or just turn it on?Its turned on and does nothing!

In the gyro calibration you need to be very careful about the left & right as well as the forward & back position. The annoying whine that the wheel used to make is gone and it should accelerate and brake better. There is an option in the Kingsong app to calibrate the lift sensor but I don't have the app anymore so I can't test. I seem to remember it showed readings from the sensor as well so you can check the sensor is working (I might be imagining that part though).

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Hey @Scott did u get fixed up?R u riding next week?

Hey @Daley1,

No unfortunately, it took them over a month to organise pick up for the wheel.
Requested the wheel to go back for warranty on the 9th of Jan and the wheel was only picked up last week on the 18th of Feb.
Despite my constant contact with them, they did not seem very organised. (To be fair, the last week of delay was mostly due to the shipping company).

They informed me a few days ago that my wheel is next in the queue to get looked at. Haven't heard anything back from them yet...
I'm not terribly hopeful of a good solution at this stage. The whole process has really put me off.

I'll post an update if anything happens.

• 2 months later...