Considering switching from Onewheel+ to EUC

Espen R

I'm 189 (6f2,5i), weigh 110 kg (242lbs), and I have been riding a Onewheel+ for about a year. I really love my OW, but not the range/playtime, and I don't think even the XR could give me the range/playtime I dream of. Therefore, I have started to look at EUC's. The MsuperX has everything I could ever need, but I'm unsure of Gotways quality? There are some great deals on KS-18 A and S, but are 1200/1500W enough for my weight? If I drop some range/playtime, the V10F looks great, but again quality issues. Then there are others that I have disregarded for no other reason than my noob reasoning. 

I'm lost in my vast noobness, and I would really appreciate some advice   

V10F currently has overload issues with heavier riders.  

I would go with either the MSX or the 18S. The MSX has more than enough power for you.  The build quality is a little underwhelming.  If you drop it a couple of times, the shell will crack.  On the other hand the 18S is built like a tank.  Also the seat is much more comfortable since it is higher.  I’ve also seen lots of bigger guys on both these wheels.  If you are afraid of cut outs, I would say the MSX hasn’t had any since they upgraded the electronics from the previous versions.  You just have to be careful the first 100 miles or so where it is most likely for the electronics to be faulty.  

Here is a video comparing the ks18L and S to the MSX

Don't worry too much about W numbers.

18 inchers: Gotway msuper X or KingSong 18S (tall form factor) or 18L (low form factor) are good. I wouldn't go for a KS18 non-S (or non-L), there are different models (A, AY, AY+ or so) and they are quite old now, not recommended unless you can get one for a really good price, they're not comparable to the newer ones.
It may be too far away, but a 18LX (18L with 1600Wh battery) is also coming.

16 inchers: Gotway Tesla or ACM2 (if you can still get one)

These would be the ones usually recommended for a heavier/bigger rider.

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

V10F currently has overload issues with heavier riders.  

I would go with either the MSX or the 18S. The MSX has more than enough power for you.  The build quality is a little underwhelming.  If you drop it a couple of times, the shell will crack.  On the other hand the 18S is built like a tank.  Also the seat is much more comfortable since it is higher.  I’ve also seen lots of bigger guys on both these wheels.  If you are afraid of cut outs, I would say the MSX hasn’t had any since they upgraded the electronics from the previous versions.  You just have to be careful the first 100 miles or so where it is most likely for the electronics to be faulty.  

Here is a video comparing the ks18L and S to the MSX

I can get the 18S 1360Wh for 1500 euros, (1730 usd) and the MSX for 2093 euros, (2400 usd). I do like quality items, but I only live 2,5 hours away from the shop that sells the MSX. The 18S is from a european online shop, far away from Sweden. 500 euros saved should be a nobrainer, but my brain is filled with a lot of but this and but that. New vs ols, ugly vs a bit less ugly, close to shop vs faraway, and so on.....  

I've had my share of cut outs on the OW, and learned the hard way when I could ask for more power and when I could not. 

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Don't worry too much about W numbers.

18 inchers: Gotway msuper X or KingSong 18S (tall form factor) or 18L (low form factor) are good. I wouldn't go for a KS18 non-S (or non-L), there are different models (A, AY, AY+ or so) and they are quite old now, not recommended unless you can get one for a really good price, they're not comparable to the newer ones.
It may be too far away, but a 18LX (18L with 1600Wh battery) is also coming.

16 inchers: Gotway Tesla or ACM2 (if you can still get one)

These would be the ones usually recommended for a heavier/bigger rider.

18LX!! That might be the missing link for me. When does it come out?

1 hour ago, Espen R said:

18LX!! That might be the missing link for me. When does it come out?

Not sure. A prototype model courtesy of U.S. seller @Jason McNeil (ewheels.com) is currently in transit from China and will do a round through the U.S. to various people. I'd say at least 2 months before you can get one in E.U. regularly, unless some seller flies some in AND the thing is officially released in the next month (doubtful, KS aren't that quick). Hard to say. Maybe in December at earliest?

Here's the source for that:

Please be advised, the only quality difference between KingSongs and Gotways is stuff like build quality and how it fares in a crash (and the Gotways aren't flimsy at all! Just easier to break than maybe others, but not at all easily.). There will be NO difference in safety, regarding cut-outs etc. You do NOT have to worry about safety with ANY current brand wheel in this manner (see more below).

The point is, a msuper X is NOT less safe than a KingSong, if you had that impression. Quality in various aspects is another thing and can be debated. But as long as you don't push cars with it, nothing bad is going to happen:efee8319ab:

Take your time, do some research, get the wheel you really want according to aesthetics and whatever, don't worry about safety differences, they don't exist in the narrower sense (allowing the rider to disable alarms is not a safety issue in my book, but some people disagree).

--

Can I ask a some questions about the Onewheel?

It appears (from r/onewheel) that these things cut-out (effectively switch off mid ride) a lot. Is that because people stress them too much, and the meager tiltback (pushback) isn't enough to warn them (I was surprised to see that Onewheels apparently have no warning beeps! All EUCs have them!!)? Or is it because the hardware actually will just switch off randomly (under too high stress) without warning?

The latter (just switching off) was a thing for very early EUCs, but this will NOT happen with any half-modern EUC. And as said, there are also warning beeps. You do NOT have to worry about a sudden cut-out with any wheel you'd consider, and there are plenty of warnings when you approach their limits (beeps, and the tiltback will be much more pronounced than it can be on the Onewheel geometry). You do NOT have to guess whether there will be a sudden cut-out with electric unicycles, there won't. Apparently, on Onewheels that's still a thing?

Onewheel push back is very noticeable. Most people ignore it in the quest for greater speed. They, do not, usually shut off for no reason. Having said that, the last time I rode mine at 13.5 mph with 82% battery, it randomly shut off with no pushback. Keep in mind that mine is a V1 model but it still can go 15mph. I was not on an uphill. I was on mostly flat ground . I could have taken my foot off the sensor because I was adjusting my foot placement 30 seconds before, however, it is unlikely. I have not heard of random shut offs on the newer models except for the early XR models.

I have a OneWheel+ XR and the pushback is very aggressive and I haven't being able to push through it.
This has lead to me going down a hill at 26.4 km/h looking like Captain Morgan and almost falling off.
I weigh 68kg.

My friend on the other pushed my OneWheel to it's limits and accelerated up a hill reaching a top speed of a little over 27 km/h.
This caused a nose dive and he tried to run off, failed and went sliding.
He weighs 95kg and had a pretty easy time pushing through the tilt on flats and could pass the 24 km/h barrier at will.

18 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Can I ask a some questions about the Onewheel?

It appears (from r/onewheel) that these things cut-out (effectively switch off mid ride) a lot. Is that because people stress them too much, and the meager tiltback (pushback) isn't enough to warn them (I was surprised to see that Onewheels apparently have no warning beeps! All EUCs have them!!)? Or is it because the hardware actually will just switch off randomly (under too high stress) without warning?

The latter (just switching off) was a thing for very early EUCs, but this will NOT happen with any half-modern EUC. And as said, there are also warning beeps. You do NOT have to worry about a sudden cut-out with any wheel you'd consider, and there are plenty of warnings when you approach their limits (beeps, and the tiltback will be much more pronounced than it can be on the Onewheel geometry). You do NOT have to guess whether there will be a sudden cut-out with electric unicycles, there won't. Apparently, on Onewheels that's still a thing?

The cut-outs I have gotten isn't because I ignored the pushback, they are a bit more unpredictable than that, until you learn when they might occur. The most common is when you try to accelerate to fast, but then you can easily run out the nosedive. The once where I have hurt myself is when I am close to the limit, usually going uphill, and hit a small bump in the road. Then there probably aren't enough voltage to maintain the speed and compensate for the bump, and it cuts out. Luckily I was a stupidly brave ski-jumper growing up, with a decent talent for the jumping and flying part, but no talent in the landing part, so I have a lot of experience in falling;)  Nosediving in 25 km/h only gave me bruises, but the one time I fell backwards, my elbow was in an unnatural position until I managed to pull it back, and the muscle attachment for my biceps almost tore straight off. It was hanging by a painful thread for months until it slowly recovered.

I'm glad to hear EUC's have more built in safety!

Anyone in Sweden/Norway want to buy a Onewheel+?

Archived