Where does one get tire changes?

chrisjunlee

Let's say I want to get my tire changed by someone that knows what they're doing. What's the best places to check? 

I can't imagine bike shops being OK with it since it's a big liability working on something like this, not to mention the 2-3 hours disassembling/re-assembling.

How much can I be expected to pay?

Do NOT let anyone else (unless it's a dedicated EUC person) disassemble your wheel. That can only end in pain. It's hard enough to do if you know what the f this thing is and how to do it.

Just remove the motor assembly and bring it to your preferred auto/bike/whatever shop. But at that point, might as well change the tire yourself.

I guess there is a business opportunity for EUC repairs in popular areas like Seattle, Bay area, LA, NYC...

Edited by meepmeepmayer

26 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Let's say I want to get my tire changed by someone that knows what they're doing. What's the best places to check? 

I can't imagine bike shops being OK with it since it's a big liability working on something like this, not to mention the 2-3 hours disassembling/re-assembling.

How much can I be expected to pay?

Unfortunately, I found EUC tire changes to be complex, with meticulous preparation and care during the entire process. Best to do it without distraction, in a clean area, with a chair and stool, with good lighting, and internet access on a large screen so you can you can watch several videos.

The components are ridiculously cheap. Tire is $20, two innertubes is $20, so $40 for several years and thousands of miles is good. I always change grip tape.

There's really only one "gotcha". Extreme care where the thick bundle of wires go through the axle. If it doesn't fit flat on the shell or slip in nicely, don't force it and possibly damage the cables, just think of how the cables fit when you took off the shell.

Put the tire in the hottest bath or leave it under the hot sun, and then you'll be able to put it into the rim with ease with bare hands.

• Like 1

another member if youre uncomfortable doing it? never heard of a place where you can take it in to get changed lol.. i do know of some dealers that will do this though.. it would be expensive more so if you have to ship it obviously.. its really easy to do yourself without any special tools besides some bicycle tire levers which are cheap, if you know what to do you can complete it in an hour

6 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

I remember Marty has issues with the mten3 and he ended up paying a pro.

Likewise, I just want to make sure I have that option if/when I royally mess up.

that was only the first time and because of the puny/thick tire being so extremely difficult to work with, 14"+ its easy to do yourself, daunting initially but i can do it with a blindfold on by now.. aah yes, a good backup plan is never a bad idea

btw i was assuming you were talking about changing the tire on the 16X.. if youre talking about the mten yea you may want to take it in if its your first time especially i doubt youd be able to do it yourself.. you could try heating the tire with a hair dryer or heat gun then using some soapy water to get it off though it is possible to do alone... but for any wheel if you want to take it in, remove the shell entirely and just take in the motor then any bike shop should easily be able to change it for you, no one except a couple dealers possibly would actually do the entire process, nor would i ever trust anyone but the most well known dealers to do it lol

20190316_181924.jpg

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

You can send it to me (at Roll.nz) and we will do it for you...   ;)

If you take the batteries out first it will be a lot easier to send it to us!   :D

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist