MSX fender

Hi, everyone, I 3D-printed out fenders for my MSX from ABS which was supposed to be a strong and at the same time elastic material but first few even gentle wheel collapses and they were both gone (for some reason I put two fenders on my wheel: front and rear ones): one fell off the wheel when I didn't even take notice of and then the other had its hitches broken. Now I'm considering acquiring the original Gotway fender for my MSX, however, there is one issue that concerns me much which is: is this original Gotway MSX fender elastic to the extend that if a wheel falls down and batters around against curbs and the like would it, in your opinion, yield, bend and eventually survive or most likely would it break? And maybe some of you have already experienced similar accidents with your wheels equipped with the original MSX fenders...?

MSX fender.PNG

Hi, good question, I myself broke many 3d-printed fenders before buying the official Gotway mudflap. It is made of hard but flexible rubber and attaches with small screws that need to have their holes pre-drilled. The Gotway mudflap is very durable and flexible, my wheel has taken many falls and tumbles with it attached and I don't worry at all about breakage now.

OK, that's encouraging news! :thumbup: Thank you for it! And by the way, does it really effectively protect you against splashing your backs with water and mud while riding fast in heavy rain, since it does not look so very large or spacious?

I spent $35 for the Gotway fender from Aliexpress.  It was useless - got mud all over my pants.

My solution: cut a plastic bottle to match the shape of MSX and screw it on.  As you can see from the photo, some mud still gets out but it is much better.  A couple of more screws may fix the problem.  The plastic fender is soft.  If the wheel falls back, it may break the fender off.  But I had it for a couple month on muddy and/or snow paths and had not have a problem yet.

Share.jpg

8 hours ago, EU_commuter said:

I spent $35 for the Gotway fender from Aliexpress.  It was useless - got mud all over my pants.

My solution: cut a plastic bottle to match the shape of MSX and screw it on.  As you can see from the photo, some mud still gets out but it is much better.  A couple of more screws may fix the problem.  The plastic fender is soft.  If the wheel falls back, it may break the fender off.  But I had it for a couple month on muddy and/or snow paths and had not have a problem yet.

Share.jpg

thats pretty clever. 

10 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Maybe 3d print it using some kind of TPU.

This is what I wanted to do, I tried to teach myself blender to model one but I found it too difficult.  I see now though that there are a couple of fenders on Thingiverse - I'll probably just get my local 3d printing company to print these for me.

Archived