EUC and the RAIN ...

Guest PogArt Artur

Artur, I strongly advise against using WD40 - it is a water dispersant but it is very acidic and isn't intended for use on delicate pcb's. 

WD40 is fine on engines etc but you risk ruining electronic components with it, at the very least it attracts dust and debris which has been known to cause overheating of circuit boards.

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Artur, I strongly advise against using WD40 - it is a water dispersant but it is very acidic and isn't intended for use on delicate pcb's. 

WD40 is fine on engines etc but you risk ruining electronic components with it, at the very least it attracts dust and debris which has been known to cause overheating of circuit boards.

Thank you Peter for pro-advice.

I wasn't surprised for being advised to use WD-40, as I know that people tempting to use it everywhere, all way round?

I'm aware in some cases it won't harm, but if unsure of hazards caused, it might be harmful as well...

For example I was advised by motorbikers to get WD-40 no matter what, the chain cleaning, the disc brakes ... lol 😁

When I had studied the advices deeper, I found it might cause too much harm instead for mistaken/inproper usage  :)

I have found the WD-40 for disc brakes (don't remember if the chain as well), but IT WAS DESIGNED for disc brakes, and the proper information was on the original can 🙂

Thank you Peter very much.

I really wouldnt bother Artur. The waterproofing on the Z shell is excellent with rubber seals everywhere, 2nd line of defence is the boards are housed in yet another section with its own seal, and 3rd line of defence are the boards themselves which are laquered. Even the wiring runs through moulded rubber seals.

Unless you are going to go swimming with it I cant see how you would need to put any more effort into it. I stripped mine down a bit today to remove and wrap both the lights and even now the build quality of the Z makes me go gooey inside. Its simply beautiful.

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I really wouldnt bother Artur. The waterproofing on the Z shell is excellent with rubber seals everywhere, 2nd line of defence is the boards are housed in yet another section with its own seal, and 3rd line of defence are the boards themselves which are laquered. Even the wiring runs through moulded rubber seals.

Unless you are going to go swimming with it I cant see how you would need to put any more effort into it. I stripped mine down a bit today to remove and wrap both the lights and even now the build quality of the Z makes me go gooey inside. Its simply beautiful.

I really appreciate your professional and detailed description.

You know I were changing the headlight some time ago, and I had to open the sides of the Z then 🙂

I didn't have to go stripping it further, but you're right, all the wires are tidy placed inside, the sides tightly fitted too...

I've realised my post went a bit unexpected direction, though - about all those good advices regarding sealing the PBC, which is very appreciated.

My subject wasn't after getting advices how to improve the EUC against the rain, but simply if I should worry going through the rain 🙂

It was my first ride in heavy rain, I simply wanted to be informed if riding in the heavy rain may cause a FP, because of the water getting all over the wheel ...

The subject actually had triggered those keen advises how to seal the PCB.

I like the advice of @winterwheel, who pointed down the water getting around the charging dock/pins...

I needed put in on charge the second day after the rain, the wheel was obviously dry, but when I opened the rubber cover to plug the charger, there was still water ...

So thanks to @winterwheel advice, I'm putting more attention to that connection point since then.

Thank you @Planemo once again :)

*BTW I've lowered the tyre pressure couple of days ago, down to 23PSI.

I were topping up to 30PSI since I have my Z, not liking going any lower.

Something has changed in my mind, and I have stopped inflating the wheel for couple of weeks, just to see how it goes...

I've noticed I like it more, when the tyre isn't as hard as used to be.

I did check the pressure couple days ago -> 28PSI.

So it was only 2PSI difference...

I decided to lower it even more, down to 23PSI, and after all my experience gained on the hard tyre, I can now appreciate the lower pressure even more.

I can see better balancing, better turning (using the sides of the wide tyre), it feels more stable too, literally I like it much more, and it doesn't hurt that much when hitting the street's holes 😁

1 hour ago, PogArt Artur said:

I really appreciate your professional and detailed description.

You know I were changing the headlight some time ago, and I had to open the sides of the Z then 🙂

I didn't have to go stripping it further, but you're right, all the wires are tidy placed inside, the sides tightly fitted too...

I've realised my post went a bit unexpected direction, though - about all those good advices regarding sealing the PBC, which is very appreciated.

My subject wasn't after getting advices how to improve the EUC against the rain, but simply if I should worry going through the rain 🙂

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it mate. In fact I think you possibly increase the risk of something happening by poking around with the boards unless you are 100% comfortable with handling electronics. The charge port is fine too - there is a sort of 'labyrinth' seal between it and the rubber cover so that even water falling on top of it would have a hard job to work it's way into the pins, especially as the pin body is proud of the surrounding plastic. I wouldn't jet wash it for sure, but any splashing should be fine.

The Z is a beautiful example of thought out engineering - I have pulled apart a lot of things in my time and the way it's built just smacks of mass produced high-end consumer electronics. Everything has it's place and it's as solid as a rock. No movement of anything anywhere which of course would be a serious issue with an EUC given the vibrations they are subjected to. The cartridge battery with it's metal cover is another example - it ain't falling out even during high speed tumbling and I would wager the outside of the wheel would have to be smashed to pieces before it even thought about coming out given it's screwed in.

So you have come down on tyre pressure and joined the dark side :)  I seem to fluctuate between 15 and 20 and I still haven't nailed down what I prefer although tbh I think it changes depending on your time with the wheel. I still need to do some more test rides on a dodgy surface with varying pressures before I can make my mind up.

I had both the lights out today to wrap them with fly-eye. I did wrap them the other day but I wasn't 100% happy as it's difficult to get a perfect edge with the lights still in place so decided, given this is a brand new wheel, it has to be right. Edges look perfect now, and the film appears as a nice tint from a distance without sacrificing light output.

Like you, I think I will cry when the wheel sees it's first inevitable scratches :(

Guest PogArt Artur
20 hours ago, Planemo said:

So you have come down on tyre pressure and joined the dark side :)  I seem to fluctuate between 15 and 20 and I still haven't nailed down what I prefer although tbh

No, I wasn't even at once at 22psi 😋

Maybe now, when the tyre leaks some pressure out.., it'll get under 23psi lol 😁

15? No way, no any soon 😁😁😁

I'm willing to keep that 23 for now, it's been already couple of days since I'm commuting at that pressure, and I really like it.

I guess there's more to like about at 20 or 15psi too? 😋

I may try it some day 😁

Regarding the scratches, I have some rubbed off spots at the side panels.

I simply rubbed off the painting with my boots while riding 😁

So I took it as a common, natural thing.

But that scratch underneath the pedal..., lol 😎

Since it's happened I'm aware of that, and if I'm jumping off the kerb's edge, it is always in straight line 😁😁😁 

Lesson learnt 😎

I know it took you extra time to mask your lights, but it was worth it, now they're professionally and equally masked, spot on, well done 😎

Guest PogArt Artur
20 hours ago, Planemo said:

Screenshot_20190803-174950_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d454284047356532afeb02cc458e6c84.jpg

Screenshot_20190803-175011_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1cd8983c1438ecc62088b4c6fa185a3f.jpg

I like that short mudguard, it won't work for me, because I'm using the end of trolley handle to mount my kick stand, in your case, the whole frame is missing, so I wouldn't be able to park the wheel on the floor - have you sorted it out any other way?

I just have to be able to 'park' the Z on the floor 🙂

I'm not keeping those rubber protection pads at all.

I took them off soon after I started riding, they were annoying me, were adding some extra weight to the wheel itself, and the pads started sticking out soon, especially the parts over the headlight...

If you'll like my tip regarding the pedals openers, I have no any, but fitted those rounded rubbers (dalmatian) at the sides where the pedals getting in touch to the Z's body.

Those rubbers are working as a spacers too (in my case) so it's enough gap, between the edge of the pedal and the wheel's body,to let me open the pedals by my boots easily.

Let me know if you like to see pics, as my description may be confusing ...  

Regarding the scratches, I have some rubbed off spots at the side panels.

I simply rubbed off the painting with my boots while riding 😁

After I wrapped my Z6, I went for a ride wearing my usual walking boots. Came back and saw marks on the sides of the wheel above the plates. I was heartbroken. Wasnt sure what caused it at first as I dont clench the wheel, then realised that it was the metal open lace eyelets at the top of the boot which had been rubbing. No problems since as I switched straight to flat soled sneakers (like Vans). The only part of me that touches the wheel now is my soles and the inside of my lower leg when fast cornering. I prefer it with the top pads for this reason, plus I can lay the wheel down without marking it as I dont use the trolley purely cos its as ugly as sin (yes I am fickle when it comes to asthetics :) and ruins the look of the back end but as you say its practical for some. My wheel is either being ridden, stored upright against a wall or laying flat in the back of a car so its not a big issue for me. If I went shopping with it then yes I think it would be a problem without the trolley.

I have sorted the upper pads by replacing the stock adhesive pads around the edges of the pads (the big main ones are still in place) and using double sided foam tape like the stuff used for car numberplates. It works well, and no peeling anywhere, even from the 2 bits over the top of the headlight.

I dont use the lower pads cos they look shit :)

The new owner of my Z6 got my Luk pedal openers as I couldnt be bothered to remove them and also thought it might help the sale. Not actually sure if I will get some more for the Z10 or not. They do work, but again I like the clean lines of the stock plates, and by design it is necessary for the Luk openers to srick out a little . Also, I noticed that when picking the wheel up after laying on its side, the Luk openers would pull the plate open as they are the last point to contact the suface. This started to annoy me a bit. Your idea sounds like an option, although tbh I rarely have things in my hands so its not a big issue to just get my fingers in to open the plates. I got the Luk ones after an issue at a zebra crossing once, but I had something in my hands at the time.

I dont think I could use my footwear to wedge open the plates as you do, I am too anal about scratching the panels! (Sad I know).

I think I may leave it as it is now. Looks nice (for the moment!).

In the Netherlands i can be as rainy as in England.

Never let the wheel stay, soft rain, hard rain, very wet streets, never had any problem.

Acm - monster and msx are enough protected against rain.

Did nothing extra to protect the wheel against rain.

See this,

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I dont use the lower pads cos they look shit :)

I know 😁😁😁

All those padding were making my Z too bulky to my taste 😎

Regarding the pedal openers...

In my case I'm commuting through the town centre, I'm stopping often, crossing the "zebras" with pedestrians, streets with the traffic lights...

The trolley handle is a must for me, yes, I wish I could get rid of it too, but pushing the Z would become very inconvenient, regardless on the pedestrian crossings or in the stores while shopping...

I have to have it fitted.

The pedal openers - check out the photos please.

While crossing the street or walking a bit, I'm usually holding with my right hand the Z's handle, so to open the pedals I would get bend a bit lower to reach the pedal with my other hand to open it...

The gap achieved by the rubbers is allowing me , simply touch the top of the edge with my sole of the boot and simply open it.

This is the way I do it, holding the Z by right hand, then left sole opening the left pedal, and right sole the right pedal - off I go 😁

The rubbers may be not too aesthetic to your taste, but I have to have them to keep the fitted studs on my pedals safely away off the side panels - so in my case the rubbers doing two good things at once 😁  

I just have noticed while taking the photos for you, that I'm rubbing the front spot of my right panel, and back spot at the left panel - interesting 😁

The boots hasn't anything sharp to scratch the panels, it's just leather and the sole...

IMG_04082019_203413_(710_x_995_pixel).thumb.jpg.a30fe89b4b05c05ef8babf56adf6bcbd.jpgIMG_04082019_203403_(710_x_995_pixel).thumb.jpg.ce1c7a9814284346be8350fa61327632.jpgIMG_04082019_203350_(710_x_995_pixel).thumb.jpg.29fd6523cf6ff19d838e3914638e99f0.jpgIMG_04082019_203338_(710_x_995_pixel).thumb.jpg.5a8546054838dbd4fa3a934c91008184.jpgIMG_04082019_205204_(710_x_995_pixel).thumb.jpg.18e3e9f522ee78b5c3832173828eefb4.jpg

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, gotmotion2016 said:

In the Netherlands i can be as rainy as in England.

Never let the wheel stay, soft rain, hard rain, very wet streets, never had any problem.

Acm - monster and msx are enough protected against rain.

Did nothing extra to protect the wheel against rain.

See this,

Thanks A LOT my friend, I love the video 😁😁😁

I I just have noticed while taking the photos for you, that I'm rubbing the front spot of my right panel, and back spot at the left panel - interesting 😁

The boots hasn't anything sharp to scratch the panels, it's just leather and the sole...

Yeah it won't take much repeated rubbing to mark the side panels.

My sneakers don't contact the sides at all so all good for the moment. I usually ride with my heels level with the back of the plates, and the front of the shoe points outwards a bit. Everyone seems so different with foot positioning - Hsiang rides with one of his feet practically hanging off the plate, on tip toe! Both my feet are in the same positions, I have tried different ways but my brain cant handle not being symmetrical on a symmetrical device!

Guest PogArt Artur
21 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Yeah it won't take much repeated rubbing to mark the side panels.

My sneakers don't contact the sides at all so all good for the moment. I usually ride with my heels level with the back of the plates, and the front of the shoe points outwards a bit. Everyone seems so different with foot positioning - Hsiang rides with one of his feet practically hanging off the plate, on tip toe! Both my feet are in the same positions, I have tried different ways but my brain cant handle not being symmetrical on a symmetrical device!

As I said before, my rubbing marks are differently placed, but I've noticed also my feet are symmetrical as yours THEY HAVE TO BE - lol 😎😎😎, but for some reason it seems that the left foot has to point a little bit outside at the front, where my right foot is sticking straight forward , lol :)

But both the feet must be equally placed at both sides, where I can ride with the right foot a little bit being upfront of the left, never opposite though, if it's happen I need to correct it 😁

Lol, is it something wrong with me?

😁😁😁

18 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

As I said before, my rubbing marks are differently placed, but I've noticed also my feet are symmetrical as yours THEY HAVE TO BE - lol 😎😎😎, but for some reason it seems that the left foot has to point a little bit outside at the front, where my right foot is sticking straight forward , lol :)

But both the feet must be equally placed at both sides, where I can ride with the right foot a little bit being upfront of the left, never opposite though, if it's happen I need to correct it 😁

Lol, is it something wrong with me?

😁😁😁

nope.. everyone has a position theyre more comfortable in.. i generally ride with my right foot going over the front of the pedal and my left foot back a few inches and pointed outwards more... it is dependant on the EUC though, for different models i have different stances that i have found over many many km are most comfortable for me.. a couple examples like that was my ks16s, on my 14s i like my right foot to be in line with the front of the pedal and the left foot ever so slight farther back, both pointed inwards.. ninebot both feet are sticking way forwards of the pedal my heel lines up with the back of the pedal and both feet point outwards.. inmotion v5f both feet perfectly centered and aligned with each other pointing out ever so slightly.. btw for rain just get a backpack waterproof cover.. i use em on my eucs during a downpour and they work great.. i know the z10 has the board on the side, not the top like most but it already has really good waterproofing and because of gravity i would only be worried about water from above so a rain cover should be perfectly good for even the worst downpours on pretty much any euc just make sure you have the rear mudguard on because of the mostly exposed tire theres not a lot of area to put the rain cover on.. front part of the tire doesnt matter as much

Guest PogArt Artur
7 hours ago, Rywokast said:

btw for rain just get a backpack waterproof cover.. i use em on my eucs during a downpour and they work great

I'd never have thought about using it over the EUC 🤔

That's good idea, why not, easy and quick to put it on/off.

Regarding the feet position I can only imagine that many of us have their own preferred spot on the EUCs pedals 🙂

It's very personal preference,that everyone developing on its own.

I have no any other experience,but NB E+ and the Z10 only, in my case I got used to keep my feet my way on E+, and once upgraded to Z10 it became natural position for me 😎🙂

Impressive how many different EUCs you could practice on 😎😎😎 

Best regards.

• 4 weeks later...

@PogArt Artur , just wanted to give you an update which might help ease your concerns. I got caught out in torrential downpour the other day, whilst at the same time trying to navigate extremely muddy trails. I fell off 3 times, my daughter 5. It was virtually unrideable (in fact we had to walk several sections) and I only wish I had taken pictures of us and the wheels when we finally got back as we were covered head to toe in mud. It broke my heart to see the wheels in such a state. You could barely make out any black of the tyre or case at all, just thick sticky brown mud everywhere.

Anyway, both wheels were hosed off when we got home, and I mean hosed. It was the only way to get them cleaned up properly. We had them on their sides, upside down, on top, all sorts.

Yesterday I opened up both sides of the Z10 (the V5F will have to wait) and found that nothing, and I mean nothing had gotten into the battery or electronic compartments. It would have been easy to see given the colour of the mud and the amount of water seen by the wheel, and there was no trace of seepage at all.

I am confident that the Z10, at least, is brilliantly sealed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
45 minutes ago, Planemo said:

@PogArt Artur , just wanted to give you an update which might help ease your concerns. I got caught out in torrential downpour the other day, whilst at the same time trying to navigate extremely muddy trails. I fell off 3 times, my daughter 5. It was virtually unrideable (in fact we had to walk several sections) and I only wish I had taken pictures of us and the wheels when we finally got back as we were covered head to toe in mud. It broke my heart to see the wheels in such a state. You could barely make out any black of the tyre or case at all, just thick sticky brown mud everywhere.

Anyway, both wheels were hosed off when we got home, and I mean hosed. It was the only way to get them cleaned up properly. We had them on their sides, upside down, on top, all sorts.

Yesterday I opened up both sides of the Z10 (the V5F will have to wait) and found that nothing, and I mean nothing had gotten into the battery or electronic compartments. It would have been easy to see given the colour of the mud and the amount of water seen by the wheel, and there was no trace of seepage at all.

I am confident that the Z10, at least, is brilliantly sealed.

Do I get it right dear friend?

Your "brand new" Z went through such muddy disaster?

You've had to hosed it all way round?

High pressure hosed...

Unbelievable!

Nothing affected inside?

No signs of what has happened?

Wow...

RESPECT !!!

Thank you very much for sharing your extreme experience @Planemo .

I'm also happy that your and your's daughter "muddy adventure" ended safely home...

I wasn't there, but reading your story is giving me great idea, that it was very risky riding...

Thank you 😎 

11 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Do I get it right dear friend?

Your "brand new" Z went through such muddy disaster?

I'm also happy that your and your's daughter "muddy adventure" ended safely home...

I wasn't there, but reading your story is giving me great idea, that it was very risky riding...

Thank you 😎 

Yep, the new Z10. I was nearly crying mate, given that I don't even like getting it dusty and I am a bit OCD about such things. It was just one of those occasions - sunny and dry when we left, but a major downpour halfway round (after 6 odd miles) the lake we were circling. Came out of nowhere, nothing we could do other than attempt to get back asap. Problem was, it was so muddy it was just as hard to walk (we had flat soled trainers on) as it was to ride. Although we fell, it was at such slow speeds onto sloppy mud (and we were still kitted up) that we didn't get any real injuries. I had a proper sideways moment on the Z, I even went back to look at the skid mark after I fell off which was clearly visible in the mud. The slide (drift) was about 7 feet long lol. Would have been a proper hero had I held onto that haha.

I wouldn't say I high pressure hosed them, but the garden hose was set to 'jet' so it had more force than rain for sure. It was the only way I could get the mud off from some areas, especially around the inside of the case. Utter mess mate, but all good now after some TLC :)

Guest PogArt Artur
16 minutes ago, Planemo said:

given that I don't even like getting it dusty

I can only use my imagination of the situation...

BTW regarding to your description of the sudden weather change...

About two days ago in Polish part of Tatry mountains 157 tourists got seriously injured,and 4 was killed by lightning...

Similar scenario to yours.

Nicely starting day, no thunder forecasting.

Tourists went out trekking Tatry...

Witnesses said the beautiful weather has changed within 5 minutes, from sunny to scary thunderbolts hitting the mountain and hurting and killing people...

The weather becoming very unpredictable sometimes, isn't it?

*I hope the wet mud softened the falls, so there's no any major marks on your Z.