Collision with driver making left hand turn

Another accident story to help inform others. Fortunately I was not seriously injured.

Riding along the edge of the #2 lane around 15-20mph, oncoming car makes a left turn in front of me. I'm unable to stop in time and collide with the right rear panel. Wearing knee, elbow and wrist guards along with full face helmet. I fall backwards from the impact and injure my coccyx. The left foot rest is torn off and my left foot is injured as well.

No apparent damage to my helmet, some minor scrapes/abrasions on the knee and elbow pads. I believe they protected me from the brunt of impacting the vehicle but of course didn't protect my butt (literally :P). Too early to tell if it's just bone bruises or something more serious.

Even with a strobing bicycle light facing front the driver either didn't see me or misjudged how quickly I was traveling and thought they could make it. I wasn't able to slow down quickly enough and probably because I was focused on slowing down wasn't able to maneuver to the left to try avoiding the collision.

Accidents happen. Fortunately I walked away from this one and hopefully learned some things that can help in the future.

• Like 1

Yes, a lot of drivers not quite sure how to react to an EUC approaching, especially crossing a pedestrian crosswalk. They get confused about whether to let us go first or beat us to the light. It's always best to yield if you are not sure. Because between two bodies colliding--a car and an EUC, EUC will lose however you want to look at it. I have many flashbacks where I was glad that I yield. Otherwise, I would have been in hospital emergency or my neighborhood funeral home. Can any of us take this chance?

Typical accident for motorcyclists too. The fact that we only have 1 head light and not 2 makes it a lot harder to judge distance and speed.

You've been lucky, and depending on the case evase action might not have been the best solution, as you could end up in oncoming traffic.

Hopefully it's just a few butt bruises!

On my road bike I had people trying to cut me off- back then I could go as fast as 25mph, they just don't care, cars want to be first even when you have the right of way, I had so many close calls and the nerve of these people to curse me out as if is my fault they are about to kill me. When I ride with my wheel I also do not exceed speeds of 15-18mph, I am really afraid of getting hurt. I wish it was legal (in CA) to ride our unicycles in the river path, as far as I know only e-bikes class 1 are allowed there. I know some of you do it but I am too chicken to do that -my luck and I am the first one who gets busted doing that.

5 hours ago, Elder Meat said:

Another accident story to help inform others. Fortunately I was not seriously injured.

Riding along the edge of the #2 lane around 15-20mph, oncoming car makes a left turn in front of me. I'm unable to stop in time and collide with the right rear panel. Wearing knee, elbow and wrist guards along with full face helmet. I fall backwards from the impact and injure my coccyx. The left foot rest is torn off and my left foot is injured as well.

No apparent damage to my helmet, some minor scrapes/abrasions on the knee and elbow pads. I believe they protected me from the brunt of impacting the vehicle but of course didn't protect my butt (literally :P). Too early to tell if it's just bone bruises or something more serious.

Even with a strobing bicycle light facing front the driver either didn't see me or misjudged how quickly I was traveling and thought they could make it. I wasn't able to slow down quickly enough and probably because I was focused on slowing down wasn't able to maneuver to the left to try avoiding the collision.

Accidents happen. Fortunately I walked away from this one and hopefully learned some things that can help in the future.

Did the driver of the car stop?

15 minutes ago, 2 Drinks Behind said:

Almost makes you want to wear a helmet cam, just to catch evidence and license plate numbers for folks like this.

I'm apathetic about using my helmet can and my dashcam, not sure why, but when I was reviewing footage from both I would always see a lot of drivers running red lights, drivers I didn't notice doing so while filming.

I'd estimate about half of drivers run red lights, you do not think it's even close to that high but the camera doesn't lie. Because of that, I think red light cameras might actually be a very good idea, but the punishment shouldn't at all be financial but simply lock you out of your car for say a day or week.

5 hours ago, Elder Meat said:

Nope. Hit and run. He knew he was at fault and didn't want to face the consequences.

OMG... did you or anyone get a license?  Sorry to hear that.

I wonder what would happen in a case like that since EUCs are not fully recognized in Law in most places.

Nope, no license. It's been a good learning experience regarding insurance coverage. At the moment it appears to fall under the same guidelines as an electric bicycle, in that you're considered a pedestrian. However there's a chance you may not be since it's a motorized device. I'm waiting for a final decision from my car insurance company.