Aikesu A9 - 2000W 1360WH 22inx7.5in Tire One Wheel Motorcycle

As some of you may have seen. 

The video I uploaded long ago was reuploaded by Electrek for an article about it, as it became available on Alibaba https://electrek.co/2021/03/13/awesomely-weird-alibaba-ev-of-the-week-electric-motorcycle-one-wheel/

127000 views as of now. 

It is also now available on Alibaba (with new pictures and videos of the final improved products result after over a year selling only on China) 

https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=1600177556590&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D1600177556590%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

Edited by Jean eRide.ie Community

• 9 months later...

I got my Aikesu A9 unicycle this week. 2000 W, 1360 WH, looks hot, but I would have a question or two ...:
1. There are no setting options in the Chinese operating instructions. Here I read how to set up the gyroscope by pressing and holding the power button. Is there another way to set this?
Maybe on the motherboard?
2 Motherboard type: Begode_Unicycle_20210607, V12.6.
Does anyone have a description of this? I'd be grateful for!
I want to connect a throttle and I'm looking for solutions.
Where could it be connected? If anyone had any information about this I would appreciate it very much ...
3. I feel very unstable, but it may be because I haven't gone through it yet and I can't get used to it ... Does anyone have any experience with this?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Refi64 said:

There are no setting options in the Chinese operating instructions. Here I read how to set up the gyroscope by pressing and holding the power button. Is there another way to set this?

Maybe with the gotway/begode or some 3rd party apps like darknessbot, euc world or wheellog as the motherboard is a

24 minutes ago, Refi64 said:

Motherboard type: Begode_Unicycle_20210607, V12.6.

?

24 minutes ago, Refi64 said:

You are the throttle - as this is a self balancing device. If anything else controls the throttle you will fall of the wheel.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Refi64 said:

I got my Aikesu A9 unicycle this week. 
Motherboard type: Begode_Unicycle_20210607, V12.6.

We don't know if it has a bluetooth connection, but try it: use the free app called EUC World and attempt to connect when the unicycle is powered on. If successful, select any Gotway/Begode 67V model, and it should show you the battery voltage and board temperature. (The speed will be very wrong for your 22" tire, but ignore it.) Then you can trigger calibration using the wheel settings. More instructions here: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/19984-euc-world-manual-or-help-page/?do=findComment&comment=334558 

Let us know if it works!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are the throttle - as this is a self balancing device. If anything else controls the throttle you will fall of the wheel.

I don’t really want to replace the self balancing gyroscope. But I want to inject the signal from the throttle lever into the engine control. Because if you lean forward, the engine will get a signal to rotate forward. What if I didn't lean forward, I just send a signal to the controller that senses it has to go forward ... I was thinking of something like that. Do you think this is feasible? It really is worth nothing without self balancing!

5 hours ago, Refi64 said:

What if I didn't lean forward, I just send a signal to the controller that senses it has to go forward ...

If the motor accelerates by an throttle lever signal without you leaning forward you fall backward.

5 hours ago, Refi64 said:

I was thinking of something like that. Do you think this is feasible? It really is worth nothing without self balancing!

So no. That's not feasable. You only have one wheel and this has to be balanced. So you lean forward, you accelerate. You lean backward, you deccelerate. If anything injects ab additional throttle signal you fall.

• Like 1

Not interested in that weird motrocycle thingy, but I would have bought the initial Aikesu A8 project or the Uno Bolt without a handlebar in a second.

On 3/2/2022 at 1:48 AM, Chriull said:

If the motor accelerates by an throttle lever signal without you leaning forward you fall backward.

So no. That's not feasable. You only have one wheel and this has to be balanced. So you lean forward, you accelerate. You lean backward, you deccelerate. If anything injects ab additional throttle signal you fall.

Well now I’m curious about throttle and brake input. I know this is heresy but stay with me:

tilt back = external brake input. The board decides to slow you down and implements a tilt back. This is also kind of like counter-steering in that you use traction power to preset a balance condition. Why couldn’t this work for throttle?; A “tilt forward”?

Admittedly, this sounds terrifying. 

Now that I think of it, the “throttle” control could be interpreted by the controller as a desired speed setting. So I’m sitting on the seat, not moving and ready to go. I roll the throttle to 50%. The wheel initially rolls backward to a lean angle of 5 deg (or whatever). Self-balance causes the vehicle to move forward. Once the PWM reaches 50% (or whatever; could be based on throttle position) the lean angle is slowly decreased until speed is 50% (of max, say, 20km/h). Really sounds plausible to me. 

For a seated rider, this might be a more effective control paradigm than shifting weight. 

Edited by agranner

6 minutes ago, agranner said:

tilt back = external brake input.

But tilt back is not external brake input. It's simply a rearwards reduction of pedal angle, and the weight of the rider does the rest.

It can help though for sure. The Z10 had 'brake assist' which was a gentle rear tilt when braking was sensed. It's definitely easier to brake hard on a pedal thats tilted back instead of dead horizontal.

7 minutes ago, agranner said:

So I’m sitting on the seat, not moving and ready to go. I roll the throttle to 50%. The wheel initially rolls backward to a lean angle of 5 deg (or whatever). Self-balance causes the vehicle to move forward.

I'm struggling to see how this would work... If you are static, sitting on a wheel and the wheel tilts back then the riders weight will also tilt back, making the wheel go backwards. But you are saying it will move forwards? Either way, it sounds like any self-balancing has already been lost at this point... :wacko:

On 3/1/2022 at 5:08 PM, Refi64 said:

I got my Aikesu A9 unicycle this week. 2000 W, 1360 WH, looks hot, but I would have a question or two ...:
1. There are no setting options in the Chinese operating instructions. Here I read how to set up the gyroscope by pressing and holding the power button. Is there another way to set this?
Maybe on the motherboard?
2 Motherboard type: Begode_Unicycle_20210607, V12.6.
Does anyone have a description of this? I'd be grateful for!
Where could it be connected? If anyone had any information about this I would appreciate it very much ...
3. I feel very unstable, but it may be because I haven't gone through it yet and I can't get used to it ... Does anyone have any experience with this?

Gear up and give it a try. Read some of the great beginning riding info here and adjust it to the seated-with-handlebar setup. 

Please take this in the intended way, I am no expert. I have been riding an euc for 1 week/50 miles, but I have been riding motorcycles for over a decade. I would try sitting with both hands on the bars, both feet on the ground, power obviously on. I imagine it would feel like you can’t pitch it forward or back. I imagine I would push down on the handle bars and as the wheel moves forward, let yourself be pulled off your feet, only as you get some speed put your feet on the pedals. I cannot image how you steer but pulling up (back?) on the bars should stop you. 

7 minutes ago, Planemo said:

you are static, sitting on a wheel and the wheel tilts back then the riders weight will also tilt back

Not tilt back, roll back/tilt forward. Semantics but we all know that’s how self balancing works to tilt back (which we have all experienced), there is a traction force forward at the ground. 

35 minutes ago, agranner said:

tilt back = external brake input. The board decides to slow you down and implements a tilt back.

Tilt back means the wheels pedals tilting back (front part goes up, back part down). This does _not_ happen by the wheel slowing down but by accelerating! So it comes a bit in front of the rider and by him "falling" a bit backwards the tilt happens.

The wheel only breaks once one stays in this position leaving pressure on the back part of the pedal. If one leaves the pressure on the front of the pedal the wheel will continue to accelerate!

So i cannot see how any external input could nicely work without seriously inflicting the self balancing. I winder what this "manual brake/reverse" lever is for? Did not see a demonstration while scanning the videos here...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Tilt back means the wheels pedals tilting back (front part goes up, back part down). This does _not_ happen by the wheel slowing down but by accelerating!

Exactly! The wheel tilts back by accelerating. You, the rider still do the braking; the wheel helps you do that by “presetting” your backward lean. I feel it like the wheel rushes out in front of me. I know that I can “push through it” but I also know it’s there for a reason and I let it slow my speed.

I’m saying this happens in response to the controller “deciding” the speed is too high. What if the “brake lever” temporarily lowered the tilt back threshold? Pulling the lever results in tilt back and if the rider does not “push through” the vehicle slows. 

And there’s nothing special about presetting the lean back by accelerating. It could just as easily do the opposite: preset a forward lean by decelerating. It could do this in response to a throttle input just as easily as some kind of safety algorithm like the “speed limit”. 

I imagine that seated, it’s harder to aggressively move your balance forward and back. Standing, you are an inverted pendulum with a great distance from your pivot point (feet) to your center of mass. But seated, you have much less leverage. You’re basically sitting just a few inches below center of mass and you’ve lost the big pivot (hip joint) that we have while standing. Having these “tilt-assist” input functions could be useful. 

I know a lot of the bigger wheels have seats. Those who have experience riding seated: do you have reduced front/back sensitivity? Are you able to brake hard while seated? The Sherman has roll-bar-like-thingies. @PlanemoDo you Sherman riders grab them to help braking while seated? 

Like I said, I have no direct experience with most of this. I have ridden motorcycles a lot where the myth of leaning to control it is well debunked and counter steering is well understood. I have ridden pedal unicycles a lot where you have to literally pedal backwards to go forwards. This “uni-motorcycle” thing just makes me curious and the control algorithms are opaque to us consumers so I’m speculating. A. Lot. Cheers!

• Like 1

@Refi64 I think we can all agree that it’s not simple to add motor speed control on top of the self-balancing algorithm. Dynamics of a one-wheel vehicle rely on it including these uni-motorcycles (which I think look amazing!).

If you are thinking it’s unridable (it’s not, the videos) because you have never ridden a standing euc, you just have to trust it. They are stable (enough) at speeds (like walking speed) because of the self-balancing operation of the control board. Wear protective gear and be smart about your surroundings. Try the tips I wrote above and please let me know if they helped. Try using you feet like “training wheels” and rocking back and forth to feel how it works. 

If, on the other hand, you think because the ergonomics are different from an euc, that external controls would be useful, I agree! But you can’t get between the balance control and the motor or you crash. You should be able to piggy-back on the reference signal (from the gyro? Or accelerometer?) to re-define vertical for the balance algorithm. Euc apps can calibrate pedal angle, so this is possible. Maybe not far or fast enough to make a dynamic effect while riding though. The control algorithms I was postulating above would, I believe, require major re-code of the controller, not a simple hardware signal manipulation. 

If you do the mod, I want to hear about it!