Is mileage reset a thing?

Lefteris

It's a thought i had the other day and i haven't discussed it with anyone yet, but then again these forums exist to discuss things, so there..

I've seen from firmware hacking to mods to more things being done to wheels, so is there a chance that a second hand wheel may have been tampered so it's total displayed milage may vary from it's original/true milage ?

Am i wrong to think that these bad practices may become a thing in the coming months/years if not already happening to people by con-artists etc.!?

Is it just my imagination? Cause It's a concern I've been having for some time now...

Edited by Lefteris

1 hour ago, Lefteris said:

It's a thought i had the other day and i haven't discussed it with anyone yet, but then again these forums exist to discuss things, so there..

I've seen from firmware hacking to mods to more things being done to wheels, so is there a chance that a second hand wheel may have been tampered so it's total displayed milage may vary from it's original/true milage ?

Am i wrong to think that these bad practices may become a thing in the coming months/years if not already happening to people by con-artists etc.!?

Is it just my imagination? Cause It's a concern I've been having for some time now...

Technically it's possible, but personally I don't think that anyone tampers mileage counter in a wheel that is being sold. Traces of use are usually very visible and can be used to assess the mileage and intensity of use. Tyre/rim condition, scratches of the casing and pedals, dirt accumulated inside the wheel cavity to name a few. It's not a car, where difference of 50 000 kms means thousands $$$ of price difference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When the company does replace or sends the replacement yes, but what if this isn't the case.

I'm just saying that there are people out there that are con-artists, and how can we know if firmware is tampered, is there a way like in latest cars that there is a flag that is triggered, like in samsung phones, that is when the firmware was tampered with.

Is there any failsafe?

9 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Doubt it, but the used market is so small and community driven that I do not think that this an issue yet.

Hope it isn't yet but still manufacturers may want to make some failsafe to protect the customer.

• Upvote 1

In my understanding the firmwares are generally locked, and can’t be read or modified my a 3rd party unless the manufacturer has left an accidental back door.

Even so, when purchasing a 2nd hand wheel, the mileage is not very important. Store the battery at 0% for 6 months and a wheel with 0 mileage might need a new battery. Charge properly and a wheel with 10000 km on it may have a battery almost as good as new.

Which is why I don’t think anyone would or should bother tampering with the mileage.

Interestingly, the MSX has a bug that resets the current mileage if you put the wheel on it’s side and lift it back up, like you would after a fall. Do that after each trip and the mileage counter doesn’t advance anymore. (If you want it to advance, power the MSX off before lifting it back up.)

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1