Just got my G3 today! Wow!

tscottn

Ordered a new G3/G2L bundle from Jason at Ewheels yesterday. I been contemplating getting a better wheel than my S1 for awhile now. Especially since I just wanted a little more speed, and better ride quality from a wheel, now that I am getting pretty comfortable with riding a EUC.    Well I finally decided to make the leap.  After thinking about price vs performance, and what I am going to use the wheel for as well as my own capabilities, I decided that while a V10F or a KS18L would be pretty awesome to have,  because I am at the point in my life that I could afford a top of the line wheel or two if I want.  I just felt like the G3 would be a good step up from the S1.  And boy was I right!  I must admit that the first time I took it out of the box I was in awe at the fit and finish and size difference from my S1.  But weirdly enough, even though it is a bigger wheel than my current one it feels lighter to me than the S1 does when I pick it up.. 

So...  after putting the cover on and charging it up to 100% and then slimming the tire, I decided that this is the time to hop on this bad boy and give it a whirl.  The first thing I noticed is that getting my second foot up on the floorboard was much mush easier than doing it on the S1.  On the S1 it is always just a quick hop up from a stand still and then getting momentum forward.  It can be a little awkward for me still.  But on the G3 I was able to push off with my foot and gracefully ( for me anyway) place my second foot up on the board as I simultaneously moved forward.  This is something I have not been able to do yet on my S1 and now I was able to do it with ease on the G3 first time out the gate.  Not sure why but maybe its the height or the larger boards or something but + 1 for the mount action!!

Next thing I noticed is that I could not ride this thing for shit..  It felt like I was starting over at day 1 again.  With my S1 i can easily throw my weight around and make it do what I want.  With the G3 it was like I was riding a horse that had a mind of its own.  It really took me about on hour or two of sheer will to get use to how I need to shift my weight.  Im still not 100% of where I am on my S1 riding but I am slowly getting there!  Few more ride sessions and I should be able to carve and turn like I was doing before.  Also braking is not as quick for me either.  Im not sure if it is the machine or me,  but I really need to put a lot of brake force behind me to get it to slow down.  One thing I didn't like out of the box was that it came with a slight forward tilt of the pedals,  so I did a adjustment using the app and zeroed the pedals out to be completely level.  Not sure if that makes a diff with braking but I do see how a slight forward tilt could make braking a little easier since you dont need to shift so much weight behind you, but I just didn't like the feel of the forward tilt.  I will keep it at zero for now and as I get more comfortable I can always make adjustments.  

As far as speed goes I have to tell you that I am very satisfied.  As for someone that makes a living using all four of my limbs I dont really have a desire ( right now anyway ) to go faster than 15 /18 mph with 18 probably being a bit too fast for me.  On my S1 I always just felt like "if only I had just a few more MPH before tilt back".. Nothing crazy but just a few more would do, well now I have a few more  and I am very satisfied with that.  Climbing the hills in my neighborhood are relatively a piece of cake now.  The G3 handles these with ease.  

One thing I am noticing is that on straight and level pavement my S1 seems to have a better ride quality at any speed above 10 mph.  On my G3 as soon as I start gaining some speed there seems to be a hop that develops.  At first I thought it was the road, but its not, then I thought well maybe its the tire, but nope I dont see anything on the tire that would be abnormal.  So I was just wondering if anyone else that has a G3 notices this hop at speed?  

Other than that I am extremely satisfied and I want to thank Jason from Ewheels as he was very helpful and knowledgeable!  Thanks guys and I will report more back as I get more time on the new wheel!

Glad you are enjoying your new wheel. I have the V8 and love it. If I had the money I'd upgrade but not because I'm dissatisfied with the V8 at all. 

What do you mean by the wheel hopping at speed. I've no problem like that at all. How much slime did you put in the tire? Prior reports suggest that too much can cause instability. 

For braking, work on your foot position. For me I find the V8 is most stable with my feet quite fast forward but this compromises braking ability. Moving my feet back improves breaking but can introduce wobble. Play with your foot position and see what happens. @houseofjob recommended one foot forward and one further back for the best of both worlds but I've not mastered that yet. 

6 hours ago, tscottn said:

One thing I am noticing is that on straight and level pavement my S1 seems to have a better ride quality at any speed above 10 mph.  On my G3 as soon as I start gaining some speed there seems to be a hop that develops.  At first I thought it was the road, but its not, then I thought well maybe its the tire, but nope I dont see anything on the tire that would be abnormal.  So I was just wondering if anyone else that has a G3 notices this hop at speed? 

@tscottn

I recently got a new wheel with a similar issue.............I suspected that the tire was not seated in the bead properly so I did a lift test with the wheel on, and carefully angled it so I could get the wheel/tire to rotate so I could observe it’s roundness. Sure enough the tire was more out of round than normal and was causing a vertical moment to the wheel that I could easily see and feel with the wheel suspended by my hands.

So without taking the wheel apart I simply fully deflated the tire and gently rotated it on the wheel about ninety degrees being careful not to put too much sideways pressure on the valve stem, was able to rotate the tire while the inner tube stayed in position. Then fill just a bit to maybe around 5psi. Then rotate and massage the tire pushing it around the full circumference to be sure the bead is seated well all around the tire. Then fully inflate. When I did this the tire was back to round and ran baby-butt smooth both with a lift test and out on the smooth pavement. The “hop” was gone and the ride was perfect.

I don’t know what was more helpful in my case......simply deflating and re-inflating to make sure bead was seated well, or if my rotating the tire to a new position sorta accomplished a down and dirty “balance” but at any rate my new wheel runs nice and smooth now with no “vertical wobble” or as you described a “hop”.

Also hope you didn’t put too much slime in the tire that might be causing the issue, but I would not suspect that unless you used way, way more than you need.......I think something like 4 oz is enough.

thanks guys, not sure but i dont think i put too much slime in, i just out a few squeezes from a small bottle.  probably around 3oz.  I think it may be the seating of the tire on the rim.  I will check that today. Thanks for your suggestions!  I will report back. 

Ok well I just did a test and the wheel does seem out of shape a bit when I spin it on its side.  I did let the air out and re inflated it slowly while trying to get the bead more aligned.  I dd this twice and was able to make it a little better but not perfect at all.  The hop is still there at speed.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to align the tire with the rim so it rides smoother?  

20 hours ago, tscottn said:

its not, then I thought well maybe its the tire, but nope I dont see anything on the tire that would be abnormal.  So I was just wondering if anyone else that has a G3 notices this hop at speed

Yes, Sometimes my V8, glide 3 will want to power the wheel more than  the grip and momentum allow. Think of it like posi traction in a car, in that sometimes the wheels will “screetch” (certainly not at 18mph, but on a car) and burn a little rubber due to the power and not enough downforce or grip. Could mean you have a very balanced light stance. Thats what I attribute my bounces to. Usually just letting off accelerating for an instant and resuming, kinda like tapping the accelrator while accelerating uphill so it lurches instead of bounces a little. This usually solves it for me.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:49 AM, tscottn said:

Ok well I just did a test and the wheel does seem out of shape a bit when I spin it on its side.  I did let the air out and re inflated it slowly while trying to get the bead more aligned.  I dd this twice and was able to make it a little better but not perfect at all.  The hop is still there at speed.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to align the tire with the rim so it rides smoother?  

yeah, deflate the tire enough so u can easily go around the whole tire squeezing it and popping the bead out. then i took a paint brush and wisked off any loose sand, then i dipped the brush in a squirt of dawn dish detergent and water, and soaped the rim and tire real good. while it’s all soapy and wet, pump it up to max pressure and let it sit until it dries.

well thanks for the replies , I tried deflating / rotating the tire / inflating and while it seems to have gotten a little better I just cannot get it to ride smoothly.  When I turn the tire by hand I can see how out of balance it is by observing the sidewall and how it moves with my eye.  This unevenness translates into a oscillation ( hop) at speed above 5 mph and gets worse the faster I go.  When I jump back on my segway it rides like butter.  Not sure what I should do next.  Maybe get a new tire?  

You've done all you should do to a new wheel. Contact eWheels for the next move. Tire replacement requires considerable disassembly which is not something you should have to do to a new wheel. @Jason McNeil will get you rolling in no time. eWheels is a very reliable reseller.

Archived