Tilt-back and Warning Beeps - Speed or Limit-based?

skullforger

Hi,

This week, I bought an IPS 121/T350 from GoWheel.com (excellent service btw). It is my first EUC. After a couple of hours of intense practice (steep learning curve!), I am now able to ride it more or less ok. The only thing is, I seem to hit the tilt-back and beep limits quite soon (flat and smooth road, no hills, low speed). This may have to do with the fact that I weigh 120 kg, but I'm not sure.

From what I've read on the forums, the max speed of the IPS 121/T350 is 19.9km/h. Is this for a person with normal weight, and will it be lower for a heavy weight guy like me? Also, does the tiltback and the bleeping start when a certain current is drawn, or a certain voltage drop is experienced (which would be safest), or is it just speed-based?

Also, what is the difference between tilt-back and beeping. If I get the tilt-back, I can still push a bit harder until the beep. Is it safe to just stay below the beep-speed (which seems at least 5km/h faster then when the tilt-back kicks in)?

So how do these things work:

1- heavy people just reach the limits sooner and can't reach the normal max speed of 20km/h because everything is limit based?

2- it is speed based and tilt-back kicks in at predefined speed and then bleeping also at max speed of 19.9 km/h

Thanks a lot.

Not sure about the 121 but my 132's tilt back early when I'm going up the steep hills around my area. I'm 90kg and on the flat I can get about 16 kph but on the hills I get tilt back at much lower speeds.

Ok thanks for the info. Can anyone confirm this?

I think this is actually quite a big deal because that would mean that all the speeds everyone is talking about in the specs, are just for your 'normal' 70 kg person. I think the max speed could actually be only 60% if you're heavyweight like me.

It am 96kg, my Solowheel tilts  back at about 18 km which is spot on. You would have to have quite an underpowered wheel to not achieve top speed before tilt back

Whether a wheel can hit 'top speed' before tiltback is entirely to do with how much power it has left at the 'limit' to save you if you hit a bump.  However much power you have, if you use it all on speed then a bump is going to lead to a faceplant.

Also, depending on how the tilt-back kicks in, some wheels allow you to keep pushing.

Hi @@skullforger, it's Jason from WheelGo. Thanks for the commendation! In our testing, tilt-back engages at around 17kph on the 121; however, there is still another 2-3kph left in it, before the degree of tilt becomes to great to apply more forward force. 

With most 'brand' Wheels, the limiter will be enabled for both speed & power. That is, if you're going up a hill, the alerts & tilt-back should be kick in before the 17kph. The 121 is a decent climber, has excellent torque but please be careful with sudden accelerations with this model, if too aggressive it can cut-out. 

Thanks for the replies.

I could be wrong but I don't think the EUC can tell the difference between a heavy rider and going uphill. Both just draw more current and cause a bigger voltage drop. So again, this would mean that tilt-back/alert speeds are lower with a heavy rider, or that the safety margin for heavy riders is much smaller. It has to be one or the other, or a little bit of both. Still I think this is a big deal.

I just did a couple of test runs on a flat road, no incline, no wind, with various GPS speedometers and I can't get past 15kph because of the tilt-back, and I pushed quite hard. I guess I can push even harder but I didn't dare because a cut-off would mean a really nasty fall.

Is it safe to push beyond tilt-back until the warning beeps? Also @Jason McNeil , isn't there any more precise description available from the manufacturer explaining when and how the tilt-back kicks in and when the warning beeps do etc? There's nothing about those in the manual, and the cut-out stories really have me scared now.

All Wheels have limits, comparatively the 121 is pretty good & the tilt-back in most cases prevents the rider from overpowering the limits. Definitely agree there should be better clarification on the speed thresholds of the pedal tilt-back, warnings & absolute top-speed. On a running track with a GPS & stop-watch we were able to accurately measure the 19.5kph max speed, but realistic 'cruising' speed is about 18kph.  

• 2 months later...

Hi @Jason McNeil, how exactly did you measure the max speed of the 121? Do you keep pushing it past the warning signal, and if so, how far past it? Until BMS shutdown?

Also, if you're hugging the speed limit constantly, with the warning beeps sounding, like the guy in the following video does, will there be a final 'extra tilt-back' making it impossible to shutdown the unit? Or is this a dangerous thing to do with a constant threat of sudden shutdown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvqpfzzlq3Y

@skullforger the max speed tilt back will not depend on your weight and will kick in when its supposed to as preset for your wheel. The max power tiltback will depend on your weight and can kick in earlier. Now, the max power tiltback is more likely to kick in not when a heavy person is moving fast but rather when a heavy person rapidly accelerates. That will stress the system much more. If you accelerate as slowly as possibly you will find that you can attain much higher speeds before tilt back.

i am 100kg and have no problem accelerating to the speed limit with no tiltback. Althout, 20 kg matter, and when i do my laundry on the wheel i carry an about 10kg bad with clothes in each hand and ride to the laundromat. My weight is 120 kg at that time and i do feel the wheel somewhat struggling. In general just accelereta as smoothly as possible. Also pick a smooth pavement when testing to make sure no additional power is drawn to kee you stable over the pvement irregularities

Archived