EUC and the RAIN ...

Guest PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur

Hi, just out of blue question 😋

Today is actually first time, I ever had rode in such heavy, proper rain 😎

This WET condition has made me a bit worry, because I didn't know what to expect.

This is why I've started this topic,which is aimed to experienced EUC users - all weather condition.

Dear friends - is it higher risk riding in the rain?, should I avoid?, or it's ok - please 🙂 ?

* I mean the cut off the battery, if accidentally the water (rain) gets somewhere to the wires?

Thank you in advance 😎

Edited by PogArt Artur

Wires aren't the problem. Water has a very high resistance, it won't do squat to wires & engine.

Some ROV's don't even waterproof their engines if they are to be operated in fresh water.

The only really problematic part is PCB. They're usually covered with varnish and mounted quite high on the wheel. A drop in the wrong place can disable/damage it. How often that happens is a different question though. :-)

Edited by atdlzpae

Guest PogArt Artur
3 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

The only really problematic part is PCB.

Thanks for advice, could you please explain the PCB short?

I have no clue what does it mean 😎.

Cheers.

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

You can use wd40 on the pcb. 

I have a problem, lol - PCB 😎

So WD-40 is kind off multiple usage 🙂

Thanks !

PCB = the motherboard of the vehicle/smartphone/laptop.

There are two ways it can damage the board:

1. Corrosion. Louis Rossmann made a nice test of that:

Corrosion is not that bad in fresh water, coca cola is WAY worse.

2. Electronic interference - for example a big enough drop may short the 84V to 3.3V rail and in turn fry electronics (that suddenly get 84V instead of 3.3V). It can also screw up with resistor values, temporarily disabling communication between chips.

In practice you'd need a really good luck or a swim in the lake to get water into your electronics. KS16S it's pretty well protected from all sides, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, the layer of varnish on KS is quite big - I had to scrape quite a lot to be able to solder the motherboard. :)

Don't worry about the rain. Just don't go swimming in lakes. And no puddles higher than your feet.
Although I've seen people on youtube go higher than their feet and it was working fine. :-D

Edited by atdlzpae

Guest PogArt Artur

Thanks a lot for PCB definition - lol 😋

I think I'll put a WD-40 layer over the PCB (now I know what it is 🤣).

Thanks again ...

8 minutes ago, Jacky Heshi said:

Maybe you should consider conformal coating instead of WD 40. It's a much cleaner process

+1 on that. Get some conformal coating. It's super easy to apply.

Get this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O9YIV6/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=oscar0f7-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B008O9YIV6&linkId=0b69d7aab1537c551c65463d24d3e193

I use it on my drones

Also, get a UV light. The nice thing is that with the UV light you can see where you forgot to apply it.

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
3 hours ago, Jacky Heshi said:

Maybe you should consider conformal coating instead of WD 40. It's a much cleaner process

Again - no clue what to do...

Could you share more details please?

Guest PogArt Artur
3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

+1 on that. Get some conformal coating. It's super easy to apply.

Get this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O9YIV6/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=oscar0f7-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B008O9YIV6&linkId=0b69d7aab1537c551c65463d24d3e193

I use it on my drones

Also, get a UV light. The nice thing is that with the UV light you can see where you forgot to apply it.

Thanks a lot, that's great idea ...

I have a UV bulb - thanks for a tip.

Could you provide the DIY process as well, how to apply it properly please?

I'll search for applying tips as well 🙂

I guess it's external layer, not need to open the EUC to get to the PBC?

Sounds easier to do - thanks 🙂

3 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Could you provide the DIY process as well, how to apply it properly please?

I'll search for applying tips as well 🙂

It's not hard. You just take the applicator and smear it all over the pcb, on both sides. Use the UV light to check if you missed a spot. You can't put too much on it. Then leave it a night to dry.

One thing to be careful with: if you disconnect any connectors do NOT apply the coating to those connectors. You'll isolate the pins and the connectors won't work anymore! Also be careful if the board contains push buttons (which I presume it doesn't). Same goes for those. Otherwise just apply generously.

https://oscarliang.com/waterproofing-drone-electronics/

Guest PogArt Artur
7 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

It's not hard. You just take the applicator and smear it all over the pcb, on both sides. Use the UV light to check if you missed a spot. You can't put too much on it. Then leave it a night to dry.

One thing to be careful with: if you disconnect any connectors do NOT apply the coating to those connectors. You'll isolate the pins and the connectors won't work anymore! Also be careful if the board contains push buttons (which I presume it doesn't). Same goes for those. Otherwise just apply generously.

https://oscarliang.com/waterproofing-drone-electronics/

THANK YOU - UNDERSTOOD 🙂🙂🙂

It's first time I'm digging this subject, so I'm very confused what to do, how to do it.

Thank you for your patience ...

This conformal coating is probably superior to the WD-40, so I will go for it.

Thanks for great advices - to all of you guys.

Guest PogArt Artur
9 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

Maybe don't do anything? I'm pretty sure that the manufacturer already thought about water...

Lol, that's the best advice ever 😎😎😎

You hit the point perfectly to be honest 🙂

It can be down to my preferences, you're right .., I can do something to look after the PBC, or leave it as it is, counting on the manufacturer's knowledge.

I will do the conformal coating,though , I will sleep better 😁

Thanks again 😎

Edited by PogArt Artur

I ride all year with high mileage in the UK, lots of rain. I have the ks16s, 18xl and msx; so far no issue. Next time I have one of my wheel open, I might apply the products mentioned above though, just to be safer. Among the three wheels I've got, the one I fear most damage from water is the MSX because the water theoretically can sip through the trolley handles, the pcb is lower to the ground ( not 100% sure here ), and the shell is cracked.

So I would say it might depend on your wheel as well.

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, gena said:

I ride all year with high mileage in the UK, lots of rain. I have the ks16s, 18xl and msx; so far no issue. Next time I have one of my wheel open, I might apply the products mentioned above though, just to be safer. Among the three wheels I've got, the one I fear most damage from water is the MSX because the water theoretically can sip through the trolley handles, the pcb is lower to the ground ( not 100% sure here ), and the shell is cracked.

So I would say it might depend on your wheel as well.

Thanks for your comment!

That's very appreciate as you're in UK as well 😁

I feel much safer after reading your words, I should be fine too as well.

I think my EUC is well build, so no internal leaking fear I guess 😁

I've started this topic to listen to the others, like you for example, as it was first time I rode in such rain, I had to go at lower speed too, because it was just safer as the water did cover the street holes perfectly.

I'm commuting for two months now, so I'm mostly aware of the street's condition, but ... 🙂

Thank you.

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

PogArt, don't go crazy on coating the PCB though! It needs some air circulation to cool itself in the summer. :efee8319ab:

So many advices now, and literally every each has its rights, and good points 🙂

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

Riding in the rain for me has been fine, but you need to be careful to ensure the connection points are dry before plugging in the charger or you may wind up needing to replace the charger. 

That's VERY interesting point I wouldn't ever think off !!!

Thank you for saving me problems.