How do phones work?

Michael Anthony

This question is about EUs... sort of. I'm planning to purchase the new Pinwheel T1F Smart/Faster... I think in the US it's called the T1S. It comes with an app similar to the Ninebot and some other EUs but seems to only run on an Android. It may have an IOS version soon but who knows when. 

I'm thinking of just buying a cheap Android smartphone with Bluetooth and using it exclusively for the purpose of this app. Does anyone know how these things work. (With some of the pysics/calculus/electrical engineering discussions I've seen on this forum, I'm sure some of you could build a smartphone using some rubber bands, a few paperclips and a wad of gum.) I just need to know if I can use an Android smartphone that has Bluetooth to run the EU app without a sim card or contract with a carrier. I have my iPhone with Verizon, so I just need the second phone to run the app and communicate with the EU. I figure I can use WiFi to download the app and all that. 

I think it depends on the phone. Some I've had wouldn't do anything without a sim card except flash up an emergency calls screen others have done everything that didn't require a sim. 

Probably best bet is to visit a phone shop and get a demo on the model you are interested in.

Thanks for the info. I will have to look around for a cheap Android phone and then check to see that particular phone can use bluetooth with a sim card. I would prefer not to have to carry a tablet around. I have an iPad so I would be using the tablet just for the EU. It sounds like some phones can use bluetooth without a sim so I just have to make sure to get the right one.

Thanks,

Michael

I finally was given the link to down load the App for my Chinese 9not clone.  I had it running it was neat, but mine doesn't show Battery.  I can honk the horn, turn on the lamp, and mess with the side lights. All this I can do from a little remote that came with it. I guess it has calibration on the App (scared to mess with it)   

I was checking out the App thinking the little speed gauge was cool, almost hit a sunken man hole cover.  Long story short (I know too late)  I now have a really sore Bumm.

Here is my questions. What good does it do?  Can't use it while riding, this app doesn't record.

Is there a better app out there I can use?  9bots doesn't seem my wheel.

Holding a phone whilst riding isn't that difficult when you've had a few hundred miles/kilometers of riding time.

I use my phone camera regularly whilst riding as I can't get the hang of my GoPro, the led window is too small for me to see without my reading glasses and if I have to use the phone app I may as well just use the phone camera.

My son who loves to play the "Flash idiot" rides around drinking from a full pint of beer and never spills a drop, he's even run off an unplanned dismount with a pint in his hand without spilling any. :)

I don't think my app beeps. are there other apps I can try?

Where are you buying the Pinwheel T1F Smart/Faster from? I've never seen any mention of it having an app?

No mine is a Chinese knock off of the 9bot .  It isn't bad.  210WH  says it a 350w motor, I cant tell it is the only wheel I've been on.   

http://victec.en.alibaba.com/product/60320823190-800831664/16_inch_smart_unicycle_self_balancing_electric_scooter_with_bluetooth_wth_led.html

Where are you buying the Pinwheel T1F Smart/Faster from? I've never seen any mention of it having an app?

Hi Tom,

In short, I ended up purchasing my Pinwheel direct from Topjoy but want a maze that turned out to be. I had read briefly about the Pinwheel T1 on this forum and somethimg about it sparked my interest. Now looking back, I can't even remember what it was that caught my eye. Maybe it was the mostly exposed wheel or maybe just the cheap price. 

I plan to buy a Ninebot Pro down the line(or maybe a Kingsong) but I wanted something cheap but decent to learn and crash repeatedly. With that in mind, the Pinwheel sounded like a good possibility. Once I started trying to find out more than just the basics of the Pinwheel, I really fell down the rabbit hole. 

I'm a bit of a research fanatic with about anything I plan to buy; I think that's a nice way of saying completely obsessive. Pinwheel definitely put me to the test. I won't go into the ins and outs of my digging; afterall, all you asked for was where I am buying the Pinwheel T1F Smart/Faster... Probably wish you had never asked. 

Long story short(maybe too late for that), I eventually tracked down a Skype username for a sales rep at Topjoyint(the company that makes the Pinwheel although they are either owned by or own Skyworld whose name came up a lot during my research.) Actually, on Amazon US there are two storefronts selling the Pinwheel: Topjoy and Skyworld. They seem to be one in the same although Skyworld includes a slightly ominous disclaimer insinuating that they are the only legitimate seller. The Skype user name didn't seem to work but included sales07 in the name so I just kept changing the number until I finally contacted someone from the company.  It was a bit hit and miss, but I finally hit. 

The Pinwheel just came up live about a week ago. www.pinwheelonline.com It is a bit of a mess but with some searching you can track down the info about the app. There are basically three versions: T1(original model), T1F or T1Faster(stopped production due to some operating issues but seems that there are still plenty on the market) and the newest version, the T1S, also called the T1F Smart/Faster. 

The newest version comes with an Android app(supposedly an iphone app soon) that seems to give similar info like the Ninebot app. I doubt it's as fleshed out. I haven't read or heard anything about it dealing with firmware. It does give info like temp, speed and allows the user to change the warning speed beeps to various speeds. Once I have one in hand and an Android to run it on, I will give an update.

Michael

Hi Tom,

In short, I ended up purchasing my Pinwheel direct from Topjoy but want a maze that turned out to be. I had read briefly about the Pinwheel T1 on this forum and somethimg about it sparked my interest. Now looking back, I can't even remember what it was that caught my eye. Maybe it was the mostly exposed wheel or maybe just the cheap price. 

I plan to buy a Ninebot Pro down the line(or maybe a Kingsong) but I wanted something cheap but decent to learn and crash repeatedly. With that in mind, the Pinwheel sounded like a good possibility. Once I started trying to find out more than just the basics of the Pinwheel, I really fell down the rabbit hole. 

I'm a bit of a research fanatic with about anything I plan to buy; I think that's a nice way of saying completely obsessive. Pinwheel definitely put me to the test. I won't go into the ins and outs of my digging; afterall, all you asked for was where I am buying the Pinwheel T1F Smart/Faster... Probably wish you had never asked. 

Long story short(maybe too late for that), I eventually tracked down a Skype username for a sales rep at Topjoyint(the company that makes the Pinwheel although they are either owned by or own Skyworld whose name came up a lot during my research.) Actually, on Amazon US there are two storefronts selling the Pinwheel: Topjoy and Skyworld. They seem to be one in the same although Skyworld includes a slightly ominous disclaimer insinuating that they are the only legitimate seller. The Skype user name didn't seem to work but included sales07 in the name so I just kept changing the number until I finally contacted someone from the company.  It was a bit hit and miss, but I finally hit. 

The Pinwheel just came up live about a week ago. www.pinwheelonline.com It is a bit of a mess but with some searching you can track down the info about the app. There are basically three versions: T1(original model), T1F or T1Faster(stopped production due to some operating issues but seems that there are still plenty on the market) and the newest version, the T1S, also called the T1F Smart/Faster. 

The newest version comes with an Android app(supposedly an iphone app soon) that seems to give similar info like the Ninebot app. I doubt it's as fleshed out. I haven't read or heard anything about it dealing with firmware. It does give info like temp, speed and allows the user to change the warning speed beeps to various speeds. Once I have one in hand and an Android to run it on, I will give an update.

Michael

Hi Michael,

That's amazing - I actually did try tracking down more information on the other Pinwheel models a few days ago, spent 3 hours deep in google and had no luck. Could I ask how much you paid for it?

Hi Tom,

Yeah, and that was the Cliff notes version. It was crazy. I ended up paying $398.00 total including shipping to NYC. Hopefully it will arrive soon. They said around the 18th... But from China you never know. It was cheaper than had I gone through Amazon but I did spend a lot of time back and forth with the sales rep. 

Michael 

Do the eu apps rely on phone 'GPS' at all? Because I have smartphone but no data services at all, only WiFi use...

Obviously, I can not use to track route would need GPS... I own a separate garmin GPS unit...

I asked before about a bluetooth GPS units tied to phone, but got no conclusion answers...

Archived