Headlight for GotWay Msuper (cheap, but effective)

Tilmann

For the impatient: headlight effectiveness is visible from about 5:00

As days become shorter, I needed a brighter replacement for my just-enough-to-be-seen flimsy headlight to continue commuting with my Msuper. I'll probably bore you to death with my lengthy daylight introduction to my favorite stretch on the commute, which leads through a forestry park (recognise anything, @ScooterB ? :)). It's perfectly smooth, interrupted by 20m of the nastiest cobblestone ever and there's always a chance of that tree branch lying where you don't want it. And after sunset, most of it is pitch black.

After some searching, I found this 3 LED light http://www.ebay.de/itm/391104476033 for some 15 Euro. I'm sure, you can find similar on ebay.com or ali.

While most LED headlights are made for bicycles and only mount to a handlebar, this one comes with a strap to tie it to your forehead. After removing the straps, the base plate can be easily attached to the Msuper with a couple of cable ties. The light itself is held to the base by a rubber string - firm enough to stay in place at bumpy rides, but I sure hope it comes off in case of a fall and does not act as a lever to break the wheel's shell.

On illuminated streets I use the lowest setting to avoid blinding. On the dark stretch, I pushed it to max. power (it offers 3 levels, plus a sickening strobe). Batteries are in a separate pack with 4 x 18650's which I attach to my belt for the time being.

Have mercy with my choice of music - I picked more or less the first soundtrack Youtube offered :(. I also used Youtube's anti-shake stabilizer. The effect on the victory column is quite spectacular :D.  

Great video, good lighting solution! And yes, I recognise every single corner. For instance at 01:20: that's the exact spot where police stopped me and said that it is forbidden (verboten) to drive in the park. Your video inspires me to do it again :rolleyes: can't help it. 

@Tilmann , Great video of a great commute! I've used a similar mount to put the Blaze 2 W bike light on the handle of my EU. I will add I find it hugely useful to also have a headlamp on my helmet. The light on the EU is for the next 20 feet of terrain, the headlamp is to look forward to intersections, cars, dogs, cyclists, etc.

Archived