Can I legally commute to work on public roads in San Diego?

DaffyDuck

I live in San Diego area where most major streets within the city have 40-55 mph limits but they also almost always have bike lanes. Can I ride a unicycle on such roads (staying in bicycle lanes if needed)? I am seeing different opinions stating that it is either not legal, legal but only if your motor is under X kW, legal but only if speed limit is under X mph, etc. Can someone please give a clear answer - am I allowed to ride on a road with 40+ mph limit and a bike lane? If not, what sort of public roads are legal to ride on, if any? I want to be sure I would be able to commute to work before pulling the trigger.

Thank you.

• Like 1

To give you a correct answer I think you need to seek the answer from "professional" Law advice people. That mean either those making sure people uphold the law or those how assist you when going to court. The big issue here is that most places EUC is still under the radar of Lawmakers and the technology is so niche still that most don't know. 

I recall someone got in trouble recently in San Diego, but if that was in a park area or in general area I do not recall. 

We have a legislation here in Sweden but is so may questions marks in it that you might be able to argue different things should it go to court. But if you ride reasonably and with respect of others, we don't tend to get into trouble with police. they have more important things to spend their time one. But the problems of rental e-scooters can very easy become our biggest concern soon as they are making it more regulated, but indicators to this seems to put at rental firms need to take a bigger responsibility instead of leaving it to their customers. This is discussed about parking zones, and geo speed limiters on the hardware...

Sorry this is not the yes/no answer you were looking for. 

I've ridden on the street and bike lanes in my area and 5-0 has passed a number of times and not raised an eyebrow so at least for me here in Virginia I'm guessing it's ok.  I'm not going to bother looking it up anywhere and will wait for the local 5-0 to stop me if it's illegal.

Ride On

• Like 1