V5F or KS14D or MTen3?

pentachen

My V5F of 1.5years is starting to kick the bucket and I'd like to get another 14" wheel to replace it.  Since the KS14D is $300 more than the V5F on ewheels.com right now, I'm considering just buying another V5F instead of upgrading.  Are any of you able to upsell me on a KS14D/MTen3?

I mainly ride to commute around Seattle.  I have to weave through pedestrians often, so I value the nimbleness of a small wheel.  It's hard (and dangerous!) to hit top-speed on the sidewalk, but when I go into a bikelane, my current V5F has trouble keeping up with bikes.  

KS14D 
+ 3mph faster
- sorta ugly

V5F
+ higher pedal clearance
+ motor shutoff button in handle to quickly get up stairs / curbs
+ already own one so 0 adjustment needed
- slow (tiltback starts at 12mph)

MTen3
+ fastest
+ smaller
- smaller

1 hour ago, pentachen said:

My V5F of 1.5years is starting to kick the bucket and I'd like to get another 14" wheel to replace it.  Since the KS14D is $300 more than the V5F on ewheels.com right now, I'm considering just buying another V5F instead of upgrading.  Are any of you able to upsell me on a KS14D/MTen3?

I mainly ride to commute around Seattle.  I have to weave through pedestrians often, so I value the nimbleness of a small wheel.  It's hard (and dangerous!) to hit top-speed on the sidewalk, but when I go into a bikelane, my current V5F has trouble keeping up with bikes.  

KS14D 
+ 3mph faster
- sorta ugly

V5F
+ higher pedal clearance
+ motor shutoff button in handle to quickly get up stairs / curbs
+ already own one so 0 adjustment needed
- slow (tiltback starts at 12mph)

MTen3
+ fastest
+ smaller
- smaller

Does your budget allow you to buy a brand new king song 14d? Why not just buy a V8 INMOTION for th same price as a ks14d? You’ll still have relatively the same nimbleness and get used to it quite quickly since you had a v5. The speed will allow you to keep or pass bicyclist. 

I don't think the mten3 is comparable. I wouldn't buy one for more speed. On a 10 inch tire? Not sure.

Since you're talking of upselling, go all the way and get a

:wub::wub::wub:Gotway MCM5:wub::wub::wub:

It has all the nice features (handle, light, lift button), and will make your nimble V5F feel like a lethargic generic. More power = better acceleration, braking, control, nimbleness for ultimate quick weaving and maneuvering. A different level of what you can do. And best in existence electronics as a bonus.

Just pretend you never saw the price;)

If it's between the V5F and the 14D, at these prices, really hard to say what is the better choice. Very balanced. But if you say the V5F is too slow for you sometimes, I think an upgrade to the MCM5 is worth it.

-

Side question, how did you notice your wheel is going bad? Usually they work like on day one until they don't (except for maybe notable battery degradation after a lot of miles).

55 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Does your budget allow you to buy a brand new king song 14d? Why not just buy a V8 INMOTION for th same price as a ks14d? You’ll still have relatively the same nimbleness and get used to it quite quickly since you had a v5. The speed will allow you to keep or pass bicyclist. 

14D and V8 are both 18.6mph, aren't they?  I'd choose the 14D in this scenario because it's $49 cheaper and smaller (but the V8 does have higher pedal clearance).

46 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Since you're talking of upselling, go all the way and get a

:wub::wub::wub:Gotway MCM5:wub::wub::wub:

It has all the nice features (handle, light, lift button), and will make your nimble V5F feel like a lethargic generic. More power = better acceleration, braking, control, nimbleness for ultimate quick weaving and maneuvering. A different level of what you can do. And best in existence electronics as a bonus.Just pretend you never saw the price;)

I actually considered getting it when I saw news of a 35mph 14".  But then I realized it's super wide and heavy (was hoping for some scientific miracle).

50 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Side question, how did you notice your wheel is going bad? Usually they work like on day one until they don't (except for maybe notable battery degradation after a lot of miles).

I had my first wet-floor slip last month and it was the straw that broke the camel's back.  The wheel got a little tilted and started rubbing up against the shell, so I sanded off some of the shell to compensate but now the valve has a slow leak that turns into a fast leak whenever it's bumped.  It might get bumped by the shell whenever I turn, but I can't be sure.  I can't guarantee that a new inner-tube won't suffer the same problems, and I don't want to keep sanding the shell until my left pedal just snaps off one day.  Disassembling the EUC takes a few hours for me and time is money, so in the end I thought it's best to just get a new wheel that I can trust.

tl;dr i fell too much

18 minutes ago, pentachen said:

I actually considered getting it when I saw news of a 35mph 14".  But then I realized it's super wide and heavy (was hoping for some scientific miracle).

Is lightweight/carryable so important to you? You won't feel a wheel's weight when you're riding it. And the wide stance gives you good control, so it's also a positive.

I'm wondering, if the V5F is too slow for you, will the 14D be enough of an upgrade? Maybe a compact 16 incher like a 16S (or just the MCM5) might be worth it for you.

59 minutes ago, pentachen said:

14D and V8 are both 18.6mph, aren't they?  I'd choose the 14D in this scenario because it's $49 cheaper and smaller (but the V8 does have higher pedal clearance).

I had my first wet-floor slip last month and it was the straw that broke the camel's back.  The wheel got a little tilted and started rubbing up against the shell, so I sanded off some of the shell to compensate but now the valve has a slow leak that turns into a fast leak whenever it's bumped.  It might get bumped by the shell whenever I turn, but I can't be sure.  I can't guarantee that a new inner-tube won't suffer the same problems, and I don't want to keep sanding the shell until my left pedal just snaps off one day.  Disassembling the EUC takes a few hours for me and time is money, so in the end I thought it's best to just get a new wheel that I can trust.

tl;dr i fell too much

I don't know if you're talking about the MCM5, but if you are, it's not a super wide wheel :blink1:  The MCM5 is a small wheel in all aspects.

The mcm5 seems like a lot of money for a 14in wheel but after having mine for about 150miles I'd say it's a bargain. 

It will do all the people pinball you want on a busy sidewalk. It will cruise comfortably at 18 to 20mph like a 16in wheel. It corners like it's on rails and stops very quickly.  It kind of plays in between sizes. The fact that it will climb almost anything I can get my mountain bike up withough getting hot is icing on the cake. 

@pentachen, for your use case the mcm5 is perfect. Of you haven't already check out @Marty Backe's videos on the mcm5. This is part 1 of his stress test but there are a lot of videos on the mcm5 on his channel. 

Caution,  it has been medically proven if you watch this video you will buy an mcm5 :rolleyes:

Archived