KS16S Handle Epic Fail

Patton250

Well my son broke the top part of the retractable handle off one of our KS16S’s. I bought a new one from Jason. Zero instructions of course. He did forward a video on how to change a tire on that wheel so we when at it.  Somewhat easy to take apart but still a pain in the butt. I imagine the plastic parts can’t handle but a couple of times going through that before they break. Anyway we managed to swap the complete handle assembly out. But now  The new handle will not go all the way down in and engage so you cannot lift the unit up like a briefcase at this point and now in the all the way out position it doesn’t lock anymore either. It did at first couple times but now not anymore. I mean good grief. 

2 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Well my son broke the top part of the retractable handle off one of our KS16S’s. I bought a new one from Jason. Zero instructions of course. He did forward a video on how to change a tire on that wheel so we when at it.  Somewhat easy to take apart but still a pain in the butt. I imagine the plastic parts can’t handle but a couple of times going through that before they break. Anyway we managed to swap the complete handle assembly out. But now  The new handle will not go all the way down in and engage so you cannot lift the unit up like a briefcase at this point and now in the all the way out position it doesn’t lock anymore either. It did at first couple times but now not anymore. I mean good grief. 

I replaced the handle on my 16s not too long ago and it was a straight swap with no adjustments to be made. 

Only pain for me was tapping out the pin at the bottom of one of the rails. 

Sounds like the plastic stick you slide into the each rail may not be seated all the way preventing the button engagement. 

This will most likely be to do with the button pushing down on the inside rods.

Try taking just the handle off and manually pressing down on the rods - you should be able to slide them all the way in until they lock - then to pull them out again use a screwdriver inside the slider. Press the rod down and using the screwdriver on an angle, gentley lift it out.

If that works, then you need to look at the handle itself - try putting it on the other way around, or openning it and turning around the button mechanism - it sounds a bit dodgy, but once everytthing is lined up it should work as expected (there's not that much to them after all).

31 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

This will most likely be to do with the button pushing down on the inside rods.

Try taking just the handle off and manually pressing down on the rods - you should be able to slide them all the way in until they lock - then to pull them out again use a screwdriver inside the slider. Press the rod down and using the screwdriver on an angle, gentley lift it out.

If that works, then you need to look at the handle itself - try putting it on the other way around, or openning it and turning around the button mechanism - it sounds a bit dodgy, but once everytthing is lined up it should work as expected (there's not that much to them after all).

I will definitely try this. Man I was so proud of myself and my son that we get this silly thing installed. LOL 

• Like 1

My wheel had the first generation handle. I learned that as it broke in 2 seconds. I got a replacement. Which was also a first gen. I learned that when it broke in my hand and my wheel fell and fractured my foot. 3rd was their new one and its been great, although my brother now has that wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had to replace my 16s handle and bought the replacement from e wheels.  It looks perfect but it won’t lock it just slides up and down and you cannot depress the button.   I took it back off and reinstalled.  Fiddled with the plastic rods put them in every which way..  it looks perfect and slides nice and easy.  Just once I screwed the handle onto the poles it’s frozen in the open position and will slide up and down easily .  I got tired of messing with it and just left it.   

My second trolley handle on my KS16S just broke yesterday. 

Last time I had to wait for 6 months until getting a new one. These three flights stairs makes it even more awesome.....these next couple of months will be awesome :w00t2:

:facepalm:

P_20190711_204712_compress24.jpg

I feel your pain - I just went through the effort of re-installing the new handle and trolley bars.  I can tell you this much - it IS possible to make it all work right.

My biggest effort came once I had the trolley bars installed in the wheel.  What I found made it much easier was to take the fiberglass rods OUT of the trolley bars.

Push the fiberglass rods then INTO the handle, and feel the button pushing them out (just so you know where everything should fit and feel).

With the fiberglass rods (and the little black pieces at the bottom they're attached to) installed in the handle on both sides - then go ahead and drop the whole assembly into the two trolley bars.  Get a second pair of hands if you need, but doing it this way, and making sure the handle bar was fully pushed into the trolley bar withOUT pushing the handle bar button and having anything come loose was the trick for me.  I probably screwed and unscrewed, flipped the handle bar around, and re-pushed in those stupid fiberglass rods three times before I finally got everything to work like it did on Day 1.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...