KS18XL strange noise

travsformation

On 1/18/2019 at 12:47 PM, travsformation said:

Hi,

Quick technical question here addressed to other 18XL owners ( @Marty Backe, @Lutalo, @The Fat Unicyclist, @ED209, @Yanex87 and...who am I forgetting?)

Will hopefully write a proper post on my first impressions on the XL this weekend, but have a quick question about something that I'm not too sure whether it's normal or not. First day of riding, no issues. Second day, a dog ran out in front of me (was doing about 30 km/h), I swerved, and the wheel started the wobble-dance of death; I was able to slow down a fair bit while trying to control it (to somewhere between running and jogging speed; far from faceplant), but ultimately, I realized either I bailed, or it was going to end up with a washout, so I bailed. The  wheel kept on going without me for a few meters, turning towards the right, then hit the curb (with only the tire) at an angle, bounced and landed on its side. Ride home was uneventful.

Went out for a ride today and felt something was off, like the wheel was working against me, trying to stay horizontally upright when I leaned. First I attributed it to having just installed the XL pedals, but after a while, I started to feel that the wheel was constantly leaning to the right, always digging into my right calf and making turns to the left feel difficult and uneasy. I started to worry I'd bent the rim or damaged the axle, but found it unlikely with KS's reputation for build quality and the fact it didn't take that bad a hit. Then I remembered the KS app has horizontal calibration, so I came home, reinstalled the KS app, stood the wheel up straight, did the horizontal calibration and changed from "learner mode" (which I guess is activated by default) to "expert mode".

It seemed to fix the issue. Then I noticed a noise that sounded like a slight mechanical grinding or scraping. This occurs primarily at low speeds and when braking. I know KS motors have a reputation for being loud (and damn, is this thing loud compared to my V8), with that particular KS high-pitched whine, but I don't recall having read any reports of any such noises. I checked with a flashlight and there don't seem to be any leaves or mud stuck inside, and the wheel doesn't make that noise when I spin the wheel with it off. TBH, I couldn't say whether it made this noise the first two days or not; the first day I was testing the speakers while riding and second day don't recall hearing anything odd, but might have missed it due to the excitement of my first proper ride.

I have a few recordings here:

Braking (noise starts at second 6; sorry about the wind noise): https://vocaroo.com/i/s05iaWL9JzhR

Constant low-speed: https://vocaroo.com/i/s1rCm5sT5h6N

Spinning the tire with the wheel off: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0voPeT0IlgL

Could this be the motor? Is it normal? It's got me a bit worried, I've only had the 18XL for 3 days... :facepalm:

Maybe it's just paranoia and the noise is normal (my first KS), but I can't shake the sense of uneasiness and would be eternally grateful for any input you guys can provide!  :):cheers:

Please re upload voice again i wanna compare with my wherl

• Like 1