The courteous car phenomenon

zentype

Sometimes I feel these wheels are enchanted and should be called +3 EUC of Driver Courtesy (Dungeons & Dragons / RPG speak) because for some reason, if a car is about to exit a parking lot, and I am about to cross their path as I ride along the sidewalk ..I find drivers' courtesy levels are now raised to superhuman levels...And they will wait and wait AND WAIT for me to cross in front of them and ride off into the distance before they begin to pull out... Even if there are no incoming cars on the street... and I'm still a quarter of a mile away! :lol:

They'll even back up to make room for me when they could have just driven onto the road and be on their way..It's amazing the technology these things have packed inside of them. Is it force field or witchcraft? :ph34r:

Just had to joke about that, because it was even worse today with the KS 14's headlight as I rode it near dusk... really really noticeable. Had a few good laughs each time it happened.

Ah! This happened to me yesterday, I was riding down a narrow path at night and I stopped to inspect my EUC (I heard something flick into the casing) then after a few minutes I stood up to remount and realised I'd been blocking the path for 2 people; they had just been stood silently behind me the whole time staring at me, I apologised profusely and gave them room to pass but they where happy to stay stood there gawping at me like an alien... I jumped on and sped off.

I often have the opposite experience but from the same cause.   I ride a lot in a large parking lot that is part of a park.  When I see cars entering the parking lot, I will try to ride away from them for my own safety.  However, they tend to ride towards me out of curiosity.   Sometimes I want a car to go ahead and pass me so that I can relax, but instead they slow down and track me.  

• 2 weeks later...

cool pic @zlymex !

Its almost embarassing, I ride up to cross a road, unmount, fiddle with something quick on my jacket, look up and everybody is already waiting for me to cross the road! :wub:

Its because they secretly want you to fall off i think, i get it a lot oo.

cool pic @zlymex !

Its almost embarassing, I ride up to cross a road, unmount, fiddle with something quick on my jacket, look up and everybody is already waiting for me to cross the road! :wub:

I'm socially awkward and I hate it when this happens. I have carried my EUC a whole street away before when this happened because I just can't 'perform' knowing I'm being gawped at, it's a horrible feeling.

Its because they secretly want you to fall off i think, i get it a lot oo.

I am past that luckily :lol: I faceplanted with full audience on my very first public ride, 15 meters away from my home. So it cant get any worse anymore. Basically this: You live freely if you haven't a reputation to lose.

I'm socially awkward and I hate it when this happens. I have carried my EUC a whole street away before when this happened because I just can't 'perform' knowing I'm being gawped at, it's a horrible feeling.

had to laugh at the 'perform' in quotations, happened to me too in the beginning. Especially when people ask you to show how you ride that thing.. then it never worked on the first try. But fear not, with a few miles on the clock it will become natural and you dont have to try extra hard anymore to make it look easy for the audience. :) 

cool pic @zlymex !

This is easy to fix. Just start thinking you are riding a bicycle.
Next phase is, you notice everybody staring at you, riding a bicycle. Are they morons? ;)

Well, most of people haven't still seen a electric unicycle so it's best to spread some positive karma and lift your thumb up and smile.

This is easy to fix. Just start thinking you are riding a bicycle.
Next phase is, you notice everybody staring at you, riding a bicycle. Are they morons? ;)

Well, most of people haven't still seen a electric unicycle so it's best to grow some positive karma and lift your thumb up and smile.

I actually found a smile and thumbs up is a good response to most people when they ask a question you can't hear or give you a funny look.

recently a postwoman on her clunky electric tricycle crossed my path dragging her chin along the tarmac looking at me. She couldnt believe her eyes, mouth wide open, almost ran into a postbox! :lol: She also got a smile and a thumbs up from me.

I am past that luckily :lol:I faceplanted with full audience on my very first public ride, 15 meters away from my home. So it cant get any worse anymore. Basically this: You live freely if you haven't a reputation to lose.

had to laugh at the 'perform' in quotations, happened to me too in the beginning. Especially when people ask you to show how you ride that thing.. then it never worked on the first try. But fear not, with a few miles on the clock it will become natural and you dont have to try extra hard anymore to make it look easy for the audience. :) 

I somehow think this would make a good thread lol.  I remember one of my first rides to a local cafe, I had breakfast and had my wheel propped up next to my chair (which meant a lot of people were eyeing me when I left.) I put my leftovers in a bag, didn't want to deal with the pedals while having only one hand free so I lowered them before I walked out. Which turned out to be a mistake as you'll see next....

I walk out the front door to a patio full of people, put on my sunglasses and mount the wheel (the pedals were already down) and lean forward....

And almost faceplant while holding a bag of food...(luckily my wrists broke my fall) I realized (too late) I forgotten to turn the wheel ON! :lol::lol: I'm sure if I didn't have my wrist guards on, I would probably have hurt them pretty bad.

As it was, the only thing hurt was my pride... I turn on the wheel (always a good idea) and ride away from the cafe, still wobbly ... I hear someone run outside and say "hey are you ok?" But I just keep riding... Probably didn't want anyone to see my face haha.

Anyways, the lesson is: Go through your pre-flight checklist before riding off, especially when in public in front of strangers.

But hey even in this funny situation, someone was courteous enough to ask if I was OK with not a laugh in the place when I landed on the ground with a thud. These things are magical I tell you..

oh, this is gold right there! Its exactly the pride that gets hurt the most. I was totally shaking of adrenaline, got up instantly, grabbed the wheel, flaps out, turn on, mount and try to not fail again. Succeeded and rode across the road and away from the scene asap. After a few seconds I had to stop again to loosen my shaking legs a bit.. phew.. pant pant.. :lol: Laughed at myself's reaction and relaxed for some time, then started the little trip around a small forest in my neighborhood I actually wanted to do.

Archived