New wheel inbound, question about hills

Mitch

6 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Would you go down a gradient that steep if it was tarmac? Out of curiosity 

i would.. much easier coming down than going up lol

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

I’m getting the impression it’s harder...

there's a few mountains here that I like to go up and down a few times to test new wheels.. in my experience down is always easier.. could be just me who knows I don't know how it could be possible for doing down a hill to be difficult though.. going up you have to push hard and maintain momentum on bigger wheels.. going down you don't do anything lol

perhaps it's because I'm a featherweight and going up hills I have to push down hard and lean way into it whereas down I can easily go as slow or quick as I want and come to a complete stop, get off, then get back on and carry on.. going up the mountain I have to keep up my speed on 18" wheels, if I slow down or come to a stop it's very hard to get going again lol.. perhaps it's not the case on all wheels but there has never been a scenario on any euc that I've owned where I've ever come close to feeling sketchy on any decline. i have never tried an MSX though so perhaps its braking sucks?? ive seen tests compared to the 18XL and it exceeded the 18XL in acceleration and braking though so im not sure why it would be much different from the slew of wheels ive owned, but i can only speak for the 13 EUCs i have/do own which the MSX is not one of xD

Edited by Rywokast

6 hours ago, Mitch said:

Would you go down a gradient that steep if it was tarmac? Out of curiosity 

I hesitatingly would. Believe it or not, smooth pavement can feel more dangerous because of the possible consequences of falling off. On dirt trails the fall is less painful and wheel will have a tendency to stop quicker. A steep paved road offers ample opportunity for the wheel to roll and bounce forever.

10-to-1, I prefer going up steep hills verses down. Maybe it's just me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I hesitatingly would. Believe it or not, smooth pavement can feel more dangerous because of the possible consequences of falling off. On dirt trails the fall is less painful and wheel will have a tendency to stop quicker. A steep paved road offers ample opportunity for the wheel to roll and bounce forever.

10-to-1, I prefer going up steep hills verses down. Maybe it's just me.

a wheel bouncing down the street and killing someone or smashing in a car window would definitely not be ideal.. almost as bad as bouncing off the side of the mountain trail and you having to find it.. that's a good point I never thought about the consequences of if you fell off,, maybe it would be better if someone learning had some sort of leash, attached to their belt or something?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rywokast said:

there's a few mountains here that I like to go up and down a few times to test new wheels.. in my experience down is always easier.. could be just me who knows I don't know how it could be possible for doing down a hill to be difficult though.. going up you have to push hard and maintain momentum on bigger wheels.. going down you don't do anything lol

Not sure how fast you're going at, but if if it's relatively slowly (<20km/h) then there's no problem with anything...

But try going down a road that's pitted and bumpy over 30km/h... any bump you hit launches you up way more than on flat ground (relatively, because the road drops away so now you have all that extra distance to drop).  Going up is the reverse, any bump you hit, the vertical is reduced since the ground in front of you is closer.  

Not to mention how crappy braking is on the MSX in a normal stance, making it even harder going downhill if you didn't switch your stance up.  The thing practically pushes me forward on steep downhills and I have to push back extra extra and even when I do the braking is still worse than on flats because of the extra 50lbs of weight.

All of this to say, if you go downhill fast on crap pavement, you're gonna have a bad time.  The cure like everything else, is just slowing down.

12 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Not sure how fast you're going at, but if if it's relatively slowly (<20km/h) then there's no problem with anything...

But try going down a road that's pitted and bumpy over 30km/h... any bump you hit launches you up way more than on flat ground (relatively, because the road drops away so now you have all that extra distance to drop).  Going up is the reverse, any bump you hit, the vertical is reduced since the ground in front of you is closer.  

Not to mention how crappy braking is on the MSX in a normal stance, making it even harder going downhill if you didn't switch your stance up.  The thing practically pushes me forward on steep downhills and I have to push back extra extra and even when I do the braking is still worse than on flats because of the extra 50lbs of weight.

All of this to say, if you go downhill fast on crap pavement, you're gonna have a bad time.  The cure like everything else, is just slowing down.

definitely not under 20.. probably 25-35 but i do avoid bumps as a general rule.. i wonder if the MSX specifically is just especially hard because of the tire? because everything ive tried was a total cake walk, except for the nikola.. it was noticeably more difficult than any other wheel ive done it on.. not sketchy just much harder than im used to which is casual play on your phone easy.. on the nikola i definitely had to concentrate,, i wonder if it was the 3" tire combined with the weight? because thats the only 3" tire ive ever ridden and its not like i havent ridden 50+ lbs unicycles before 18XL almost every day but the nikola won the award for heaviest seeing as its the 2100 wh version so that combined with its wide stance and 3" tire made it not so easy haha, however going UP the hill on the nikola was just as easy as any 16" because of its ridiculous torque so that was interesting.. probably the MSX and Z10 would be much harder than the average 16" or 18" wheel

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

a wheel bouncing down the street and killing someone or smashing in a car window would definitely not be ideal.. almost as bad as bouncing off the side of the mountain trail and you having to find it.. that's a good point I never thought about the consequences of if you fell off,, maybe it would be better if someone learning had some sort of leash, attached to their belt or something?

On trails, most of the time when a wheel is dropped it doesn't go very far, but every once in awhile you have something like this (I have it queued at the "tumble time"

And here's a downhill fall where it didn't go far

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

On trails, most of the time when a wheel is dropped it doesn't go very far, but every once in awhile you have something like this (I have it queued at the "tumble time"

i remember seeing that video lmao,, just seeing the bushes move around way in the back and your expression is priceless

• Like 1