IPS "New Firmware Found"

Sweet M

Just this morning, after my long ride to/from work, I connected via XIMA to my IPS T350+.  Noticed along the bottom of the APP "New Firmware Found".  Due to some recent experiences read from our wonderful EU network on this forum, I'm a little reluctant to update the firmware before learning what this new updated version fortunately (or unfortunately) has to offer.  As I've mentioned before on other posts, my IPS has been very reliable and safe!  Simply DO NOT wanna update firmware risking a Ninebot 1.2.6 related catastrophe! 

Anybody aware of what this newer version offers or have any experiences with it?  Suggestion(s) re: how to find out that info?

I've emailed IPSUNICYCLE and their response so far is "What is firmware?".  Would never have expected that response!  Anyway, I, too, am perfectly happy with my wheel at version 4.31, as I've stated, very dependable thus far!  Am just curious as to the upgrade purpose/reasons.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  We'll see how it turns out ........

No new firmware detected on my 191/Xima app yet, but I agree: I'd be reluctant to update! :)

I did get tossed off in cold weather {off the EU, sorry} but I blame cold battery physics and an aggressive acceleration, not the firmware.

Interesting Villac that you don't have that update available yet.  Are you running the Iphone version 4.31 of the app?  Surely the XIMA app is the XIMA app on the Iphone no matter which IPS (191 Lhotz or 121+) wheel it's for?  I'm curious as to why I have that available and no one else does.  Maybe each respective wheel model has various differences that allot for varying firmware additions? Hmmmmmmm...........maybe I have THE golden prized version of the T350+ and mine has a special upgrade allowing it to be invincible/indestructable for life!!!!!!!!  Hahahahaha :-)

Definitely reluctant to upgrade and WILL NOT until I have discovered it safe to do so!  No desire to mess with an already safe ride!

Thanks again for your reply Villac as I attempt to get to the bottom of this mystery!  

True, 4.31 is the firmware version.  Iphone App version is I believe 1.1.4.  However, if you're running the Android APP (that we were all fortunate to acquire from the intelligent beings on this forum), pretty sure Kevin mentioned in one of his posts that his programming did not provide for the ability to update firmware.  Therefore, our Android APPs will never show that option.  I happen to have both type phones in my household, so I can run either APP on my wheel.  My "official" XIMA APP Itunes version does show an upgrade in firmware available and even IPS doesn't seem to have an answer yet.  Interesting and has me sooooo curious! 

However, if you're running the Android APP (that we were all fortunate to acquire from the intelligent beings on this forum), pretty sure Kevin mentioned in one of his posts that his programming did not provide for the ability to update firmware.  Therefore, our Android APPs will never show that option.  I happen to have both type phones in my household, so I can run either APP on my wheel.  My "official" XIMA APP Itunes version does show an upgrade in firmware available and even IPS doesn't seem to have an answer yet.  Interesting and has me sooooo curious! 

Actually, I think Kevin meant that his custom-app does not support firmware updates (yet), when I was helping him to get started with reverse-engineering the protocol with the decompiled Android-app, I found the piece of code handling the update (checks the version & downloads via a web-service):

So the functionality is there in the Android-app too.

Ok thanks!  Obviously didn't realize that esaj.  Does our Android have that functionality currently?  And.........do you have any ideas/insight as to the Itunes upgraded firmware option that is already available?

Edit:  Not understanding why a firmware upgrade would be available for update through one APP and not the other???????

Ok thanks!  Obviously didn't realize that esaj.  Does our Android have that functionality currently?  And.........do you have any ideas/insight as to the Itunes upgraded firmware option that is already available?

Edit:  Not understanding why a firmware upgrade would be available for update through one APP and not the other???????

I didn't poke around the update-service any further than trying a few calls, lest they think they're under attack or something ;)  I never ran the Android-app itself (didn't see much point, as I don't have a wheel to go with it), just decompiled it and looked up how the data is handled to give Kevin a starting point with further reverse-engineering. While the update-code is there, I cannot tell whether it actually works or not. Does @Kevin see an update available in the Android-version? Or did he update already? The firmware could very well be wheel model-specific, even if the app is the same for all models (don't remember what information it passed to the service anymore, ie. was there something to distinguish the model or was it just asking based on firmware version-numbers).

I didn't poke around the update-service any further than trying a few calls, lest they think they're under attack or something ;)  I never ran the Android-app itself (didn't see much point, as I don't have a wheel to go with it), just decompiled it and looked up how the data is handled to give Kevin a starting point with further reverse-engineering. While the update-code is there, I cannot tell whether it actually works or not. Does @Kevin see an update available in the Android-version? Or did he update already? The firmware could very well be wheel model-specific, even if the app is the same for all models (don't remember what information it passed to the service anymore, ie. was there something to distinguish the model or was it just asking based on firmware version-numbers).

I haven't tried running the Android version, I've just worked off of the decompiled code you provided ;) All my work has been on iOs.

Also, @esaj is correct - I did not add firmware update capability to my own version of the iOs app, but the function should be there in both the *official* iOs and Android apps.

Ok........ guess I've been really confused!  Sorry!  The only Android app I have or have ever been able to find is (what I thought was one you created Kevin) that unlocked the 30kph early.  I now realize (in my confused state) that the Android app you provided was one you, in fact, acquired through the seller.

(Stroke of luck! I contacted the seller directly and they sent me the Android app directly (there are two versions, one which unlocks the 30kph immediately and the other which requires riding 100km first). 

Anyway, now that (I guess) I have an official Android app (???), I have a few more questions in order to seek further clarity:

1.  Should the Android app, that unlocks early speed access immediately, have functionality re: updating firmware?

2.  How would a person download the original Android app re: riding 100 km first to unlock increased speed?  (can't find it on Google Play)

3.  And my BIGGEST DILEMMA......... what would be a possible purpose for a firmware upgrade available (beyond my current 4.31 version) on iOs but not Android?

***I have the iOs app version 4.31 also and it has recently provided an option to upgrade my wheel's firmware.***

Again, NOT planning on actually updating as I am very satisfied with my current 4.31 performance.  Simply determined to not be "conquered" by this mystery ,or what may just be, my inability to understand!  I know you understand that feeling of "needing" to figure something out, except I am 100% positive that your conceptual challenges are on a MUCH HIGHER plane than mine!  :-)

Nonetheless, it's surely a similar feeling in frustration........... It's now become an obsession!  LOL

@Sweet M , My plan would be to not change firmware. (but.. when there is a big red button on the control board, you can start out committed that you are not going to push the big red button, but that big red button keeps staring at you!) I connected my Android Xima App (instant unlock version) again to my Xima Lhotz, and still no offer of new firmware. I don't use the app while riding. I don't turn it on for days at a time. On my commute to work I'm happy to use 100% of my attention avoiding disaster and not spare a fraction for App action! Love life!

Archived