Off road -> first practice :)

Guest PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur

I'm not sure if it's of any interest to you experienced riders, but I went off road for first time...

Just came back cause it's too dark to continue today's session.

Some of you had mentioned,that going off road is very skill building,and is improving everything,so riding on the streets flat surface becomes much easier.

Near by my house is large natural park,where you can spot family of 4 deer, foxes, I saw even badger long ago..., owls are as well, I can hear them calling,but had saw only once in the very dark...

Nevertheless, the point is there's no asphalt, no nothing,but pure nature park, with fields of grass,woods around, and a very tight pedestrian walking tracks...

This is where I were practicing tonight :)

I've chosen one narrow track within the grass and woods, that was going down hill a bit, so I could learn to follow its narrow shape,maintaining my balance,and once down at the bottom, I were setting off to go up again.., and so on :)

I did short training at the driveway after all, to do a little bit of practicing tight turnings... 

Thank you for reading dear friends.

PS.; @stephen - I'm not being rude at all, but tight/narrowed places are surrounding me, no opened areas lol  :) ... just yet :)

I have thousands of km under my belt, and every so often I am still pleasantly surprised to "realise" that I can suddenly do something new!

Off-roading will definitely hone your skills!

And remember... Practice, practice, practice!

Guest PogArt Artur
7 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I have thousands of km under my belt, and every so often I am still pleasantly surprised to "realise" that I can suddenly do something new!

Off-roading will definitely hone your skills!

And remember... Practice, practice, practice!

Cheers :)

Lol, when I were coming back home, I decided to go the street as well, you know, the dead end street that leads to my house.

I've mentioned the other day, it's makes me shaking just because of leaving my safety zone, the driveway :)

Well, yesterday I've not noticed any silly shaking as previously on the same street :)

It must be thanks to the off road short experience :)

Thanks for comment :)

Just now, PogArt Artur said:

Well, yesterday I've not noticed any silly shaking as previously on the same street :)

Beer helps too...   :cheers:

1 hour ago, PogArt Artur said:

Cheers :)

Lol, when I were coming back home, I decided to go the street as well, you know, the dead end street that leads to my house.

I've mentioned the other day, it's makes me shaking just because of leaving my safety zone, the driveway :)

Thanks for comment :)

It's lovely feeling when something just clicks and your riding 😊 , your doing well there's no rush, don't get to confident when you are off ,your speed will pick up gradually then you'll want another wheel,,, that's how it works 😂😂 your gunna be skint😂,,,i am🙁

Guest PogArt Artur

You know @stephen :)I told my wife of that riding too, she'd looked at me, and she's asked - you were riding on that narrowed track which is about two feet placed together wide?

She said then ; it's not even comfortable walk that way...

The last made me proud somehow :)

Regardless of above, I didn't do nothing extraordinary, just I went out to check, whether I manage it or not.

I'm not feeling confident yet, at all, all I'm doing is pushing my limits, but wisely, you following my posts, so you know I don't do crazy stuff, lol  :)

I woke up this morning with some idea...

To go on the wheel to Lady Hill Park, and back :)

I'm still thinking if this is good plan, but I'm willing to do so - pushing the limits again.

Regarding new wheel...

Well.

I wish :)

Unfortunately it's not going to happen.

The stuff is too expensive, maybe next year, if I manage to sell mine E+ for some reasonable money, to support new wheel expenses...

That's gonna be my New 2020 Year wish  :)

20 minutes of off-roading is like 8 or more hours of sidewalk surfing, if you're looking to improve your wheel-handling skills.

I always found climbing uphill extremely difficult, and prone to crashing, as once you lose traction it's very hard to know when to stay on the wheel versus bailing.

I have to agree with Langham - my kids and I learnt to ride in a grassy, lumpy back garden. We continue to practise figures 8's there until the cows come home. Until we can do them 100%, we will continue doing so. For info, the space we have to do 8's is about 25' x 12'. Not a lot.

We went to the park recently and all of us were riding around very well. further, the short distance we did on the pavement coming back from the park was a doddle.

Despite the frustrations and steep learning curve of practising in an enclosed, lumpy space, I believe it really helps when you come to expanding your horizons. If you can do tight figure 8's on a poor surface at a very low speed on a V5 (or similar) you have pretty much cracked it IMO. It's only the higher speed stuff that I am anticipating will require a whole new skillset. When we get back to a bigger space, we will be increasing speed very slowly, 1mph at a time.

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

20 minutes of off-roading is like 8 or more hours of sidewalk surfing, if you're looking to improve your wheel-handling skills.

I always found climbing uphill extremely difficult, and prone to crashing, as once you lose traction it's very hard to know when to stay on the wheel versus bailing.

I can imagine, it's not any easy ... !

Guest PogArt Artur
49 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I have to agree with Langham - my kids and I learnt to ride in a grassy, lumpy back garden. We continue to practise figures 8's there until the cows come home. Until we can do them 100%, we will continue doing so. For info, the space we have to do 8's is about 25' x 12'. Not a lot.

We went to the park recently and all of us were riding around very well. further, the short distance we did on the pavement coming back from the park was a doddle.

Despite the frustrations and steep learning curve of practising in an enclosed, lumpy space, I believe it really helps when you come to expanding your horizons. If you can do tight figure 8's on a poor surface at a very low speed on a V5 (or similar) you have pretty much cracked it IMO. It's only the higher speed stuff that I am anticipating will require a whole new skillset. When we get back to a bigger space, we will be increasing speed very slowly, 1mph at a time.

It's actually the same way I'm improving my skills...

Kitchen floor - very first tries after the wheel was delivered.

Driveway with waste bins around - my first steps outside.

No much room, car on the driveway,bins around, tight area to practice...

I'm practicing figure 8 at the driveway as well, very limited space...

I'm pushing my limits constantly, today I went on my own to local park,and back...

Thanks for comment.

Archived