Wow, great information, and very nicely laid out! Videos are worth a 1000 words. It's so useful to have knowledgable people on the forum (indirectly:efeebb3acc:), for us this is rocket science, for your gf this is probably obvious and child's play. Give her a big thanks!

12 hours ago, travsformation said:

And lastly, the better shape you're in, the less prone you are to injuries.

Oh dear💀:whistling:

--

A related question: you say shoulder strength is the best way to prevent injury from falling onto your hands. Is there also some benefit to stretching certain shoulder/arm muscles in advance, should this happen?

Specifically, I'm asking about the muscle that sits on the inside of your upper arm and ends right where your armpit begins on the inside/front side of your upper arm. Because there it hurt a bit for quite a long time after my fall. E.g. when you'd throw a ball, you'd feel it as a sharp pain/sensitivity. Since it was early on a cold morning, I wasn't exactly warmed up there, and always wondered how big a role that played and if some stretching would have helped.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

A related question: you say shoulder strength is the best way to prevent injury from falling onto your hands. Is there also some benefit to stretching certain shoulder/arm muscles in advance, should this happen?

I asked my girlfriend (she says hi, by the way!), and she told me that for this scenario, the most important factor is strength. Weak muscles are more likely to be injured, while stronger muscles can take the impact with less strain. I didn't mention lower body muscle strengthening in the original post because riding the wheel actually strengthens them, so what is most needed is flexibility (obtained via stretching). In addition to strengthening the shoulder muscles I mentioned, you could add biceps and triceps strengthening exercises (just look up "strengthen biceps/triceps" in Youtube and you'll get more exercises than you could every need). And of course, to exercise them in a balanced way that doesn't cause stiffness, it's advisable to stretch afterwards (this applies to all muscles, so stretching should also be done for the shoulder strengthening exercises mentioned in the original post). But for upper body, you don't need to strengthen and stretch immediately before riding, but in general. Although warming up shoulders and arms before riding is definitely beneficial :efee8319ab:

Hope this helps! :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like my shoulder-strengthening exercises are paying off. On the other day's fall, apparently my (twice-dislocated) shoulder took part of the hit and I didn't even notice.

iyo380.jpg

I'm not sure how a 15 km/h faceplant compares to falling off a table that I was drunk-dancing on when I last disclocated it 2 years ago, but even if I take this with a grain of salt, I'm still going to consider it a small victory! :efee612b4b:

BTW @meepmeepmayer,  I'm starting to see what you meant about the cost of new clothes...

Edited by travsformation
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, travsformation said:

BTW @meepmeepmayer,  I'm starting to see what you meant about the cost of new clothes...

:efee612b4b: (Sorry I had to laugh)

It sounds funny at first, but one fall and you realize it's an actual concern. If you just go out with your normal "nice" clothes, then consider the possibility of making them unusable in a fall. It's not likely, but it can happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

:efee612b4b: (Sorry I had to laugh)

It sounds funny at first, but one fall and you realize it's an actual concern. If you just go out with your normal "nice" clothes, then consider the possibility of making them unusable in a fall. It's not likely, but it can happen.

😁Hehe I saved my ruined trousers from my crash. Just to use for rides later so I don't ruin another "good" pair of trousers again.

Silly thought at first, but combined with my pullover mc trousers in winter cold period, I have done this twice now.